Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1227 1228 [1229] 1230 1231 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1787948 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #18420 on: March 18, 2018, 02:51:22 pm »

Personally, I'm terrified of dying and hope any of the possible ways to live forever pan out in my lifetime
Well, you could always try the "bathing in the blood of your enemies/victims/random schmucks your followers sacrifice to you" route. I don't think that method has ever really been adequately explored, to be honest.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18421 on: March 18, 2018, 03:26:29 pm »

I thought it was 'bathe in the blood of a thousand virgins', and it's never been properly researched because it's so damn hard to find 1000 virgins. Why do you think even heaven only has 72 of them?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18422 on: March 18, 2018, 03:29:17 pm »

Well, I suppose the idea of consciousness isn't the benefit to the person/thing that is actually experiencing the the consciousness, but rather to it's surroundings. So the idea of advanced AI consciousness is perhaps more beneficial in the sense that it allows any intelligence at all to resist the increasing entropy of the universe. Though, in the short term, the actual benefit is not just simpler space flight, but also shorter space flight, in that a voyage can conceivable head to planets that would be uninhabitable to humans, but OK for machines, allowing for a wider selection of 'habitable' planets, and therefore a better likelihood of finding one that is nearby and not requiring insane amounts of shielding or lightspeed technology, or crazy fuel tech, or whatever.

Though I feel I'm talking way out of my depth here.

The whole universe is basically made of information, so I'm ok with seeing my identity as the same.  My mind is software running on a piece of hardware that is my body.  But there's still no getting around a certain absolute notion of identity that can be lost.  Your current continuity of experience is a unique instance of you.  There's you as the set of information that comprises the software that is your mind, and there's you as the subjective experience sustained by the operation of that software.  If that continuity is broken in the process of backing up your mind like a save file to be copied, then that instance of you is gone, and the next is a copy.  The longer I dwell on this, the more comfortable I am with saying that it's still you.  Just not in an absolute sense.  I'd prefer to retain that absolute original identity as long as possible, but it will have to be given up one day.  At that point, I don't think there's anything wrong with loading up that save file on new hardware so that the program that is me can keep running.

You know, this is just my opinion, but using that kind of technology to preserve the consciousness of an individual seems like a waste of such highly advanced tech, and honestly perhaps harmful towards its practical uses. If the AI of the person is being used so they can continuously perform a task (like piloting a spacecraft) that a normal human can't be expected to do, that's great, but if it's simply being used to assuage a person's existential fear of dying, that seems to be an abuse of the tech towards a pointless end. Kinda reminds me of the end of the game Soma, if you've played that.

Spoiler: Soma Spoilers (click to show/hide)

I guess you could use it so that your living family can always stay in touch with you, decades and centuries after you die your descendants can talk to their predecessors who all upload their consciousness into the big family harddrive right before they die. But again, that's for the benefit of people of the people still living, wanting to extend your "life" via vicarious digital doppelganger seems like an over-appraisal of one's own life and the experience of living. Even for the life of your Digi-doppleganger, what value is his life if it's just a bunch of circuits firing off endlessly in a simulated dreamscape?

I guess you could do cool stuff though, like upload your consciousness into a computer at each stage of your life, so you can always load up the save file and then 'talk' to your 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, and so on yr old 'yous' and do an objective comparison of yourself as you get older, like a nostalgia machine.

Even if you can't get around the continuity paradox, a full mental "upload" would still have immense value to society, particularly if the design was less susceptible to memory editing than the human brain is. Let us ignore the obvious "imagine what science would have become if Newton, Einstein, and Hawking had been immortal", or "imagine hearing the Ninth Symphony conducted by Beethoven himself" ideas, and look at the small scale. There is a huge debate about race relations in the US - imagine if we could sit down and chat with ex-slaves and former slaveowners. Imagine being able to sit down across from a British peasant from the time of Elizabeth I, or a Russian serf that saw the transition from the Czar to the hammer and sickle.

