Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758498 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #15645 on: February 20, 2016, 09:45:07 pm »

Attitude and behaviour is a huge part of what makes a person.
Indeed, I would argue they're just as important, if not more, than someone's innermost thoughts.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15646 on: February 21, 2016, 02:41:37 am »

-snip-
In terms of potential good done and suffering averted, why is it better to work on maybe giving more people 70-80 years of good life rather than working on giving everyone 200-300 years of life and then working on improving quality later?
We could apply many more resources to curing aging if people not living in first world countries could expect to see their 80th birthday.
Please explain where I implied that pursuing longer lifespans worldwide does not include and prioritize pursuing longer lifespans worldwide.

Ensuring that everyone lives to 70-80 != ensuring that everyone has 70-80 years of good life. The progress towards multi-century lifespans does not shift from "current circumstances" to "everyone lives 300 years", but rather occurs over a series of improvements, one of the first of which would be eliminating as many non-accident non-"natural causes" (i.e. cancer, circulatory system failure, &c.) sources of early death, which would predominantly favor the people who die of those, aka non-First-Worlders. As that apparently wasn't self-evident.
Are you saying here that things like cancer counts as a "natural cause" or not? I'm honestly not sure.

Natural things like cancer, heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, are the top killers in europe. Heart disease is the top killer in the USA. People don't just drop dead, generally, something kills them. In the first world's case, those diseases can be treated or held back longer, or something that would have otherwise killed them - an infected wound, a different disease, an accident prevented by better safety regulations - didn't instead.

In this instance when I say "natural causes" I'm specifically referring to old-age maladies, i.e. the things that tend to kill you if you don't die in an accident, at someone's hands, from a serious illness not related to physical age, &c. So yes, cancer, heart disease, &c. Obviously you could drop dead of some nasty infection at twenty and have it called "natural causes", or if you're cynical enough call murder death by natural causes as well.

But basically in this discussion the sort of thing that is normal and expected to be a killer for someone who has lived to the tail end of their expected lifespan.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #15647 on: February 21, 2016, 11:38:02 pm »

One thing that doesn't get brought up enough in discussions about immortality is people would have more incentive to care about the long term, broader repercussions of their behavior if they lived longer.  For example, many more rich old white men would have cause to take climate change seriously.  While I agree it doesn't feel right to prioritize good health and longer lives for a minority who can afford it, I do believe a change in priorities would follow that would benefit everyone.

Although, we probably should wait for the baby boomers to die out first :p
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15648 on: February 21, 2016, 11:39:39 pm »

I'm terrified that I can't help someone who desperately needs it...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15649 on: February 22, 2016, 12:55:41 pm »

But Salmon, our current old people didn't care about climate change when they were younger either.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #15650 on: February 22, 2016, 04:59:06 pm »

But Salmon, our current old people didn't care about climate change when they were younger either.
Hurry up and die so we can fix your fuckups
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #15651 on: February 22, 2016, 06:44:15 pm »

I'm disinclined to judge people too harshly for that. Self-interest, like all other aspects of life, isn't objectionable unless it meaningfully interferes with the ability of others to live their lives. Someone who is entirely oriented around personal survival? Okay, yeah, it's selfish, but I'm not going to condemn them for a natural response to a terrifying eventuality. If they cross that line and start harming others for the sake of their own survival, then it's an ethical issue. Someone who runs away from an armed gunman when there are other, more vulnerable people present isn't admirable, but they're not the same as someone who pushes those other people into the line of fire to help themselves survive.
Funnily enough, my personal ethics almost flip what you are saying on it's head. IMO the rules in descending order go:
1) Take steps to give yourself the best chance of survival.
2) Take steps to allow as many other people as you can to survive, possibly at the expense of others (but not yourself).
So if it comes down to just me or you, then I'm not sorry, but I'll be pushing you in front of the gun, and from my ethical point of view not only will I be justified, but you will be justified in fighting as hard as you can to push me in front of the gun. Under my system fighting for your life, even at the expense of others, is always ethically justified, but them fighting at your expense (potentially causing conflict) is also justified.

