Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758777 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #5580 on: October 24, 2013, 06:25:19 am »

Gotta find another way to work :<

Tourettes is acting up and making driving way too difficult and dangerous.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: October 24, 2013, 07:36:52 am »

A spider crawled up my sleeve.

I cannot find it.
You must set yourself on fire. Sacrifice yourself for the good of mankind*.

*For the love of god don't do this.
Instead, have some LSD. It appears to be in plentiful supply.
Only do this if you want a spider orgy in your shirt.

Well... I have always wondered.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: October 24, 2013, 08:06:20 am »

Reading the Renegade Cause HP fanfic. WHY THE FUCK IS THIS LISTED AS TRAGEDY/CRIME? It's a fucked up horror story! Freaking hell this is creeping me out.
An alarming number of people don't understand the difference between a tragic story and a sad story. Tragic stories normally END with horrible/sad situations (see: Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Othello).
Hoo boy. That, and Romeo and Juliet was basically a comedy up until the letter didn't arrive on time. So for three quarters of the play or so. Hell, Romeo's famous "romantic" soliloquy in the balcony scene was a brilliant skewering of the Petrarchan conceit. If we're going to be anal about it, it wasn't even a tragedy in the purest sense; Romeo and Juliet didn't die because one or both of them had a fatal character flaw that led to their fall, they died because they were stupid kids (not that they in particular were unintelligent, just that children that age tend to be... less than wise and careful in their decisionmaking--it's why we don't let them drink) and just about every adult authority figure in their lives was an utter incompetent.

Star-crossed lovers? A tragic tale? They were what, 13 and 16 in the original story? More like a lesson on why kids getting married for TWOO WUV might not be such a good idea.
This. I never got why everyone thought it was a true love story when the way we're introduced to Romeo is him mourning the other girl leaving him, who he'd clearly fallen deep in love with after a day of knowing her. That ain't love, that's infatuation.
I had an English teacher ask the class what they would do to save Romeo and Juliet and I said to hire Romeo a prostitute. Apparently backing that kind of assertion up with logical evidence makes things worse too.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: October 24, 2013, 11:05:45 am »

Reading the Renegade Cause HP fanfic. WHY THE FUCK IS THIS LISTED AS TRAGEDY/CRIME? It's a fucked up horror story! Freaking hell this is creeping me out.
An alarming number of people don't understand the difference between a tragic story and a sad story. Tragic stories normally END with horrible/sad situations (see: Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Othello).
Hoo boy. That, and Romeo and Juliet was basically a comedy up until the letter didn't arrive on time. So for three quarters of the play or so. Hell, Romeo's famous "romantic" soliloquy in the balcony scene was a brilliant skewering of the Petrarchan conceit. If we're going to be anal about it, it wasn't even a tragedy in the purest sense; Romeo and Juliet didn't die because one or both of them had a fatal character flaw that led to their fall, they died because they were stupid kids (not that they in particular were unintelligent, just that children that age tend to be... less than wise and careful in their decisionmaking--it's why we don't let them drink) and just about every adult authority figure in their lives was an utter incompetent.

Star-crossed lovers? A tragic tale? They were what, 13 and 16 in the original story? More like a lesson on why kids getting married for TWOO WUV might not be such a good idea.
This. I never got why everyone thought it was a true love story when the way we're introduced to Romeo is him mourning the other girl leaving him, who he'd clearly fallen deep in love with after a day of knowing her. That ain't love, that's infatuation.
I had an English teacher ask the class what they would do to save Romeo and Juliet and I said to hire Romeo a prostitute. Apparently backing that kind of assertion up with logical evidence makes things worse too.
Only if your teacher isn't fun. I argued over the existence of gay subtext in every single book we read last year, just for the hell of it. I mean, some of the scenes in All Quiet on the Western Front are pretty suggestive. And Snowflower and the Secret Fan is almost exactly a lesbian love story, from what I've read of it.
Somehow, I didn't get in trouble for explicitly saying Cat and Paul were doing it.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: October 24, 2013, 01:17:49 pm »

Indeed, I never understood how people thought Romeo and Juliet was a love story and not a tragic comedy. I believe I saw a macromeme somewhere to that effect:

Person 1f: I'm his Juliet!
Person 1m: I'm her Romeo!
Person 2: Good. Now kill yourselves.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: October 24, 2013, 01:44:41 pm »

In that R&J movie with Leonardo de Caprio I kinda expected Juliet to stab herself in the heart with a pistol as a means of dying.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: October 24, 2013, 02:01:53 pm »

"Romeo and Juliet: An infatuation between a 16-year-old and a 13-year-old that lasted 3 days and resulted in the deaths of 6 people."

Can't remember where I heard that, but it's accurate. The best version of this I ever saw was a modernized student theater production. During the longer balcony scene monologues, the one not talking would be checking their smartphone rather than listening.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: October 24, 2013, 02:31:53 pm »

Hey, next time try using period-appropriate terminology and it may actually work.

*cough*'Get thee to a nunnery'*cough*

Seriously, Shakespeare is full of cool subtext which is now lost on modern audiences because of the language changing and euphemisms changing with it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: October 24, 2013, 04:36:33 pm »

Case in point: The Taming of the Shrew. Damned near everyone completely misinterprets that, flying off the handle about how it's sexist and how the abuse is played as humor, &c. &c. The key point to remember is that, in the language of the time, the word "shrew" was gender-neutral. Anyone familiar with the play ought to know exactly what that implies, and why the play is a comedy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: October 24, 2013, 04:45:19 pm »

Case in point: The Taming of the Shrew. Damned near everyone completely misinterprets that, flying off the handle about how it's sexist and how the abuse is played as humor, &c. &c. The key point to remember is that, in the language of the time, the word "shrew" was gender-neutral. Anyone familiar with the play ought to know exactly what that implies, and why the play is a comedy.

Also:
'Shall I lie in your lap' ad 'country matters';
'Get thee to a nunnery';
virtually any time 'nothing' is used;
same for 'wit' or 'will' except for the other gender;
the 'Foot and Gown' dialogue in Henry V;

and many, many others were, at the time, extremely dirty.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: October 25, 2013, 12:19:02 pm »

There's a big wasp nest hanging from a tree in my yard. It's about a foot wide in diameter at it's widest spot, and it's dangling fairly loosely from the branch it's on.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: October 25, 2013, 12:28:42 pm »

*FearfulJesuit summons SalmonGod's flamethrower of death.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: October 25, 2013, 03:09:06 pm »

There's a big wasp nest hanging from a tree in my yard. It's about a foot wide in diameter at it's widest spot, and it's dangling fairly loosely from the branch it's on.
You should measure it, just to be sure.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: October 25, 2013, 09:58:41 pm »

Throw a rock at it. If they're still alive in there, wait until nightfall, then throw boiling water on it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: October 25, 2013, 10:01:51 pm »

Shoot it with a shotgun.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 1419