In other words, imagine how much richer and more complex the world would be if the lives of those who came before us never became nothing more than words in a dusty history text or memoir. Imagine if the lives of common people never became lost entirely to the sands of time. Even if it wasn't the same person from a personal point of view, don't you think that would be worthwhile?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18423 on: March 18, 2018, 06:24:13 pm »

Imagine if we didn't become like tears in the rain!!!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18424 on: March 18, 2018, 06:32:16 pm »

Imagine if people were not content simply to idly encourage each other to imagine a world in which these things were practical.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18425 on: March 18, 2018, 07:40:52 pm »

In other words, imagine how much richer and more complex the world would be if the lives of those who came before us never became nothing more than words in a dusty history text or memoir. Imagine if the lives of common people never became lost entirely to the sands of time. Even if it wasn't the same person from a personal point of view, don't you think that would be worthwhile?
I'm imagining immortal Napoleon Bonaparte continually making more wars for world conquest everywhere he can download his l'autocrat program into computers ;D

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18426 on: March 18, 2018, 07:52:10 pm »

"Ugh, my system has that virus again. It's called "France." I'll just get rid of it and put up my Britwall, though."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #18427 on: March 18, 2018, 10:20:01 pm »

"Ugh, my system has that virus again. It's called "France." I'll just get rid of it and put up my Britwall, though."

Britdefender?

Malwarebrits?

Briton Security Scan?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #18428 on: March 19, 2018, 12:47:49 am »

it's so damn hard to find 1000 virgins.
No it isn't. Just look at [insert acceptable target here]. Huge bunch of virgins, they are.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18429 on: March 19, 2018, 07:58:51 am »

My mind is software running on a piece of hardware that is my body.

I don't think that is true. There's no software, we are only hardware. In that sense, I think that changing the hardware will inevitably change the information. The hardware that makes up your information is inseparable from what makes you you.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #18430 on: March 19, 2018, 08:02:05 am »

Which has some....interesting...religious connotations.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18431 on: March 19, 2018, 08:17:59 am »

There is an Christian tradition that when the second coming happens you will live forever in the new earth-paradise, but in your old body. This was one of the religious reasons people were against for example, scientific and forensic autopsies and similar things - they would destroy the body and prevent the person from entering heaven.

If I understand things correctly, the Muslim tradition of the body having to be whole when interred (or whatever the rule is, I'm far from an expert) is based on the same abrahamaic root idea. And iirc Jewish faiths still have something similar too?
Love, scriver~

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18432 on: March 19, 2018, 10:57:35 am »

Then there's Hinduism that says having your body intact makes it harder to reincarnate because you're still attached to it. Burning it makes it easier to let go.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18433 on: March 19, 2018, 12:26:45 pm »

My mind is software running on a piece of hardware that is my body.

I don't think that is true. There's no software, we are only hardware. In that sense, I think that changing the hardware will inevitably change the information. The hardware that makes up your information is inseparable from what makes you you.

I'm sure a person would change if their mind was put into a different body, only because I'm sure that there are differences in how bodies experience the world.  Plenty of things about me would change, I'm sure, just by having a proper sense of smell.

But I don't think that's really the stuff that makes you you.  If I ever had the opportunity to repair/enhance my sense of smell, I wouldn't pass it up due to fears that it would change who I am.

There is an Christian tradition that when the second coming happens you will live forever in the new earth-paradise, but in your old body. This was one of the religious reasons people were against for example, scientific and forensic autopsies and similar things - they would destroy the body and prevent the person from entering heaven.

If I understand things correctly, the Muslim tradition of the body having to be whole when interred (or whatever the rule is, I'm far from an expert) is based on the same abrahamaic root idea. And iirc Jewish faiths still have something similar too?

But this logic, it would also be good to die young?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18434 on: March 19, 2018, 01:06:54 pm »

There's not really a lot of logic to it. Until 1963 the Catholic Church considered cremation a sin for "attempting to deny resurrection", and even now they try to bar ashes scattering. Any weirder kinds of burial are right the hell out.

Guess they're confirming God is an ancient AI and they're trying to save some of that processing power.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1227 1228 [1229] 1230 1231 ... 1419