Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758890 times)

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #12420 on: April 02, 2015, 08:49:06 am »

Meh. If you think it is only thing that rots USA from inside out, you are in ugly surprise. And indeed - that should make everyone, including myself, absolutely terrified.

Food for thought.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12421 on: April 02, 2015, 12:47:26 pm »

I think regardless of what people say "rots the USA from the inside out", we're still a far cry from the majority of things showing up on that page. Far enough off, in fact, that I'd be hard pressed to say that your comparison is valid due to the sheer number of discrepancies between the current US and the aging roman empire.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12422 on: April 02, 2015, 02:32:19 pm »

Got the first utilities bill for my new place, earlier.
Add to that a fair chunk of rent from both March and April, and I have to pay $800 by the end of the month.
Hopefully after this first hurdle we can be more organized and not end up paying big chunks like this.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12423 on: April 02, 2015, 02:42:53 pm »

Oh, jesus, no, the Roman empire had totally different problems. It's a good analogy to the United States in the same way that Risk is a good analogy for international politics. I mean there's some superficial resemblances, like the fact that there was a decline from unambiguous superpower in the one analogy, and the giant purple dildobat in the other, but the details and motivations and reasons are all wrong.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12427 on: April 02, 2015, 03:45:05 pm »

One cannot do politics without wielding genitalia.
One cannot talk politics without talking genitalia.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12428 on: April 02, 2015, 04:02:04 pm »

It's American foreign policy
Well, duh. I've been on the receiving end of the giant purple dildo a fair few times. I was mostly just confused at the lack of sound.

E: This is going to get OOCQ'd, isn't it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:18:13 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12429 on: April 02, 2015, 04:19:46 pm »

It's American foreign policy
Well, duh. I've been on the receiving end of the giant purple dildo a fair few times. I was mostly just confused at the lack of sound.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12431 on: April 02, 2015, 07:15:47 pm »

This has been a big scary week.  Things are happening that I never saw for myself.  I never saw myself climbing the ladder.  I never wanted to see myself as someone who had such aspirations.  I identify with workers, not managers.  I especially never saw it happening in a business environment like this.  But I think it's about to happen anyway.  I do and don't want this.  I hate the business world.  I hate the people that operate it.  But I'm suddenly finding my personality, talents, and work ethic recognized and respected by those people, and now I'm being invited closer to them.  Even by someone who I've spent most of my time in this office avoiding, because every interaction with her felt like being stalked like a predator.  I'm now realizing that's completely reversed.  A week ago, I was dead set on escaping this place as soon as I could.  Now I'm thinking about how I'm going to make it better.  All in the midst of swallowing down emotional turmoil, because the two people I'd grown closest to at work, who supported me so much towards growing into the position I'm in now, have left within the span of two weeks.  One had her last day today and I actually teared up over it, because of how overwhelming everything has been, knowing that the last person who went out of her way to teach me and support me when I needed it is gone.

Life is fucking bizarre and terrifying and oh my god this is going to suck so bad.  But... I have to grow up and take an opportunity to build a better future for myself and my family someday.  I may never see a better opportunity than this, and as I close in on 32, it's sunk in pretty deeply that the opportunities I really want may never come.

In other words, I'm being practically handed a team lead position (at a small but rapidly growing company doing really big business, so it's significant... I'd be shouldering primary responsibility for the majority of air freight imports for a major corporation).  My boss has been making references to "my future at BDP" almost every time I talk to her.  She announced the position being opened today, just as the last person who took on the position stepped down, because it basically broke her within a span of 4 months.  She's the second person I've seen torn apart by this position in the less than 2 years I've been here.  And as my boss was leaving today, she... indirectly said to me "I'm opening this position back up so you can take it."  But... I'm being told by the person one step down from her, who I respect, and realizing to a large extent myself, that the way I've evolved in my time here I have practically turned into the de facto team lead anyway.  Everyone looks to me for guidance, and I spend most of every day providing it.  And it's been that way for a while.  And higher ups look to me for my analysis of both the workload and the people of the team.  I can't deny that it makes sense... and maybe I am suited for succeeding at this where others have failed.  And maybe this is a first step to making something of myself.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12432 on: April 02, 2015, 09:16:55 pm »

That's the plan.  I know pretty well what not to do.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12433 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:49 pm »

That's the plan.  I know pretty well what not to do.
I have every reason to believe this is the case. Go forth and make it a better place.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12434 on: April 03, 2015, 06:06:19 am »

I'd be shouldering primary responsibility for the majority of air freight imports for a major corporation
Avoid anything from Malaysia.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 827 828 [829] 830 831 ... 1419