Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1785434 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2010, 08:49:37 pm »

I'm not in the Marines but I did decide to enlist.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2010, 10:46:45 pm »

I have tons of work due soon that I haven't started on but that's more stress than fear.

Also, I'm flying from Kentucky to Colorado and this whole TSA security thing has scared me a little. I definitely want to reduce my risk of getting cancer so I don't want to do the X-ray machine, but that enhanced pat-down thing is scary as well. I'm a white guy who hasn't been sexually assaulted so I'm basically in the lowest risk group, but man this still has some potential to go wrong.

If you haven't already made the flight then my advice is look sharp. It's pretty easy to scan the lines and figure out which are heading towards the full body scanners. Just get in a different line. If anyone questions you just be honest. You're afraid of the radiation.

As for me, Pretty much everything.
Signature goes here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2010, 10:52:57 pm »

onco exam in 3 hours
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2010, 11:32:18 pm »

Freeking creepiest dream I have ever had. As with most dreams, I can't say exactly how it started, but it was a more or less normal dream to begin with, increasing in creepiness over time. Near the end, there was some sort of homicidal, semi-humanoid robot which had been highly damaged, leaving it with not much more than a head, a torso, and arms, all of which is varying states of disrepair. In the end, it gets caught, and is mostly disabled, but has a power source which myself and a friendly (whose details and such I can not now recall) were unable to turn off. As we decide to just shoot the damn thing, the dream's creepiness got turned up to 11. I hear myself saying something to the effect of 'We will not be killed so easily.' At which point I think 'holy sh*t, there's a homicidal robot invading my mind.' The prospect of which scares me enough to cause me to wake up almost instantly.

I, and probably just about everyone else, has had dreams where some invisible force or entity is impeding actions or altering them somehow (the common can't run away or similar effects). However, I can't ever remember another case of an entity within my dream taking control, even for a brief moment, of the entity in which my dream places me; especially not to give a defiant monologue of all things.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2010, 11:36:22 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:26:28 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2010, 11:39:30 pm »

Friend of mine found some video footage of us on her camera that she didn't remember shooting and which had some weird audio distortion.

Turned out it was just really old and filmed during a thunderstorm, but hey, for a minute there there was a bit of an OHSHI-
#
.. Slendyyyyy...
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2010, 11:40:49 pm »

I was terrified about a message from *Gulp* Toady. I am never going to make a thread again.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2010, 11:44:37 pm »

I was terrified about a message from *Gulp* Toady. I am never going to make a thread again.
Just make one less...prone to argumentation.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2010, 11:54:36 pm »

Nope. Never again.

Do you have any idea the sheer impotence I felt? I felt like I was leaving a flaming sack of crap on the doorstep of a king. And instead of being merciful and killing you, he sits you down and gives you a stern talking to. It was terrible :'(.

So no more threads :-X.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2010, 04:54:43 pm »

I had a dream that there was this malevolent supernatural sickness that got into your head and drove you slowly mad.  The only way you could tell it was there was the rain.  When you were sick, you started seeing the rain...all the time.  Even on a clear day, it starts out cloudy and sprinkling.  But it never stops.  As the days go by, the rain gets steadily harder and harder...a downpour, a torrent, and after a while you can't see five feet in front of your face and you can't hear from the deafening roar.  You end up in pounding blackness, forever, screaming because you think that nobody else can hear you.

So you've read about the sickness and you know that it exists.  Every day, for the rest of your life, when you wake up in the morning and it's raining you have to ask yourself...Is it real?  Or have I finally started to go mad?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2010, 04:58:53 pm »

Sounds like a good concept for a game.
*Hugs*

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2010, 05:12:20 pm »

Amnesia: Dark descent
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2010, 05:23:39 pm »

Sounds like a good concept for a game.
I'm actually thinking of throwing this at my Deadlands group.  Out of the blue, no hints, and they've only got so many days to figure out that someone put a hex on them (and stop it) before it's all over.  Downright Lovecraftian, really, especially when the roof of the library starts leaking--in their madness-clouded imaginations.  And I suppose the benefits of giving the good guys penalties to see in the rain while the bad guys don't get 'em is another plus.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2010, 10:01:04 pm »

I can't see that translating to the medium of video games very effectively. It is indeed quite Lovecraftian, and as such might make a decent short story or even hour long movie. However, tying it into a cause, even a magical one like a curse/hex, takes away from the horror of it. A cause takes away the horrible mystery of its origin in those suffering it. After all, if you know what causes it, you can avoid whatever it is which causes it and thus protect yourself. The one exception being the case in which knowledge of its cause is itself what causes it.

Rerailing... Amnesia: The Dark Descent is currently 70% downloaded. I'm just terrified my laptop won't have enough power to run it.  :-\

And if it does run, I'm the sort of person who gets creeped out very easily. This will be Fun.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:05:18 pm by alway »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2010, 10:04:04 pm »

Well, of course it's true that having any sort of power takes a lot of the punch out of Lovecraftian stuff.  But what took it from 'creepy' to 'nightmare fuel' for me was the part where you never knew if it was starting, so every single rainstorm for the rest of your life made you fear for your sanity.  ...Feeling of total powerlessness very important, and not knowing a damn thing about what or why until the triumphant climax of the story (if there is one) keeps it good.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 1419