Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758469 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #6225 on: December 24, 2013, 10:14:17 am »

Well, the problem with these important champagnes is that the stability is often considered more important than the quality itself. Hence, in order to ensure that quality is constant, the produced champagne tends to be pretty bland.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: December 26, 2013, 09:00:16 am »

The last part of my dream today involved me wiggling my teeth and pulling them out one-by-one, under the dream reasoning that the dentist can just put them back in later. The first thing I did upon waking was check and feel all my teeth with my tongue before heading straight to the bathroom to brush them.

Also, hello terrified thread.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6227 on: December 26, 2013, 10:23:40 am »

The last part of my dream today involved me wiggling my teeth and pulling them out one-by-one, under the dream reasoning that the dentist can just put them back in later. The first thing I did upon waking was check and feel all my teeth with my tongue before heading straight to the bathroom to brush them.
Dreams where your teeth are removed or fall out are surprisingly common. It's a bit strange.

Perhaps the reason fluorine is put in American drinking water is so dentists can start implanting thoughts aimed at improving dental hygiene? Illuminati: Making the world a brighter place one smile at a time.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: December 26, 2013, 02:14:36 pm »

I occasionally have a dream where my teeth are falling out without pain and they're like hard peanuts rolling around in there and I have to spit them out.

Totally disturbing.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: December 26, 2013, 02:46:47 pm »

Yeah, I didn't experience any pain in the dream (I'm not quite sure if such a thing is actually possible). I just felt that they were loose and decided to yank them out (I think I got to only three or four before I woke up).

I think I may have had a dream in the past where I had my teeth fall out and roll around in my mouth like that, though. I think the fear of such a thing came from the time I had a filling come loose while I was eating candy (or maybe I misremembered the incident because in times after that when eating chewy candy I often had the fear it would pull one of my fillings out).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: December 26, 2013, 02:55:32 pm »

Had a nightmare where I got one of those computer viruses that let the hacker remotely take control of your mouse and everything. And then they opened up a text window and started taunting me while throwing all my files into random folders and just making a big mess >_<
It's FEF, not FEOF

Shadowscynthe

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:VULPINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: December 27, 2013, 06:35:55 pm »

hearing about how the youtube comment link bug was true  :o i was about to click on a link when I heard it and probably about have crapped my pants/gone deaf/or suffer epilepsy.
I WILL BITE YOUR HEAD OFF!!!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: December 27, 2013, 06:41:05 pm »

OK but are you already epileptic? A video won't cause you to become epileptic, you know.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: December 29, 2013, 07:17:32 pm »

I wonder why flashing lights trigger seizures in some people. Perhaps way back in our evolutionary past there was some sort of predator that used bioluminescence to disorient prey animals, including our distant ancestors.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: December 29, 2013, 07:27:55 pm »

I wonder why flashing lights trigger seizures in some people. Perhaps way back in our evolutionary past there was some sort of predator that used bioluminescence to disorient prey animals, including our distant ancestors.

That doesn't really make sense: why would we evolve to become defenseless when flashed at? There's no benefit to it and quite a bit of risk. No, it's just a flaw when too much neurotransmitter molecules are released and things go FUBAR.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: December 29, 2013, 07:39:22 pm »

That doesn't really make sense: why would we evolve to become defenseless when flashed at? There's no benefit to it and quite a bit of risk. No, it's just a flaw when too much neurotransmitter molecules are released and things go FUBAR.
Not what I meant. I mean the whole "get messed up by flashing lights" might just be an evolutionary throwback to when we were as a species affected by that sort of thing. After all, many animal species today react weirdly to lights or use lights to get food, and there's a breed of goat that becomes partially paralyzed when scared. Throw the two together, and...

But apparently my musings were wrong anyway. So oh well.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: December 29, 2013, 07:53:47 pm »

Not what I meant. I mean the whole "get messed up by flashing lights" might just be an evolutionary throwback to when we were as a species affected by that sort of thing. After all, many animal species today react weirdly to lights or use lights to get food, and there's a breed of goat that becomes partially paralyzed when scared. Throw the two together, and...

But apparently my musings were wrong anyway. So oh well.
But it was never a useful thing, it's just a problem that can't really be fixed. That's like saying that bleeding to death is an evolutionary throwback to when humans used to get bitten a lot.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: December 30, 2013, 02:58:13 am »

Well, I believe it causes too much... is it GABA? to be released, which is a neurotransmitter.

Too much neurotransmitter, suddenly you're having action potentials all over the place, which leads to problems. Namely, seizures.

IIRC GABA was one of those that lowered postsynaptic potentials. Also, there might be some deal with calcium ion signalling between glial cells.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: December 30, 2013, 10:07:39 am »

Ah, right. I must be mixing up the stuff used to treat it with the neurotransmitter.

Also, I thought calcium ions were only used at neuromuscular junctions? (which is why hydroflouric acid is so dangerous.)

It's not very well-known or described, but then again neither is epilepsy, but it seems glial cells in brain use calcium ion 'waves' to communicate throughout the brain and not just support the neurons but coordinate them. I'd link you the actual paper, but I first heard of it on a lecture and didn't write down the title, and it's been three months ago, so I kinda forgot :3
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: December 30, 2013, 10:35:21 am »

Regardless of what other people are saying about it being mere coincidence, I'm 100% certain that Angler Fishes used to be land dwelling creatures, a hideous race of fish people that used their bioluminescence to bring humanity to it's knees. It was the Neanderthals that sacrificed themselves in the long forgotten Fish V Cave Man war that drove them down into the depths of the oceans.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 1419