Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758958 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20070 on: January 28, 2020, 12:13:26 pm »

Not sure if you are joking or not, but that's how pretty much every virus reproduces. It's been known for decades and has even been utilised in both genetic engineering and genetic therapies.

edit: Hell, modern (not based on selective breeding) genetic engineering would be impossible without that function.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:15:52 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20071 on: January 28, 2020, 12:27:09 pm »

Since I don't really follow the news can someone explain to me what's the fuss with the corona virus? Is it just the usual case of the media trying to create some panic for that sweet sweet ravenue? The excitement for discovering a new virus? Or is there some danger I can't see?

As of yesterday's WHO report there are hardly 10k cases worldwide of which less than 3k have actually been confirmed to be related. Moreover there just about 100 deaths due to said virus. Tragic as any case can be, these are hardly the numbers to justify all that panic..
In late December/early January there were reports of a Sars like virus coming out of the Wuhan/ Hubei region of China. "everything is fine" was the official message. "No signs of human to human transmission". For the rest of the world, it was pretty much page 3 news.

In the days leading to Chinese New Year (a period of absolutely massive human movement). China issued a wholesale quarantine of Wuhan, a metropolis of roughly 11 million people. By the next day, 15 other cities joined the quarantine, affecting 41 million people. Pretty much the entire province has travel restrictions

Now there's a huge disparity between the numbers China is reporting and China's actions. The country is forgoing billions upon billions of revenue for a 'simple flu'? Raises a big red flag. Purported videos that have come out of the Wuhan region paint a scenario that is much worse than reported. Videos of people collapsing. Videos of desperate medical personnel having breakdowns. Are they true? Are they false? Nobody can say for certain, as China is controlling the flow of information. We do know that they're building two new hospitals from scratch.

As it's the early stages, numbers have been all over the place, with even epidemiologists having widely different reactions and numbers. People don't know how infective it is. People don't know how severe it is.

The current best bet is to listen to your local health authority and to be prepared
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20072 on: January 28, 2020, 12:42:12 pm »

Thanks TamerVirus  :)

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20073 on: January 28, 2020, 01:11:55 pm »

Since I don't really follow the news can someone explain to me what's the fuss with the corona virus? Is it just the usual case of the media trying to create some panic for that sweet sweet ravenue? The excitement for discovering a new virus? Or is there some danger I can't see?

As of yesterday's WHO report there are hardly 10k cases worldwide of which less than 3k have actually been confirmed to be related. Moreover there just about 100 deaths due to said virus. Tragic as any case can be, these are hardly the numbers to justify all that panic..

Constellation Brands is just trying to go viral in the lead up to the Superbowl.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20074 on: January 28, 2020, 02:02:24 pm »

and to be prepared
How well is your backyard nuclear shelter stocked these days, TV?

Not sure if you are joking or not, but that's how pretty much every virus reproduces.
THAT'S THE JOKE

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20075 on: January 28, 2020, 02:25:27 pm »

Yeah I get it.. I just wasn't sure if JoshuaHF was making a joke or if they reiterated (regardless of whether they believe in it or not) an actual narrative used by some media. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if any journalist had said trying to create some fuss.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20076 on: January 28, 2020, 02:34:12 pm »

If any media said this, it'd be the Onion.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20077 on: January 28, 2020, 02:39:51 pm »

Yeah I get it.. I just wasn't sure if JoshuaHF was making a joke or if they reiterated (regardless of whether they believe in it or not) an actual narrative used by some media. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if any journalist had said trying to create some fuss.

Having full words in all-capitals in the middle of the sentence tipped me off. Poe's law is nuts lately, though.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20078 on: January 28, 2020, 02:51:34 pm »

How well is your backyard nuclear shelter stocked these days, TV?
By all means, do nothing.
Doesn't really matter to me.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20079 on: January 28, 2020, 03:42:26 pm »

But I am doing something. I'm engaged in containing the spread of the panic virus, through ridicule of conspiratorial overreaction. You're like patient zero for the outbreak on this forum.

So, anyway. You'll need at least a pallet of Campbell's tomato soup, and another one of baked beans. Canned peaches work well too.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20080 on: January 28, 2020, 03:52:02 pm »

There are satellite viruses that need other viruses to replicate. There are also virophages that infect viruses while using the same molecules to replicate as their host, inhibiting the host virus’s reproduction. Not sure if it would be possible to make a virophage for coronaviruses or not, but I think it’s cool that stuff like this exists

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20081 on: January 28, 2020, 04:01:34 pm »

But I am doing something. I'm engaged in containing the spread of the panic virus, through ridicule of conspiratorial overreaction. You're like patient zero for the outbreak on this forum.
How about I disregard everything you say and you disregard everything I say?
Deal?
Deal.
 :P

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20082 on: January 28, 2020, 04:10:32 pm »

NO DEAL!

*Headbutts Tamervirus, breaking his nose. Blood spatters across the floor*

Now.... as I was saying, there has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I spare your life. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have one full day to decide.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:12:41 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20083 on: January 28, 2020, 04:13:46 pm »

Hey, have you guys seen Contagion? Nice ensemble cast. Great acting. Very topical vis-a-vis the current outbreak.
Or was it called 28 Days Later? It's one of those.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20084 on: January 28, 2020, 04:16:00 pm »

*Headbutts Tamervirus, breaking his nose. Blood spatters across the floor*

I take out my soup can katana and attack!
(2)
The soup can katana falls apart because I failed to fold it enough times

Dammit!
Pages: 1 ... 1337 1338 [1339] 1340 1341 ... 1419