That said it's important to note that the most likely to lead to me surviving in the short term is not necessarily the thing that is more likely to lead to me surviving in the long term. Throwing you at the gunman might be an almost guaranteed plow to buy me a few more seconds, but working together with you to take the gunman down, while less likely to buy me those few more seconds, is much more likely to buy me the rest of my life. Aiding others works the same sort of way. Being nice to people doesn't really cost me any of my current lifespan (in the vast majority of cases) but could lead to vast potential increases in the future. (Unlikely to, but somebody has got to win he lottery eventually, and unlike the lottery this doesn't actually cost me anything other than stuff I'm already paying).

The way I think about it is like this; if everyone is selfishly guarding their own life, even at the expense of others, then they will be taking the maximum steps to protect themselves from potential threats by eliminating them. This has the side effect that for me, being selfish, it is in my best interest not to become a potential threat to other people unless absolutely necessary; i.e. if we band together to kill all of the murderers as potential threats, then it is in my absolute best interest not to be labeled as a potential threat. Balanced against the aspect of ensuring your own survival, this means that even totally selfish survival people will still work together unless there are no other options.

Strangely enough this can also lead to cases where from my point of view, ethically, both the villain and the hero of a story are "in the right". If the villain is trying to save millions by killing thousands, then they fall under rule number 2, which says that they should save as many people as possible. On the other hand, ethically, rule number 1 says that each person in those thousands should fight as hard against the villain as they possibly can to ensure that they don't die. It can make for some very interesting stories where, for me at least, who is the villain and who is the hero can almost flip-flop depending on whose point of view the reader is currently watching through.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15652 on: February 22, 2016, 07:52:26 pm »

Possibly somewhat related to the current multi-page tangent: I've discovered some sort of lump in my mouth, sort of on the cheek wall above my upper teeth on one side. I dunno what it is but it doesn't feel like a lost tooth and it's been there a while.

I need to get around to seeing a doctor, but I've left it so long and have so many health issues that may-or-may-not be serious that I'm not sure where I'd even start with describing them all. As if going to see a doctor wasn't daunting enough already. :-\

Maybe I'll just start with the most annoying, noticeable trifecta: borked toe, irritated scalp and mouth-lump.
Then once those are sorted (or I'm dying in a hospital bed or something knowing my luck) I'll go back to talk about digestive issues and a couple of wounds that took a suspiciously long time to heal. Should really see a psychologist sometime, too, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15653 on: February 22, 2016, 09:28:53 pm »

.. Write a list and give it to the doctor? That way if you think of something after starting the list and before talking to the doctor, you can put it on the list. Space your "What the fuck is wrong with me?" thinkin's over time.

Anyway my terrified is I lost my wallet in America.

plznostealidentity
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15654 on: February 22, 2016, 09:35:13 pm »

Cancel the cards and all.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15655 on: February 22, 2016, 09:47:17 pm »

yeah it's mainly my SIN number i'm worried about

since that's basically 9 digits that tells the canadian government who you are

and i had it in my wallet because i am smrt
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15656 on: February 22, 2016, 09:49:28 pm »

In that case, call along your itinerary.
Sigtext

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #15657 on: February 22, 2016, 09:50:58 pm »

yeah it's mainly my SIN number i'm worried about

since that's basically 9 digits that tells the canadian government who you are

and i had it in my wallet because i am smrt
COINCIDENCE?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15658 on: February 22, 2016, 09:59:10 pm »

Fairly decent chance I lost it getting off the bus, I called the border crossing (last place I had it for sure) and they didn't have it, looked in the various places I went to after I got off the bus (not that many) and it probably fell out of my butt when I was sitting/getting up from the chair :v

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15659 on: February 22, 2016, 10:09:16 pm »

Call the bus company.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1419