Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1362 1363 [1364] 1365 1366 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758795 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20445 on: August 04, 2020, 02:33:08 pm »

You can see the fireworks going in the video I saw. Its possible the fireworks started the fire and it spreaded towards diesel containers and then the explosive materials.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20446 on: August 04, 2020, 02:37:50 pm »

Here's some super close up video, possibly from a livestream.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20447 on: August 04, 2020, 02:41:03 pm »

Amazing if that person survived.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20448 on: August 04, 2020, 04:12:25 pm »

Was it an attack?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20449 on: August 04, 2020, 04:14:29 pm »

It seems pretty unlikely. This follows the general pattern of a chemical plant explosion - building catches on fire, then a sudden huge explosion midway through the burn.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20450 on: August 04, 2020, 04:18:09 pm »

Some is saying there was a drone that dropped something. Im trying to find it. Also there wasnt today a march or protests against hezbolah? Dunno if it has anything to do with anything.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20452 on: August 06, 2020, 04:09:55 pm »

The explosion in Lebanon was almost certainly the result of an enormous quantity of fertilizer that was confiscated from a ship several years ago and then tied up in legal hell since. There's been evidence discovered that there's been yearly petitions to get the stuff removed before it blew up the town, and workers were sent in to weld the doors shut shortly before the blast to prevent theft.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20453 on: August 09, 2020, 07:36:33 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:35:03 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20454 on: August 09, 2020, 08:21:20 am »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-05/beirut-blast-raises-concern-about-newcastle-ammonium-nitrate/12527546

2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate was in the Beirut blast.

Newcastle's stockpile of between 6,000 to 12,000 tonnes is stored at Orica's Kooragang Island plant in the Port of Newcastle, according to the company.

"That factory is only three kilometres from Newcastle's CBD and only 800 metres from North Stockton residents," said chemical engineer and community campaigner Keith Craig.

Newcastle, Australia btw.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20455 on: August 09, 2020, 08:29:58 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:35:07 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20456 on: August 09, 2020, 08:50:37 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNT_equivalent

This page already has the Beirut explosion listed by size, so that should give you an idea of how big it is on the scale of explosions.

The Beirut explosion was about 2 GWh of power, vs 3.5 GWh for Halifax. So the Australia one could be bigger than that if it exploded. If it was the 12k tonnes size then the expected yield could be over 8 GWh, which is about half the estimated lower bound of the Hiroshima bombing. BTW the population of Newcastle is 322,000, and the estimate population of Hiroshima was 345,000 before the bombing. So, this could in fact be bad on a Hiroshima scale if they don't do something. Beirut was a wake up call.

EDIT: and that got me reading some stuff about Hiroshima now. My take on it is that they didn't need to bomb a city, they could have demonstrated the bomb without doing that, but they wanted to know what it did to real people and that was the window of opportunity.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 08:59:50 am by Reelya »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20457 on: August 09, 2020, 09:09:53 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:35:11 pm by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20458 on: August 09, 2020, 11:48:06 am »

You can ask for a removal, sure. They kinda' need to check on it to make sure it's not malignant, though, so... yeah. See the dermatologist. Can't just hack it off without observation and/or biopsy, 'cause that can be how you get dangerous skin cancer.

E: Welp. Funeral might as well have been fucking tailor made to spread a plague, even with relatively (but not fully, of goddamn course) complete mask compliance. Time to spend the next couple of weeks wondering if this just turned a chunk of my family into fucking plague statistics :-\
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 05:00:38 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20459 on: August 09, 2020, 09:08:52 pm »

I've got a dull burning sensation when applying pressure to the inside of my groin. It's the same sort of pain I had when I had an inguinal hernia some five years ago, but on the opposite, un-fixed side. No bulging yet, but this would be a really, really bad time to need to get something fixed, since I have no health insurance.

I think I also need to see a dermatologist about a mole that cropped up on my arm a few weeks ago after catching a sunburn, but I have no idea if I can just ask to have it hacked off and call it a day.

Neither of those sounds pleasant, but hopefully neither are as bad as they could be.
Pages: 1 ... 1362 1363 [1364] 1365 1366 ... 1419