Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1402 1403 [1404] 1405 1406 ... 1419

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758457 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #21045 on: June 13, 2022, 09:58:37 am »

I think the apple store might have an option to remotely delete data on a stolen device.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #21046 on: June 13, 2022, 10:16:37 am »

I think the apple store might have an option to remotely delete data on a stolen device.

I've disconnected it from my apple account. I'm hoping I was right in assuming it locks it down further, since I now can't access it remotely for more options due to said disconnection.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #21047 on: June 13, 2022, 11:10:59 am »

Yikes man. You're brave. Glad you're okay. Such groups should not exist.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 11:13:19 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #21048 on: June 13, 2022, 02:28:45 pm »

I'll keep you updated when something changes. In some thread, as much as I feel I can say in a context where it could in theory be read by anyone. (and I'm fine with that limit, I got family and others to talk the full details with.)

Thanks for your kind words everyone, including those pointing out I was careless. Genuinely.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21049 on: June 14, 2022, 08:56:07 pm »

A door wedge will keep someone out of your place far better than any lock, is inexpensive, and requires them to bust a door or window if someone tries to get in (things that famously, aren't quiet). If you're looking for some peace of mind that doesn't break the bank, I recommend picking one or two up.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21050 on: July 17, 2022, 01:57:44 pm »

Feral dogs or wolves probably, if you live in the US. Coywolves (the wolf/coyote hybrids) potentially, they're more aggressive than coyotes and present in the northeast, but I've never heard of them stalking people before. Good reason to keep a handgun and a big knife on you at all times tbh.

Although, maybe it's just raccoons hoping you'd drop something!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21051 on: July 17, 2022, 02:05:23 pm »

Humans in daylight: Lookit the cute lil critters prancing about.
Humans at night: Run! It's Cthulhu!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21052 on: July 17, 2022, 03:31:54 pm »

Feral dogs: What the fuck is that

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21053 on: July 17, 2022, 04:41:52 pm »

It could also have been the ghosts of dead Russian paratroopers
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21054 on: July 18, 2022, 04:50:36 am »

If your worried about feral dogs just carry around a tire iron that's what I did when I was little and worried about being attacked my neighbors wolf dogs.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21055 on: July 18, 2022, 06:37:48 am »

My mother nearly got mauled by a pack of wild dogs when she was a kid, she said she managed to keep them away with a dustbin lid in time for some older villagers to come to her aid with sticks. She said they were worse than much bigger wild animals, because even a tiger or crocodile feared humans, but only the dogs were willing to attack humans who had spotted them

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21056 on: July 18, 2022, 12:01:19 pm »

If your worried about feral dogs just carry around a tire iron that's what I did when I was little and worried about being attacked my neighbors wolf dogs.

Tbh, I would suggest going with a large knife, like a kbar or something. I guess a lot of Europe you can't even carry like a utility knife (multitool) around though? Like go for the throat or the abdomen or even between the ribs

But yeah, feral dogs scare me too. The forest ranger on the reservation was citing feral dogs as the ones killing ranchers cattle. Knowing what Puddles did to Lucy I gotta say they're not so cute when they decide to maul someone or something, even just to become top dog in the pack
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21057 on: July 18, 2022, 01:22:37 pm »

I've never had to fend off wild animals before, but I'd assume you'd want a weapon with some reach on it, to stop them from getting close enough to bite in the first place. The best would probably be mace/pepper spray; if it can incapacitate a human attacker, it can definitely scare off a dog I'd imagine, especially with their heightened sense of smell.

Where the heck do you live that their are wild dogs around though? and where's wierd to advocate for rural gun rights?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21058 on: July 18, 2022, 01:47:39 pm »

I live in rural NW US, dogs go feral and form packs worldwide.

I would absolutely say a weapon with reach is good, but you don't want it to be defenseless if they get inside that reach. Hit them with a tree branch if you must, bear spray (really strong pepper spray) is great and a must have item for hiking but keep a knife on you if they get past it. Or, yknow, if you need a knife for some reason.

I just carry the knife, bearspray combo and a handgun just in case (because 'murica and im licenced). I've thankfully not had to use any of it, critters tend to leave rather than fight if you're not giving aggressive or prey signals and stay away from them, and making enough noise they hear you coming and choose to leave (but then you never get to see them, which kinda socks, but not as much as getting mauled by a bear or moose would)

I snuck up on a moose once, but it turned around and walked away. Coyotes and deer always run from my experience.
I don't even know what lives in Portugal. Deer presumably? Probably foxes, rabbits, maybe wild goats?

Oh OK, according to brittanica.com they do have wild pigs, and iberian wolves in secluded areas.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 01:53:51 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #21059 on: July 18, 2022, 02:05:39 pm »

So here is an update.
I'll refrain from telling too much, as it could in some way risk my personal integrity. I'm even less keen on that nowadays, though in this case it would go in the direction of you being more able to figure out my RL identity. The reverse would arguably be worse, especially if I talk about myself/where I am/my habits etc. on the internet and people who may have photographed me (even nazis own smartphones, so I can't exclude that possibility) get to read that info. But anyways I had my first therapy sesh today. The talking with someone about it went okay and I am relatively fine; though still obviously mentally affected I have had methods of keeping up with it. A rock in my shoe is that the police have been not so keen on investigating or keeping in touch at all, really. In all likelihood this is a bureaucratic issue, rather than anything malicious. But if it just sizzles out, I imagine this will be the last/only update. It's not optimal, but at least it is better than me getting to post an update in the "absolutely terrified" thread without on-going legal procedures to balance it out/make it worth it. That could only mean bad things.
Pages: 1 ... 1402 1403 [1404] 1405 1406 ... 1419