Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1782954 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #11565 on: January 15, 2015, 09:05:22 pm »

I think Cartoon Network made Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry reboots, except the former actually made some degree of sense and took out most of the slapstick and the latter had much less pronounced violence.

The old stuff was cool though. Even the outdated ones--I specifically remember the Looney Tunes where Daffy Duck tries to avoid the draft and a couple wartime generic Merrie Melodies lampshading resource conservation--were pretty funny if you got the context.

There was also 1943's Super-Rabbit (the one where Bugs Bunny somehow makes carrots that give him superpowers), which ended when the fight between Bugs and his nemesis-of-the-day was interrupted by  Bugs declaring "This is a job for a real Superman", donning a Marine uniform, and marching along a road labled "To Tokyo" while singing the Marine Hymn. The Marines were so pleased with the short that they officially made Bugs Bunny a private (to the extent of minting dog tags for the character), and "promoted" him throughout the war.
That is terrible.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11566 on: January 16, 2015, 12:02:04 am »

I was over slapstick comedy by the time I was like 7 or 8, and that's like 90% of what Loony Toons style cartoons were.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11567 on: January 16, 2015, 01:59:09 am »

From a similar thread:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It is terrifying. Probably embellished to high hell, but at least it's done well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hAMYnBEtg4
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11568 on: January 16, 2015, 02:04:34 am »

I think Cartoon Network made Looney Tunes and Tom & Jerry reboots, except the former actually made some degree of sense and took out most of the slapstick and the latter had much less pronounced violence.

Do you mean the recent Looney Tunes reboot where they retooled it basically as a sitcom? I think that show's pretty good.

Tom & Jerry on the other hand have never been funny, in any of their iterations.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #11569 on: January 16, 2015, 02:23:16 am »

Entertaining thread on reddit, where somebody put out a call for police officers to share stories about on-duty calls to deal with things of a supernatural nature.

Lots of neat stories.  Many relate truly good police work.

Nothing that's made me terrified, but this seemed like the best place to share it.

Why did I click that link
I dunno why its scary, the stories are amazing. Many, many good ones. :P
Midnight, reading them. Now, when it's night your brain starts going 'OH GOD THIS IS TERRIFYING!' and tiredness exacerbates it.

EDIT: I'm beginning to think you're not human, Tir. You never seem to get upset, you're always positive and now you have no ability to get scared.

*squints*
I've got my eye on you...
OH!
I think its our culture here--especially in my locality, the Cordillera mountains :P
See, (as far as I know anyway), Filipinos have a passion with thought--including the ideas of myth and lore, as well as the supernatural and inquisitiveness, or so has been our culture in the past (many) years anyway. From childhood to adulthood, we pass down stories of our relatives, families, community and other stuff by word--from elder to youth, in the fashion of all storytellers around the world: With flair.
The thing is, as a basic referential note, we also have stories about the ancient times regarding 'previously not-that-explainable things' (which also correlate with our culture). Like the idea of Baptism carried over by the Spanish evolving into what is now renown as the tiyanak, as well as the many...many ghost stories revolving around it.

It's mostly a past-time for the youth, or as I recall my high school and earlier days, that we used to share ghost stories involving the supernatural, and also play around with such concepts (though of course giving respect if in the case it was actually in a way real). :P

...But yeah. Sorry for the link, though. The page lacks the graphical descriptions of the mythology so it may be a bit...hard to know the background there. :P

And I do get scared--just like any other person. Like the concept of not helping many many many more people than I currently can (ie not achieving life goal). That scares me :o

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11570 on: January 16, 2015, 02:59:40 am »

I pinched a nerve trying to crack my neck and now, because of my anxiety issues, I worry that the pain from that could mask the symptooms of any more serious probllem that might arise before I can get the nerve thing dealt with. I also worry about the pain in my upper back might screw up my breathing while i sleep
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11571 on: January 16, 2015, 11:51:18 am »

From a similar thread:

It is terrifying. Probably embellished to high hell, but at least it's done well.

Ah, there it is. I don't care so much that it's invented, but now it just seems lazy.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11572 on: January 16, 2015, 12:13:28 pm »

From a similar thread:

Ah, there it is. I don't care so much that it's invented, but now it just seems lazy.

Well to be fair the linked clip only relates to the end of the story.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11573 on: January 16, 2015, 03:51:32 pm »

Exams start on Monday. Starting with a math exam.

Math exam. At 8:45.

On monday.

i hate my fucking life
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #11574 on: January 16, 2015, 03:56:03 pm »

That's the best time. Study on weekend, ace test on Monday, start week feeling like a boss.

True pain is writing the two worst cram subjects in the syllabus in two days.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11575 on: January 16, 2015, 05:01:19 pm »

Haha, all you Northern Hemispherians having exams at the start of the year.

Tom & Jerry on the other hand have never been funny, in any of their iterations.
BLASPHEMYYYYYYY
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11576 on: January 16, 2015, 05:40:54 pm »

Heh. Heh heh. HEHEHEHEHEHEH.

We get MLKJ day off, non-Ameriscrubs. >:D
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11577 on: January 16, 2015, 09:30:51 pm »

Least we aren't all fat.

And using Linux, from what I know of Taw. Can't even run Steam. Nerd.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11578 on: January 16, 2015, 09:37:44 pm »

The old stuff was cool though. Even the outdated ones--I specifically remember the Looney Tunes where Daffy Duck tries to avoid the draft and a couple wartime generic Merrie Melodies lampshading resource conservation--were pretty funny if you got the context.
I've seen this said a lot, and I think it's coming from people who didn't actually watch old Loony Tunes. It was and still is primarily driven by the characters rather than random violence; there are just as many old episodes composed mostly of them being funny while standing around and talking as there are new. All that's really changed is the setting, which basically had an update to account for societal differences. The slapstick was used sparingly because it's the sort of thing that quickly becomes boring when overdone, and they knew that just as well back then as they do now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11579 on: January 16, 2015, 09:42:07 pm »

Least we aren't all fat.

And using Linux, from what I know of Taw. Can't even run Steam. Nerd.
* Tawarochir slaps KosS's poutine-greased face

WE AREN'T ALL FAT

I've seen this said a lot, and I think it's coming from people who didn't actually watch old Loony Tunes. It was and still is primarily driven by the characters rather than random violence; there are just as many old episodes composed mostly of them being funny while standing around and talking as there are new. All that's really changed is the setting, which basically had an update to account for societal differences. The slapstick was used sparingly because it's the sort of thing that quickly becomes boring when overdone, and they knew that just as well back then as they do now.
Meh. Guess I either just saw a lot of overly slapstick-y stuff or that's what I remember the most clearly.
Pages: 1 ... 770 771 [772] 773 774 ... 1419