Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1778885 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20160 on: February 05, 2020, 02:48:04 pm »

We're not stupid so much as we each live in our own detailed internal model of the universe which due to fundamentally limited resources cannot hope to even vaguely match the unlimited detail of the actual universe, and people have varying priorities as to where the detailed is placed.

That is, we can't perceive anything at all outside of a shockingly tight tunnel vision which we don't often realize is there. When you look at someone else they almost certainly are missing something that's obvious to you. If any of us were observed by a god with complete perception of the universe, we would all look like complete dunkasses.

So I'm sorry I've never heard of this "toilet paper"!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20161 on: February 05, 2020, 02:59:31 pm »

Thank you, Kagus. I had no idea what that text meant until you helped. Not joking.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20162 on: February 10, 2020, 06:01:46 am »

I'm beginning to think the worst-case scenario that my doctor put forth when I asked about my stomach troubles might in fact be the case.
I might have developed a food allergy, most likely gluten intolerance.

Pretty much every meal I eat involves wheat in some form or other, and many of them don't have gluten-free equivalents readily available that I'm aware of - instant noodles, for one.

And that's before we even get to my love of beer... oh gods.
This is truly Terrifying. I haven't ruled out everything else out, like a lack of probiotics or anxiety-induced IBS, but still... this would be just my luck, plus the common symptoms seem almost a perfect match.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:03:19 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20163 on: February 10, 2020, 06:18:21 am »

There are gluten-free beers though. It just depends on how far down the craught rabbit hole that determines how fucked you are. Like, for me, there's no hope... That beard is inside me now.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20164 on: February 10, 2020, 09:39:58 am »

I hope you don't become celiac my friend, maybe is just irritable colon? If that so you'll become the first person I have anykind of contact with that is celiac, that I know off. Haven't heard anyone here asking for anything glutenfree ever. Not that you'll have much chooice anyway.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20165 on: February 10, 2020, 07:26:08 pm »

I hope you don't become celiac my friend
You and me both, Baal, you and me both.
I think I ought to get back into the habit of eating probiotic-rich foods ASAP, which is what the doctor originally advised me to do, to see if there was any improvement.
I kept it up for a while but haven't been doing so lately. Maybe I'll just have to shell out for some expensive probiotic supplements, ugh. I guess it's preferable to having all these stomach issues.

There are gluten-free beers though. It just depends on how far down the craught rabbit hole that determines how fucked you are. Like, for me, there's no hope... That beard is inside me now.
If I hated myself enough to turn to craft beer I'm sure there are plenty of tastier substances beneath the average sink that I could drink free of charge. :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20166 on: February 11, 2020, 04:18:27 am »

Well in that case, you'll be happy to know that generic probiotic usage may be completely useless, and that we likely need individually tailored supplements to have any sort of reliable positive effect from them!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180906141640.htm

We've been using probiotics for ages without actually knowing that much about how they work, or even whether they work at all. Particularly store-bought probiotics are, to a fair degree, just a marketing gimmick. And they can even be actively harmful in some cases, such as getting a probiotic culture that isn't accepted by your personal microbiome after antibiotics decimate the natural gut flora, which just happens to be one of the times where they're most recommended!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20167 on: February 11, 2020, 07:42:20 am »

can't we just gene therapize prions and hope for the best?
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20168 on: February 11, 2020, 08:46:07 am »

Well in that case, you'll be happy to know that generic probiotic usage may be completely useless, and that we likely need individually tailored supplements to have any sort of reliable positive effect from them!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180906141640.htm

We've been using probiotics for ages without actually knowing that much about how they work, or even whether they work at all. Particularly store-bought probiotics are, to a fair degree, just a marketing gimmick. And they can even be actively harmful in some cases, such as getting a probiotic culture that isn't accepted by your personal microbiome after antibiotics decimate the natural gut flora, which just happens to be one of the times where they're most recommended!

Also, they're recommended if you've got an unknown food intolerance. I tell you what, eating yogurt to "cure" what turns out to be lactose intolerance...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20169 on: February 11, 2020, 09:42:10 am »

Yoghurt doesn't have all that much lactose in it, so that makes sense it would cure lactose intolerance.

Unless that was your point and I am stupid and should shut up.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20170 on: February 11, 2020, 10:00:05 am »

Yoghurt doesn't have all that much lactose in it, so that makes sense it would cure lactose intolerance.

Unless that was your point and I am stupid and should shut up.

No, just that it was unkind to my stomach.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20171 on: February 11, 2020, 03:06:51 pm »

Fun fact! Lactose intolerance and dairy allergy are two different things! However, while yoghurt (and cheese) do have reduced lactose and are therefore slightly more suitable for lactose intolerant people, that doesn't mean particularly sensitive individuals won't still react.

A person with dairy/cow milk allergy, however, will react just as strongly to yoghurt as anything else, since it contains the same milk proteins, rather than the lactose sugars that lactose intolerance hates.

So lactose intolerant people can't eat goat or sheep milk products either, since they still contain lactose (albeit in different amounts), but someone with a cow milk allergy potentially could since the proteins are differently-shaped or some shit, I dunno man.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20172 on: February 11, 2020, 03:19:55 pm »

I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20173 on: February 11, 2020, 03:21:12 pm »

Fun fact! Lactose intolerance and dairy allergy are two different things! However, while yoghurt (and cheese) do have reduced lactose and are therefore slightly more suitable for lactose intolerant people, that doesn't mean particularly sensitive individuals won't still react.

A person with dairy/cow milk allergy, however, will react just as strongly to yoghurt as anything else, since it contains the same milk proteins, rather than the lactose sugars that lactose intolerance hates.

So lactose intolerant people can't eat goat or sheep milk products either, since they still contain lactose (albeit in different amounts), but someone with a cow milk allergy potentially could since the proteins are differently-shaped or some shit, I dunno man.

Also, once you get recovered from eating too much lactose, you can slowly bully your body into accepting ever-growing amounts by repeatedly making yourself slightly sick from lactose. You're just building a tolerance to it like you do with alcohol or spicy food.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20174 on: February 18, 2020, 02:13:11 pm »

I drank four v8 energy drinks this morning simply because the tap water is gross at the moment for some reason and I had nothing else on hand. Now I'm all light headed and jittery. If I have a heart attack in the next 48 hours, my mods are up for grabs though I've never given a shit to be honest
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 1419