Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1396 1397 [1398] 1399 1400 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1778059 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #20955 on: September 26, 2021, 12:42:42 pm »

Michigan, fall weather is definitely here.

It's probably an "infestation"; we live semi-rural, and there are definitely obvious entry points in the exterior of our house.

Luckily there's not much food here, just shelter; we've never seen evidence of mice in our pantry, just in the basement.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20956 on: September 26, 2021, 01:46:34 pm »

The most effective way to fight is with anticoagulant bait. They don't die right away so they don't associate the deaths with the bait. Even if is not on your pantry rodent infestation can lead to health problems and even structural ones on wooden houses. If they get their pawns on warpstone things can become really dire.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20957 on: September 26, 2021, 03:40:09 pm »

If it's an infestation, then a cat is doubly important. They kill mice for fun rather than hunger, so they don't care about scale in the way single-use mouse traps do. Pay a little extra and get a hypo-allergenic one so your wife doesn't get bothered.

What's wonderful about cats is that they won't just help with this infestation, but also the next one and any after that. They'll kill the mice before you even spot them, and hopefully nip any future infestations in the bud before they grow out of control.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20958 on: September 26, 2021, 04:06:49 pm »

Wait what? There is such a thing as a single-use mousetrap?

I'm a cheap-o; I am using those $1 steel spring things. Good for probably thousands of uses, and way less maintenance than a feline solution.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20959 on: September 26, 2021, 04:22:17 pm »

Wait what? There is such a thing as a single-use mousetrap?

I'm talking about the spring-loaded ones that you need to reset each time they catch a mouse. When I worked with mousetraps in the past, I would set it down, it would catch a mouse in my sleep and then I would have to reset them next morning when I wake up. You need to buy a lot of those kinds of traps if you want to tackle an infestation at a reasonable rate, while you only need to buy one cat to deal with all of your mice forever (plus food and water).

Plus it's a lot easier for a mouse to outsmart a trap than it is to outsmart a cat.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:24:43 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20960 on: September 26, 2021, 04:53:45 pm »

Probably north, south has spring starting now.

I can't believe I made such a basic mistake. What a fool I am.

Rather than buy a cat, have you considered domesticating the mice and making them your pets instead of a cat?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20961 on: September 26, 2021, 05:28:49 pm »

I had a bit of a weekend.  Friday night I just couldn't sleep at all, and then last night (Saturday) I got the USB cable for my microphone in the mail...

And I kinda just recently woke up at 6PM with a browser full of old music, vague memories of reconnecting with my brother about Halo, and notifications from a couple (nice) friends I definitely don't remember reconnecting with.

On the plus side, this is actually noteworthy instead of just another weekend.

...ah fuck I rambled about transhumanism in the lewd chat, too.  Deep breathes.  I don't want to look, but it's important I see what I did.
Edit: There's also a mysterious hole in my right sock near the toes, wtf
Edit2: "fewd-Rautha" in my google search box...? - oh yeah, brother and I were talking about the Dune movie and the upcoming remake!  Hehe, Duncan Idaho is still the best name.  also it looks like I did alright, fell asleep pretty early actually.  So the scarier thing is that I slept for uh... 14 hours (interrupted by one phone call)?  That's not even that surprising though, because I've had so much trouble falling asleep for weeks.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 05:40:20 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20962 on: September 26, 2021, 05:33:41 pm »

rambled about transhumanism in the lewd chat

truly, the meaning of life is to seek small moments of transcendence amongst the crassness of our squishy existence or something

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20963 on: September 26, 2021, 05:41:37 pm »

Yeah at least I didn't necro the Alpha Centauri thread this time!  I've been playing it again (and is definitely the reason I had transhumanism on the mind).
(That and Halo AND Dune, actually!)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 05:46:40 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20964 on: September 26, 2021, 06:02:43 pm »

was it at least transhumanism as it relates to the lewds?
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20965 on: September 26, 2021, 06:08:49 pm »

Thankfully not!  It was a semi-legitimate tangent about equipment and bio-modding that had little to do with gender, heh.  More "What is a human??" than "What is a man??"

As usual my behavior wasn't nearly as bad as I feared.  It's still really scary, and I want to hold on to that.  I should be afraid to get that drunk.  I've made mistakes that way, worse than just being kinda obnoxious.
She/they

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20966 on: September 27, 2021, 08:57:44 am »

Yeah at least I didn't necro the Alpha Centauri thread this time!  I've been playing it again (and is definitely the reason I had transhumanism on the mind).
(That and Halo AND Dune, actually!)
I don't mind such necros. Alpha Centauri discussions are rare for me because I am yet to infect my friends with this game/mind worm virus. Rare to have a game whose manual came with a reading list

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20967 on: October 25, 2021, 06:30:48 am »

In Germany, the German police stopped and chased off a gang of dozens of armed men, who had responded to a call from extreme-right organisation Dritte Weg (Third Way) to come and defend the border with Poland from refugees, and prevent them from entering the country by any means.

The police stopped the group after a search of the 50km border area near Guben and Neiße-Damm.
Members of the group were carrying pepperspray, batons, a bajonet and a machete.

All have been given a restraining order for the area, and those that were found carrying weapons will be prosecuted.

It is terrifying. The nazis are forming militia again in Germany.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 06:40:32 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20968 on: October 25, 2021, 08:28:16 am »

It is terrifying
Pages: 1 ... 1396 1397 [1398] 1399 1400 ... 1419