Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1783575 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #15615 on: February 20, 2016, 05:06:08 am »

Tell me what color is what you see directly behind your head.
It's black, but with multicolored clouds of acid green and magenta, if that makes any sense to you.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #15616 on: February 20, 2016, 05:13:09 am »

Through the reflection at the edge of my glasses I can see a white wall. There is a white wall there.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #15617 on: February 20, 2016, 07:03:32 am »

I really don't understand all you guys that are so terrified of death. Like, I get that you might dislike the idea, but... I just don't understand the way it seems to make you guys absolutely flip out. The world faces much bigger problems right now than the fact that people keel over after sixty to a hundred years (and slowly increasing all the time). If you want to make a difference to the world, work on fixing things that make life hell for people right now, rather than on something that will inherently only be useful to people who have a good life.

But meh.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15618 on: February 20, 2016, 07:37:05 am »

I had no experience before my birth and that makes me sad. The thought of going back to that way permanently terrifies me.

What terrifies me more is that this is a weird thought.
Don't fear the blank a-conscious of death! It'd be much better than, say, somehow retaining consciousness through the infinite time afterward. There's a relevant Pratchett quote for that somewhere...

...ah, here. From Small Gods:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #15619 on: February 20, 2016, 08:01:55 am »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15620 on: February 20, 2016, 01:07:55 pm »

It's black, but with multicolored clouds of acid green and magenta, if that makes any sense to you.
To reference Pratchett some more, sounds like "octarine": the color of magic.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #15621 on: February 20, 2016, 01:25:26 pm »

I really don't understand all you guys that are so terrified of death. Like, I get that you might dislike the idea, but... I just don't understand the way it seems to make you guys absolutely flip out. The world faces much bigger problems right now than the fact that people keel over after sixty to a hundred years (and slowly increasing all the time). If you want to make a difference to the world, work on fixing things that make life hell for people right now, rather than on something that will inherently only be useful to people who have a good life.

But meh.
As a counterargument, what's the point of fixing everything *else* if no matter what you do otherwise, all your efforts will ensure they will die ten years later at best, when you could ensure it's a hundred more?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15622 on: February 20, 2016, 01:27:42 pm »

No such thing as death, only absence of life
The ending of a life is a type of absence, a different one

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15623 on: February 20, 2016, 01:39:51 pm »

Then do indulge me and say; what is absent from the dead, other than life?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15624 on: February 20, 2016, 01:47:19 pm »

What is absent from bacon, other than pig?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #15625 on: February 20, 2016, 01:49:58 pm »

But meh.
As a counterargument, what's the point of fixing everything *else* if no matter what you do otherwise, all your efforts will ensure they will die ten years later at best, when you could ensure it's a hundred more?

Because there's no point in building a railway from Moscow to Beijing if the track cuts out fifty metres from each station (and at random intervals thereafter). Sure, you could get to Moscow from Beijing and vice versa if your train successfully jumps all the cuts, but the majority are going to derail at the first hiccup. It's much more useful to be able to get from Moscow to St. Petersburg, and then work on being able to go to Beijing.

(I have no idea if the geography there makes much sense, but I think I might lose a lot of you guys if I started talking in terms of Cape Town and Harare and Nairobi).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15626 on: February 20, 2016, 02:32:44 pm »

In terms of potential good done and suffering averted, why is it better to work on maybe giving more people 70-80 years of good life rather than working on giving everyone 200-300 years of life and then working on improving quality later? Even if it takes a century to meaningfully raise global quality of life, that still results in more people living good lives for longer, both within a single generation and across all future generations.

This thing about wanting to live the best possible life now is something I've never really understood, for much the same reason as suicide. Certainly, it might be preferable to the current alternative, but life is inherently changeable. Ergo, continued life has the potential for future good where terminated life does not. The longer your lifespan, the greater the total potential good it can contain.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15627 on: February 20, 2016, 02:44:27 pm »

An immune system.

I guess that counts as life...

It's really not so much the death that worries me as the not living.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #15628 on: February 20, 2016, 02:51:20 pm »

In terms of potential good done and suffering averted, why is it better to work on maybe giving more people 70-80 years of good life rather than working on giving everyone 200-300 years of life and then working on improving quality later?

Because

continued life has the potential for future good where terminated life does not. The longer your lifespan, the greater the total potential good it can contain.

And I don't mean good life. I mean life. Life expectancy in my country is just over 60 years. In much of Africa it's less than that. People in Canada, the UK and the US can expect to live for two decades longer than most of those on average.

According to the UN, it's less than 50 years in a lot of African countries, and less than 60 in another lot. Meanwhile, their estimates still peg Canada, the UK and the US as ~80.

Expecting to develop an aging treatment that will increase those 40-60 years to 200-300 and somehow be affordable for everyone in those countries in any reasonable timeframe is honestly in my opinion significantly more optimistic than hoping for the Second Coming in my lifetime.

I usually detest saying things like this for obvious reasons, but I really think that a lot of first-worlders don't realise how good they have it. To you guys, natural causes is the Next Big Problem. To me, it's... a desirable outcome. It's better than dying of AIDS, TB, cancer, black lung, malnutrition, homicide, drug overdose... The point is, there are a hell of a lot of issues in the world. Immortality is going to do sod all for someone who'll never live long enough to appreciate it, and would never earn enough to buy it anyway.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15629 on: February 20, 2016, 03:03:35 pm »

In terms of potential good done and suffering averted, why is it better to work on maybe giving more people 70-80 years of good life rather than working on giving everyone 200-300 years of life and then working on improving quality later?
We could apply many more resources to curing aging if people not living in first world countries could expect to see their 80th birthday.
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 1419