Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758123 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20580 on: November 26, 2020, 10:54:23 pm »

Wait, are you talking interactions with customers or colleagues here? I thought you meant colleagues were getting angry instantly. But if it's customers specifically, that makes more sense. I was confused before. Dealing with customers is not that pleasant at the best of times, you need to have a good ability to forget the previous interaction.

If there's a problem with your customer service has management given any feedback on what that might be?

If the big problem is initial impression, then maybe change up how you greet the person. Do you do a "how are you (doing) today?" or whatever comes natural, that's a good one, it pushes the interaction back to them.

I'm going out on a limb here, so don't take offense if this is off-base - but is it an "active listening" issue? Do you start with "how can I help you today?" and they start trying to explain their problem then get angry. What it might be in that case is that your body language is signalling to them that you're not listening, even if you are. And that might be the key then, look into "active listening" techniques.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:04:26 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20581 on: November 27, 2020, 12:00:19 am »

Wait, are you talking interactions with customers or colleagues here? I thought you meant colleagues were getting angry instantly. But if it's customers specifically, that makes more sense. I was confused before. Dealing with customers is not that pleasant at the best of times, you need to have a good ability to forget the previous interaction.

If there's a problem with your customer service has management given any feedback on what that might be?

If the big problem is initial impression, then maybe change up how you greet the person. Do you do a "how are you (doing) today?" or whatever comes natural, that's a good one, it pushes the interaction back to them.

I'm going out on a limb here, so don't take offense if this is off-base - but is it an "active listening" issue? Do you start with "how can I help you today?" and they start trying to explain their problem then get angry. What it might be in that case is that your body language is signalling to them that you're not listening, even if you are. And that might be the key then, look into "active listening" techniques.

They want me to engage in small talk with people I have no interest in nor anything in common with, but also as the person at the exit I'm supposed to get rid of them as quickly as possible.  I'm dealing with at least 50 cars or much more a day, and they're all special in basically the exact same way.  I get the same apology over the same mistake because reading basic road signs is impossible, at least 10 times.

But it's not like its much better outside of work.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20582 on: November 27, 2020, 06:44:34 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:06:30 pm by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20583 on: November 27, 2020, 07:59:33 am »

Never take anything a customer throws at you personal.  Convince yourself that they are not angry at you, they are just revelling in their short illusion of power over the system that being a customer / engaging in a customer-employee interaction can entice.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20584 on: November 27, 2020, 07:59:18 pm »

I work in a call center for package delivery, such as Amazon.

I eat stress and shit lightning.

But yea, IME they are pissed at the situation, and vent it out in front of you because they think that's what you're there for.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20585 on: November 28, 2020, 08:52:21 am »

"Facebook Currency" terrifies yet fascinates me.  These mega corps are becoming "non-geographic" states...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20586 on: November 28, 2020, 09:16:29 am »

Loyalty centers are right around the corner.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20587 on: November 28, 2020, 10:56:45 am »

"Facebook Currency" terrifies yet fascinates me.  These mega corps are becoming "non-geographic" states...

International or multinational states might be something we're overdue for. The largest problems of humanity can't be resolved by individual nations, but by large global entities that span over the whole world. Now... if only those entities weren't predominantly lawless, amoral, money-minded organizations.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20588 on: November 28, 2020, 11:05:07 am »

Well, just read that Elon is planing his colony on Mars to not follow any Earth law... we could always pack up there, in 30 years if he is to be believed.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20589 on: November 28, 2020, 11:44:48 am »

Why would anyone believe that pothead is another question altogether.

Honestly, tech hurdles aside, given his performance during the pandemic he would be one of the last people I'd trust to oversee a project in which my life and limb would depend on responsible leadership
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 11:46:44 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20590 on: November 28, 2020, 12:07:28 pm »

Remember when he called the rescue leader of the rescuing of those Thai children from that cave system a paedophile for saying the submarine he sent them wasn't useful because it was to big to fit in the caves?
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20591 on: November 29, 2020, 04:53:02 am »

Ooh I had forgotten about *that* one. I was thinking about his conversion to covid denialism and subsequent antivaxxerism.

There's also the whole fiasco about the NIMV devices
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20592 on: November 29, 2020, 09:22:29 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:06:45 pm by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20593 on: November 29, 2020, 10:04:40 pm »

You ever rib your friends into an hour+ emotional spiral because the tenuous nature of their careers and passions clash with the current threat of covid-19?

I'm complicit in a disaster and it's beyond my grasp to help, and as group Den Mother, all I can do is stand sentinel to the now-otherwise-empty voice channel we were going to share.

I always feel guilty that my job is willing to pay me to do nothing at home while the quarantine was (and now is, again) going on.  Meanwhile millions are trying to grab unemployment or otherwise get by.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20594 on: November 30, 2020, 08:56:51 am »

Dementia.

coughs in everywhere at the end of time
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG
Pages: 1 ... 1371 1372 [1373] 1374 1375 ... 1419