Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1326 1327 [1328] 1329 1330 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758809 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #19905 on: November 20, 2019, 03:43:28 am »

It's not supposed to be a statement about barbers or reality. It's just a setup. It could just as easily be

Bob shaves all those and only those who do not shave themselves. Does Bob shave himself?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19906 on: November 20, 2019, 10:03:20 am »

Well that's no Paradox either, because no, by the set up, he doesn't. If he did, if also wouldn't be a paradox, it would just mean the set-up becomes untrue by change
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19907 on: November 20, 2019, 10:50:31 am »

I'm terrified that I'm going to have to learn who A$AP Rocky is.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19908 on: November 27, 2019, 12:20:37 am »

Just applied for state aid for food, bills, and medical costs. I'm not fond of the idea, but a)that's what they're there for, I literally cannot work, and b) I don't have a choice.

feelsbadman/terrified of being rejected.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19909 on: November 27, 2019, 01:32:28 am »

Well that's no Paradox either, because no, by the set up, he doesn't.

Well if he doesn't shave himself -- then he must shave himself, since Bob shaves all those who don't shave themselves, and he is Bob. Contradiction.

Similarly, if he does shave himself -- then he does not shave himself, because Bob only shaves those who don't shave themselves, and he is Bob. Contradiction again.

The paradox arises from the fact that neither answer would be logically coherent, but there must be a logically coherent answer to any valid question in any logically coherent system. Thus there is a paradox inherent in the setup.

What all this means, in the end, is that the setup can never happen. Hence, if you think back to the origin of this conversation, sets are not allowed to contain themselves.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19910 on: November 27, 2019, 08:47:17 am »

This reminds me of an old "math troll" on google groups maths group years ago.

you know the "Four Color Theorem" for maps? Well this guy was saying there was a conspiracy to suppress the true "Two Color Theorem" For maps. The "two-color theorem" holds that you can merely color the borders black and the spaces white, hence only two colors are needed to color any map. Prove me wrong, sheeple!

You similarly can find a lot of people bent on "disproving" cantor's theorem's diagonal proof. But the most common by far are the people who are determined to "disprove" the Monty Hall Paradox.

the relevant point is, is that any logic puzzle can be "solved" by changing the definition. But of course, if you change the rules-as-stated then you're no longer solving the same puzzle.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 08:53:00 am by Reelya »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19911 on: November 27, 2019, 11:35:30 am »

you know the "Four Color Theorem" for maps? Well this guy was saying there was a conspiracy to suppress the true "Two Color Theorem" For maps. The "two-color theorem" holds that you can merely color the borders black and the spaces white, hence only two colors are needed to color any map. Prove me wrong, sheeple!

This isn't the things that made you laugh thread.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19912 on: November 27, 2019, 12:27:09 pm »

Hey, it's not my fault the example was bad

For a paradox to be a paradox it has to be logic that is rendered illogical by its own logic. I get why the list within a list is a paradox. It makes sense the way it doesn't make sense.

But you can't just go around making up ridiculous definitions and then deriving "paradoxes" from those. That's not how things work. If your paradox relies on illogic to begin with its not logic rendered illogic by it's own logic. It's just bad logic. By those standards, anything can be a paradox if you just come up with an arbitrarily enough defined premise.

It's to real paradoxes what an anti-hero is to a hero. An anti-paradox, if you will.
Love, scriver~

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19913 on: November 27, 2019, 01:19:39 pm »

Just applied for state aid for food, bills, and medical costs. I'm not fond of the idea, but a)that's what they're there for, I literally cannot work, and b) I don't have a choice.

Have hug.

*Hug*
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19914 on: November 27, 2019, 01:47:30 pm »

Have hug.

*Hug*

Me and my wife both work 40+ and are still on WIC.

If you need it, you need it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19915 on: December 04, 2019, 09:30:32 pm »

Oh I would have loved to have such kind of support here on this country without needing to subscribe to the party, but well, I did have it on some forum members. My family literally didn't starve because a good pal here sent me enough for like two months of food like in just the worst part of our crisis.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19916 on: December 04, 2019, 09:40:40 pm »

Good. You won't starve on Bay 12's watch.

I bet we could take a fair stab at engineering some kind of perpetual food machine if need be.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19917 on: December 04, 2019, 09:55:25 pm »

I dunno, given our education in DF that sounds like a fast-track to Soylent Green or similar. D:   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19918 on: December 06, 2019, 02:13:15 pm »

Look it's simple, we bring the water reactor into real life, Baal makes millions selling the design, then our clothes rot off and we kill each other over the stress. This is the way.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19919 on: December 06, 2019, 02:28:43 pm »

then our clothes rot off and we kill each other over the stress. This is the way.

Way ahead of your there, buddy.
Pages: 1 ... 1326 1327 [1328] 1329 1330 ... 1419