Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758343 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #12931 on: May 18, 2015, 07:53:09 pm »

There were reports many years ago of oranges that produce THC as well.

this is only scary to people who have panic attacks over psychotropic compounds, and who get their panties all tied up and wet over the idea that these compounds will cease being rational to regulate.  In short, moral panic type people.

More rationally, the dangers of this new yeast will simply be that people can become very intoxicated by an infection of this yeast. It will just prompt more effective antifungal treatments for yeast infections, and will lower the costs of manufacture of high quality morphine, which is a useful precursor to a large number of very useful pharmeutical compounds.

The dangers of misuse of this new organism are mitigated naturally by the consequences of that misuse-- people who misuse it will end up comatose, and possibly die.

Sane and rational people would not misuse this organism. I fail to see the reason to feel terrified by it.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12932 on: May 18, 2015, 08:13:07 pm »

Sane and rational people would not misuse this organism. I fail to see the reason to feel terrified by it.
Rationality is a thing people are fond of preaching but not practicing earnestly. Sanity is a thing humans are not, on a whole, fond of having all the time. Why temporary insanity is an excuse for crimes, especially those of passion.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12933 on: May 18, 2015, 08:18:05 pm »

I consider myself a sane and rational person. I do not have any plans to misuse this organism. I can think of no legitimate reason TO misuse this organism. Misusing the organism would have similar effects to misusing opium poppies-- Those that doe so, incur their own punishment through misuse.

For those that are honestly exposed to the organism and end up poisoned, I have some measure of concern, but for those that would seek to grow it explicitly to produce morphine, to produce high power morphine derivatives, like Heroin, the difficulties in keeping the organism contained and the resulting outbreaks of toxicity that it would cause would greatly curb its misuse, naturally.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #12934 on: May 18, 2015, 09:03:22 pm »

It might be a good thing, all things considered- if any fool with some sugar water can make homebrew morphine, that's morphine that cartels aren't trafficking. But I expect it'll increase the number of morphine addicts.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12935 on: May 19, 2015, 01:47:38 am »

Now imagine getting a yeast of that kind infecting your stomach, like with auto-brewery syndrome. Constant opium high!
Love, scriver~

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12936 on: May 19, 2015, 08:15:33 am »

So the folks running the local hobby store/hobby club are planning to have some sort of convention this summer. Since we're kinda chummy with them (since they're really cool people) they have invited our little group of artists to have some sort of exhibition there.

In exactly two months I'll be displaying my works physically.

I AM NOT READY FOR THIS TO HAPPEN JUST YET OH GOD I HAVE SO MUCH THINGS TO IMPROVE OH GOD OH GOD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12937 on: May 19, 2015, 08:54:36 am »

Now imagine getting a yeast of that kind infecting your stomach, like with auto-brewery syndrome. Constant opium high!
IIRC there was a guy like that who basically had a brewery in his gut. Spoiler alert: It sucked.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12938 on: May 19, 2015, 09:19:59 am »

Scientists create a breed of yeast that turns sugar to morphine.

How is this situation so much worse then say, poppy seeds?

There are plenty of legal plants around that produce drugs. I actually own a psychotropic cactus. Completely legal to own & grow. Illegal to process or consume. I have no idea how to produce mescaline from it & have no interest in finding out, it's just sitting in my backyard looking completely innocent.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:37:52 am by wobbly »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12939 on: May 19, 2015, 12:41:26 pm »

Scientists create a breed of yeast that turns sugar to morphine.

How is this situation so much worse then say, poppy seeds?

There are plenty of legal plants around that produce drugs. I actually own a psychotropic cactus. Completely legal to own & grow. Illegal to process or consume. I have no idea how to produce mescaline from it & have no interest in finding out, it's just sitting in my backyard looking completely innocent.
The main reason it's different is because it's basically "Make a bio-reactor, stick sugar in it, collect and purify, profit!" rather than "Wait for poppies to grow, harvest your large fields, process poppy latex into morphine and then into heroin, purify, then sell." The processing is harder with poppies, you need large fields (which can be discovered) to get a profitable amount, and you need the workforce to harvest it, or possibly machinery.

I don't think that it'll change much in regards to drug use. Maybe make heroin prices go down, but I don't think it'll cause a whole lot of problems that way. Heroin isn't exactly one of those "Man, I would totally do that if it were cheaper!" things.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12940 on: May 19, 2015, 01:53:36 pm »

I don't think that it'll change much in regards to drug use. Maybe make heroin prices go down, but I don't think it'll cause a whole lot of problems that way. Heroin isn't exactly one of those "Man, I would totally do that if it were cheaper!" things.
You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12941 on: May 19, 2015, 02:03:16 pm »

Meanwhile, the war on drugs has done odd things like severely limit production of hemp (for oil, rope, fabric, etc.) and poppies(oil) and, in some cases, increase the crime rate by a not insignificant percentage...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12942 on: May 19, 2015, 02:13:54 pm »

There's low-THC hemp though which is even subsidised by the EU, and I can buy poppy seeds at the supermarket...
The Bay12 postcard club

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12943 on: May 19, 2015, 02:18:36 pm »

Meanwhile, the war on drugs has done odd things like severely limit production of hemp (for oil, rope, fabric, etc.) and poppies(oil) and, in some cases, increase the crime rate by a not insignificant percentage...

Then it's successfully done it's job of aggrandizing the cotton and private prison industries.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12944 on: May 19, 2015, 02:42:42 pm »

You'd think so, but you'd be wrong.
We decadence of the Romans now
Pages: 1 ... 861 862 [863] 864 865 ... 1419