Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758293 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20085 on: January 28, 2020, 04:37:27 pm »

But I am doing something. I'm engaged in containing the spread of the panic virus, through ridicule of conspiratorial overreaction. You're like patient zero for the outbreak on this forum.
How about I disregard everything you say and you disregard everything I say?
Deal?
Deal.
 :P
NO DEAL!

*Headbutts Tamervirus, breaking his nose. Blood spatters across the floor*

Now.... as I was saying, there has been too much violence, too much pain. None here are without sin, but I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Leave the pump, the oil, the gasoline, and the whole compound, and I spare your life. Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the wasteland. Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. I await your answer. You have one full day to decide.
*Headbutts Tamervirus, breaking his nose. Blood spatters across the floor*

I take out my soup can katana and attack!
(2)
The soup can katana falls apart because I failed to fold it enough times

Dammit!

I missed the purpose of this? Is it because there was no purpose? If there was no purpose why do it? If there is a purpose, what is the purpose?
Hey, have you guys seen Contagion? Nice ensemble cast. Great acting. Very topical vis-a-vis the current outbreak.
Or was it called 28 Days Later? It's one of those.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sounds interesting

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20086 on: January 28, 2020, 04:57:41 pm »

If there was no purpose why do it? If there is a purpose, what is the purpose?
The spinning existential crisis hits Naturegirl1999 in the head. It explodes in ennui.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20087 on: January 28, 2020, 05:15:26 pm »

If there was no purpose why do it? If there is a purpose, what is the purpose?
The spinning existential crisis hits Naturegirl1999 in the head. It explodes in ennui.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20088 on: January 28, 2020, 05:49:34 pm »

Since I don't really follow the news can someone explain to me what's the fuss with the corona virus? Is it just the usual case of the media trying to create some panic for that sweet sweet ravenue? The excitement for discovering a new virus? Or is there some danger I can't see?

As of yesterday's WHO report there are hardly 10k cases worldwide of which less than 3k have actually been confirmed to be related. Moreover there just about 100 deaths due to said virus. Tragic as any case can be, these are hardly the numbers to justify all that panic..

Current numbers are not alarming, the problem is that the number of infected is growing with 50% on a daily basis (since january 17), more or less doubling the number of infected every two days. Despite all efforts, it has not slowed down.
there is a wiki page with statistics here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2019%E2%80%9320_Wuhan_coronavirus_outbreak

If you spend a couple of minutes extrapolating from the current numbers you will see that this is not a good thing. Even if this continues for only two weeks you are looking at a situation that is likely to overwhelm the healthcare system, as the numbers show that quite a large proportion of people need hospital treatment. The fatality rate is hard to estimate, you can not compare it to the current number of infected, as it takes time for the disease to kill people.
There's some hope as the chinese were able to halt the SARS outbreak in 2003, which was a similar disease. Also many viruses are not as virulent when winter ends and the weather warms up, so it may slow down or peter out if we can gain some time. Also, due to the incubation time it may take some time for the results of the efforts to contain this show up.
In any case, I think the Chinese reaction is not out of proportion. I really hope they can slow it down, but so far there are no signs that point in that direction.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:05:11 pm by Bralbaard »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20089 on: January 28, 2020, 07:35:28 pm »

Wuhan and all of Hubei's hospitals are overworked, but testing is getting more accurate and quicker - which is helping to raise the number of confirmed cases. The spread in China has been moderately slowed - almost all cases are being conformed in Hubei, with some pockets in other cities. With low lethality, better medical knowledge, and a quicker moving population, the official numbers of Novel Coronavirus will be higher than SARS.

The real danger is panic, though. Conspiracies are just as popular here as in other countries, but with less internet experience, people are more likely to believe what they read. Several people have turned violent out of fear, and that's what concerns me.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20090 on: January 28, 2020, 08:20:31 pm »

Its true Wuhan governor or mayor quitted?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20091 on: January 28, 2020, 09:16:52 pm »

Its true Wuhan governor or mayor quitted?

Not sure. Generally, political workings are outside the public eye. Probably, though. The director of health in Wuhan, who underplayed the original outbreak has been removed from the party and his position. Probably facing jail time.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20092 on: January 28, 2020, 09:52:55 pm »

Now, sure, this virus seems to be getting more hype than No Man's Sky - but how wild would it be if this somehow was the early beginnings of the start of the end of the world as we know it? I'm pretty sure it's not, but man, just imagine.

...Oh yeah, as for my Terrified, my asthma has been getting worse lately and last night I had a major attack. Couldn't find my inhaler, either (it was hidden from my view between the sides of my headphones, of all things), so it was a desperate battle against panic as I leaned against various objects and tried to force air into my lungs with the assistance of a paper bag.   
I really oughta see my GP about updating my treatment plan, but ehh. That'd be a lot of effort, plus I'll be moving in the near future so I probably won't be able to go in more than once if that turns out to be necessary anyway.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20093 on: January 29, 2020, 03:41:54 am »

No, it starts with an earthquake, birds and snakes, and aeroplanes
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20094 on: January 29, 2020, 03:48:31 am »

We already have all of those. Oh, no. The end is nigh.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20095 on: January 29, 2020, 08:09:54 am »

Oh god we're all gonna die!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20096 on: January 29, 2020, 02:40:39 pm »

I'm ok with it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20097 on: January 29, 2020, 04:46:57 pm »

I'm ok with it.

I read it as "Oh good, we're all gonna die", and it seemed reasonable.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20098 on: January 29, 2020, 10:36:40 pm »

I am unemployed a of next week, I quit. But I have no idea where I'm going from here. And being as I quit I can't get unemployment benefits I'm pretty sure? I'm doomed.

But free.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20099 on: January 30, 2020, 06:11:39 am »

You'll get througt all. Now you are free to get a better job or make one of your own.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 1338 1339 [1340] 1341 1342 ... 1419