Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1361 1362 [1363] 1364 1365 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1774644 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20430 on: July 06, 2020, 04:00:57 pm »

They also bobby traped every tunel, bridge, tree, rock and mountain goat they had, which kinda helped.
And their banks helped enthusiastically to launder nazi money. That probably helped more, actually.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20431 on: July 06, 2020, 04:35:37 pm »

They also bobby traped every tunel, bridge, tree, rock and mountain goat they had, which kinda helped.
And their banks helped enthusiastically to launder nazi money. That probably helped more, actually.
oh well, that too  :o :P
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20432 on: July 16, 2020, 05:20:04 am »

Lately I've been really stuck imagining what it must feel like to be hammered or bludgeoned. Just, like, you're lying around minding your own business, and then someone just crushes your skull in with a weight or a rock or something; wondering what it would feel like to be the victim.

And then I'm caught thinking about my cousin, who actually murdered two people that way. Just hammered them while they were on the ground and defenseless, just for the fun of it, I guess, I don't know his motivation for certain. I wonder how those people felt before all sensations ceased entirely. It's just stuck in my mind today. My disgust and hatred for that criminal, I don't know if I'll ever be rid of it, and it's just another burden I'll have to carry in my life forever.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20433 on: July 16, 2020, 05:28:09 am »

Let go of that burden pal. Unless you personally helped him in the murders it has nothing to do with you, even if he was your identical twin, let alone your cousin.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20434 on: July 28, 2020, 04:25:28 am »

One of the cats jumped up in my lap at the computer and I dropped the bottle of whiskey I was holding.   
Had this horrible, gut-wrenching moment of terror thinking I'd spilled the lot, before I shot my hand down to grab whatever was left and realised the lid was on to begin with and none of it had spilled. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go apologise to the cat for freaking out like I did.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20435 on: August 04, 2020, 01:45:52 pm »

Reporting coming in on a huge fire + explosion in Beirut, very fresh news

First hand video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDeQtmNpJEU/

https://edition.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/lebanon-beirut-explosion-live-updates-dle-intl/index.html

Also in that news, the leader of one of Lebanon's major political parties was killed in the blast.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:51:10 pm by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20436 on: August 04, 2020, 01:50:22 pm »

Reporting coming in on a huge fire + explosion in Beirut, very fresh news
Few more angles Here, Here, Here

Some say it was a fireworks warehouse. Others say an ammonium nitrate stockpile
Reminds me of the Tianjin explosion a couple years back
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20437 on: August 04, 2020, 01:52:51 pm »

The one I heard was that it was a stockpile of confiscated munitions from various factions. I discounted the fireworks thing however, because one official specifically said it wasn't that.

I guess they're just hypotheses at this point, so I avoided attributing a specific cause.

Few more angles Here, Here, Here

You know when you said "angle" there i assumed you meant an "and now for a different angle on the story we turn to our Washington correspondent" type of "angle", rather than "and now for a different angle on the story, we've rotated the monitor 45o".

However in a couple of videos there, you do see those firework like crackles just before the main explosion.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:59:05 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20438 on: August 04, 2020, 01:58:47 pm »

Current claim is that it was a shipping vessel in harbor, which may or may not have been carrying fireworks.

Given what happened during the Halifax disaster, I think a shipping vessel full of munitions would be an even bigger explosion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20439 on: August 04, 2020, 02:01:15 pm »

Looks more like a warehouse to me in the videos. There's the big white building in the middle, and you have the same type of smaller buildings clustered around it, see video #1 and #2 from Tamervirus. Unless the ship just happened to have the same structure on it as the warehouses on the other side of the large white building, I can't see how that's a ship.

EDIT: first claimed death tolls coming in, i won't put figures because i don't want to get into a thing where we keep updating some tally.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:09:02 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20440 on: August 04, 2020, 02:08:13 pm »

It's definitely a harbor. Perhaps the fire started in the warehouse and jumped to the ship.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20441 on: August 04, 2020, 02:11:08 pm »

There's no ship however.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/blast-apparently-caused-by-explosive-materials-seized-from-ship-stored-at-port/

After conflicting initial reports, Lebanese officials are now suggesting that the explosion was caused by highly explosive confiscated materials rather than fireworks.

Director-General of Lebanon Public Security Abbas Ibrahim says: “The storage area contained highly explosive materials confiscated years ago. To discuss fireworks is laughable.”

This is what I came across originally but I didn't want to cite it as it's still in the rumor stage.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 02:20:26 pm by Reelya »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20442 on: August 04, 2020, 02:21:25 pm »

I saw the explosion on a whatsapp group. Very sad.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20443 on: August 04, 2020, 02:23:38 pm »

It looks like the wind was too weak to expose the area that was on fire in any of the filmed angles. I guess we'll just have to wait for an investigation.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20444 on: August 04, 2020, 02:27:45 pm »

So you're saying we can't rule out the ship theory because of smoke?
Pages: 1 ... 1361 1362 [1363] 1364 1365 ... 1419