Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1752594 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #12450 on: April 05, 2015, 06:21:36 am »

Is there any part of American society that isn't designed to make profit by robbing poorer people?

Filesharing. It's the one ray of light in an otherwise bleak world. The only part of society not based on robbing people.
Technically it's robbing the people who developed the files. vov
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12451 on: April 05, 2015, 06:27:41 am »

Technically it's robbing the people who developed the files. vov
1Take property unlawfully from (a person or place) by force or threat of force:
File sharing is clearly not the thing I thought it was.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12452 on: April 05, 2015, 11:11:54 am »

Filesharing is only robbery (in a loose sense) if it gives the file to someone who would otherwise purchase it. But when you factor in that there are least four other reasons besides "getting the game *instead* of purchasing it" for someone to pirate, namely a) testing the game in an era where demos are few and far between, b) getting around DRM and such for a game that one has already purchased, c) done by someone who wouldn't or couldn't spend the money to purchase it if the pirate option wasn't available, and d) being able to play the game while one saves up enough money to purchase it legitimately, and when you factor in that it doesn't actually *take* anything, just buds a copy off, and that there is no actual violence involved, you can't really even tell if your work is being pirated unless you actively look for it... Well, it's kind of hard to make a case for robbery backed up by facts, when actual numbers of who, why, and how often people pirate are few and far between.

The only actual number I've ever seen for piracy have been published/funded by like, Hollywood or the games industry, who have a vested interest in making it seem like it's killing the industry. Bias.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12453 on: April 05, 2015, 05:04:45 pm »

No, it's never robbery, because to be robbery you would have to take away something that somebody else already had. Interfering wih commerce is NOT theft. If I lied and told people that a business was closed or gave people bad directions to it that would not be theft though I daresay it would reduce their profits.

Hell, even if I got a gun, hung out near the entrence of a store and shot anyone who tried to go in I would have only wronged he people who got shot; the store would have no legitimate complaint against me (provided that it all took place putside of the store)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12454 on: April 05, 2015, 05:36:08 pm »

Maybe they wouldn't be able to sue you, but they'd sure as hell have a legitimate reason to complain...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12455 on: April 05, 2015, 05:57:26 pm »

Robbery requires the use or threat of force. If filesharing involves that then I've been missing out on something big.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12456 on: April 05, 2015, 06:00:03 pm »

Put your hands up and put the data in the bag! I have a gun!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12457 on: April 05, 2015, 06:00:12 pm »

Oh don't get started on the robbery vs. burglary vs. theft vs banditry debate. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12458 on: April 05, 2015, 06:03:37 pm »

Robbery requires the use or threat of force. If filesharing involves that then I've been missing out on something big.
But have you considered the angle of
And what impact that plays into it?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12459 on: April 05, 2015, 06:09:42 pm »

But have you considered the angle of
And what impact that plays into it?
Well if we cancel out the humping coefficient and consider the effect of the regnlaus function...
Good God. The implications!

Stay here I'm writing to the Nobel Committee.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12460 on: April 05, 2015, 06:11:19 pm »

Filesharing is only robbery (in a loose sense) if it gives the file to someone who would otherwise purchase it. But when you factor in that there are least four other reasons besides "getting the game *instead* of purchasing it" for someone to pirate, namely a) testing the game in an era where demos are few and far between, b) getting around DRM and such for a game that one has already purchased, c) done by someone who wouldn't or couldn't spend the money to purchase it if the pirate option wasn't available, and d) being able to play the game while one saves up enough money to purchase it legitimately, and when you factor in that it doesn't actually *take* anything, just buds a copy off, and that there is no actual violence involved, you can't really even tell if your work is being pirated unless you actively look for it... Well, it's kind of hard to make a case for robbery backed up by facts, when actual numbers of who, why, and how often people pirate are few and far between.

The only actual number I've ever seen for piracy have been published/funded by like, Hollywood or the games industry, who have a vested interest in making it seem like it's killing the industry. Bias.

You forgot about people who pirate in order to gain access to content that is not commercially available where they live.  Piratebay has pointed out that they've been contacted by people from North Korea, for example, who were really greatful for providing them a window to the outside world.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12461 on: April 05, 2015, 06:23:22 pm »

Oh don't get started on the robbery vs. burglary vs. theft vs banditry debate. :P

Personally I'm saying that it's not even theft, because you're not taking anything away from anyone.

Maybe potential profits are reduced, but potential profits are not something that you have or own. We aren't automatically entitled to every good thing that could ever possibly happen to us.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12462 on: April 05, 2015, 07:17:20 pm »

* Orange Wizard points to a certain clause in the TPPA that allows companies to sue nations if their potential profits are impacted.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12463 on: April 05, 2015, 07:21:32 pm »

Looking at the supreme court ruling of Dowling v. The United States it seems like no, it's not legally "theft". What it is, however is "copyright violation" (which can be referred to legally by the word "piracy" if you are using the copying for your own financial gain [which I believe would include downloading to save yourself the money of buying it]).

Note: I'm not saying that I agree with the laws or necessarily support them in this instance, but am just stating the legal side of things. Personally I think we should work on moving to a donations based system for the particular fields of most filetypes. Heck, we're talking about this on a site that is already powered by such a system! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12464 on: April 05, 2015, 08:35:10 pm »

* Orange Wizard points to a certain clause in the TPPA that allows companies to sue nations if their potential profits are impacted.

And that's why we'd all be better off if the stuffed suits who signed that thing were dead; their neglected corpses laying half-decayed in the street being spat upon and kicked by passers by
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:41:28 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 829 830 [831] 832 833 ... 1419