Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1832508 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #14865 on: November 20, 2015, 07:18:10 pm »

Like babies! See, that's why the Chinese were right all along. Child chow mein, anyone?
Child mein, you could say.
*snrk*

I love you.
oi m90 back off

In more terrifying news I heard a kid argue, completely seriously and without a trace of irony, that we should kill everyone in Syria (including non-combatants) because "that's how you win a war quickly and efficiently."
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14866 on: November 20, 2015, 07:36:52 pm »

Well, they're not exactly wrong.
The backlash resulting from such a course of action would render it incredibly impractical, though- unless you're okay with nuking the rebellious populous of your own country in the same fashion shortly afterwards. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14867 on: November 20, 2015, 07:39:56 pm »

They are technically correct, the best kind of correct.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14868 on: November 20, 2015, 07:40:33 pm »

In more terrifying news I heard a kid argue, completely seriously and without a trace of irony, that we should kill everyone in Syria (including non-combatants) because "that's how you win a war quickly and efficiently."
Worked for Genghis Khan so that kid's not wrong
For that matter at age 12 Genghis Khan had fled his own tribe to avoid being murdered, by age 16 he was uniting the Mongol tribes and by his 40s was poised to conquer the entire world
You must murder this child to make sure he does not take over a tribe
Should he take over a tribe anyways abandon all hope and do not murder his envoys

Well, they're not exactly wrong.
The backlash resulting from such a course of action would render it incredibly impractical, though- unless you're okay with nuking the rebellious populous of your own country in the same fashion shortly afterwards. :P
Mountains of skulls don't rebel
-Genghis Khan

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14869 on: November 20, 2015, 07:43:59 pm »

The real 'terrifying' thing here is probably that humankind has access to the kind of weapons that would make "kill the entire enemy country" an actual possibility, in ruthless enough hands.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14870 on: November 20, 2015, 07:45:03 pm »

The real 'terrifying' thing here is probably that humankind has access to the kind of weapons that would make "kill the entire enemy country" an actual possibility, in ruthless enough hands.
That technology is called salt, bow and arrow

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #14871 on: November 20, 2015, 07:45:28 pm »

Apparently there are health concerns related to eating human blood/brains, though, I believe?
From what I vaguely remember reading in the past you just have to make sure it's cooked well.
Not good enough to stop the prions which cause those diseases I listed. According to the Wiki, the process for sterilizing instruments that might have been contaminated with prions involves copious amounts of bleach and lye.
It's because prion diseases are even less alive than viruses are. Where a virus still has a basic wall to hold it together, a prion is basically just a uniquely folded protein that your brain essentially "trips" on, in the process breaking the protein apart into two pieces (each of which then pull parts from their surrounding to become two complete copies of the original). Since it's essentially just a free floating protein in your system without even anything to hold it together, it's even less destroyable than most viruses are, which are basically just a bit of dna surrounded by a protein wall. Less important parts to target and all that jazz.
Err, whaddyamean, less destroyable? Viruses aren't that hard to destroy, per se - the problem is, you can only get so many of the free-floating ones, whereas the real problem demands the engagement of Immune System KGB and if they fail, you suddenly get a LOT of them to deal with.

Prions, meanwhile, aren't tough because they are proteins - most proteins can be and are easy pickings - heat 'em up, digest 'em with proteases, stick 'em in a stew... The problem is prions are not 'most proteins', they are abnormally resistant to the usual tools of the trade, similarly to the issue with amyloids causing Alzheimers and whatnot but with added fun factor of converting your own proteins. Damn things are essentially protein equivalent of zombies, come to think of it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14872 on: November 20, 2015, 07:50:23 pm »

You need assloads of dudes/dudettes to wield said bows and arrows, though. Plus there's nothing quick or efficient about it, and at least some of the enemy people are likely to escape. Unless you have a bow large enough to fire arrows the size of skyscrapers, tipped with a nuclear payload...
Booze is Life for Yoink

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14873 on: November 20, 2015, 07:52:10 pm »

Minor scare, but still got me stressed. I hear a noise and turn my head to see what I think is a huge cricket in the ground near me. I absolutely detest insects, so it gave me quite the scare. Thing eventually got into the bathroom, where I closed the door behind it (too big to crawl under it). I'll have to go there eventually, but I am less than enthusiastic about it.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14874 on: November 20, 2015, 07:53:25 pm »

I assume you're sigging Cinder's baby-eating pun, and not my confession of love.
Well you know what they say about assuming.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14875 on: November 20, 2015, 10:28:49 pm »

You need assloads of dudes/dudettes to wield said bows and arrows, though. Plus there's nothing quick or efficient about it, and at least some of the enemy people are likely to escape. Unless you have a bow large enough to fire arrows the size of skyscrapers, tipped with a nuclear payload...
1. You don't need arseloads of dudes, you only need one army
2. They were very quick and very efficient
3. Cannot escape when encircled and besieged, nor can you outrun Mongolian steeds
More to the point, where would you run to when there is no food and no water everywhere - only Mongolians?
Look at the Maoris, they successfully genocided an island full of people not even with bows and arrows but even less, and if we're going to use modern weapons then frankly we've always had the logistical capability to make cities nonexistent since WWI Babylon

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14876 on: November 20, 2015, 11:26:05 pm »

To be fair, the Chatham Islands are, like, nipple-sized, at best.

And where do you plan to get enough horses for an army?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #14877 on: November 20, 2015, 11:40:15 pm »

IIRC from Guns, Germs and Steel, didn't the Maori have rifles they bought from the British?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14878 on: November 20, 2015, 11:58:32 pm »

Not on the Chathams. Those are like a thousand kilometres away.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: November 21, 2015, 01:00:38 am »

While we've had the logistical capacity for genocide since probably like Carthage, it's never really been quite so feasible to turn a large area into a crater to bedrock. I mean, if the effects of megaton-yield weapons are linear, something like the Tsar Bomb would heat a 150-mile area to several thousand degrees instantly. That's less "Kill everybody on the island" more "Burn the entire island chain into a crater on the seabed"
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 ... 990 991 [992] 993 994 ... 1420