Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1758912 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #21225 on: February 10, 2023, 02:05:56 am »

I wanna replace all the roads with light rail that has train cars moving perpetually on it, waiting times under 2 minutes at all intersections.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21226 on: February 10, 2023, 02:11:23 am »

The dream is to just fly bodily to your destination unhindered by the laws of physics.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21227 on: February 10, 2023, 04:30:52 am »

I'd just like for people to be less stupid and stick to the sidewalks instead of waling in the damn road.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #21228 on: February 10, 2023, 09:31:24 am »

I'm a proponent of muhammedan urban engineering: my dream is to instead of having to go to my destination having the destination go to me
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21229 on: February 10, 2023, 09:53:26 am »

So you want a massive expansion of amazon drone delivery, gotcha'.

I do have this neat mental image of them flying bureaucrats around, though. Like, the logical expansion of "bring the destination to you" is that when you need to do paperwork a drone would abduct whoever handles the processing and fly them to your house.

Also flying petting zoos would be awesome. You want pet kitten, drone steals kitten and brings to window. You want pet goat, drone gets goat. You want pet giraffe, drone straps jetpack to giraffe, flies it tugboat style to your house. This is a future worth living.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21230 on: February 10, 2023, 11:12:45 am »

I wanna replace all the roads with light rail that has train cars moving perpetually on it, waiting times under 2 minutes at all intersections.
That is a pipe dream even more than JoshuaFH's.

I believe that our best for the future is autonomous public transport and cars, with better Urban planning and integration of mass transit into it.

I'm a proponent of muhammedan urban engineering: my dream is to instead of having to go to my destination having the destination go to me

I believe the closest we have is Urban planning scheme (forgot its name) that build small self sufficient city blocks, it aims to bring most daily necessities to you thus saving you from much congestion/parking hell but still have a 20min walk distance.. which isn't all to bad many people now days could use some exercise in their potato life style.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21231 on: March 27, 2023, 08:59:53 pm »

I'd like to go outside more often, but there are more roads than sidewalks and some of the sidewalks lead to dead ends, at least the speed limit is low

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21232 on: April 13, 2023, 11:23:01 pm »

If I said that politicians around the world are using massive social media bot networks to spread propaganda and astroturf political opinions to influence the outcome of elections, would you believe me?

Probably. We all know about the influence the Russians had on the 2016 elections, but this issue is much bigger than Russia. I first learned about this when I heard about the Canadian government using bots to promote controversial gun legislation (and downvote/bury opinions that opposed it), but recently I've learned that the Americans are doing it too.

Today I've suddenly grasped the scale of this problem, and the implications terrify me. I struggle to see how democracy can survive if governments and political parties develop the ability to control political discourse this strongly. Dissenting opinions will have almost no room to be heard. What little that does make it through will be crippled by peer pressure. People generally aren't the best at independent thought after all.

Trying to imagine how this technology will develop in the future genuinely makes me feel sick to my stomach.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21233 on: April 15, 2023, 03:42:57 pm »

I always assumed they eat the pokemon but never mentioned it because it's a kids game.

They do mention it, specifically. The pokedex entry for Farfetch'd (at least in Yellow, dunno if it differed between versions) states that it'd been hunted to near-extinction due to deliciousness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21234 on: April 15, 2023, 04:06:35 pm »

*raises finger*

uh, what took you back to a post from ~five months ago, anyway?
Ask not!
Ask!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21235 on: April 15, 2023, 04:42:41 pm »

The desire for roasted bird-mons.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21236 on: April 15, 2023, 05:37:18 pm »

*raises finger*

uh, what took you back to a post from ~five months ago, anyway?

Terrifying, isn't it? I guess that's just where "New replies" decided to take me this time around. Always a wild ride.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21237 on: April 16, 2023, 01:21:59 am »

I always assumed they eat the pokemon but never mentioned it because it's a kids game.

They do mention it, specifically. The pokedex entry for Farfetch'd (at least in Yellow, dunno if it differed between versions) states that it'd been hunted to near-extinction due to deliciousness.
Must have missed that bit, probably should replay Yellow one day, or maybe find a different one to play since I've only played yellow.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21238 on: April 16, 2023, 06:56:51 am »

Must have missed that bit, probably should replay Yellow one day, or maybe find a different one to play since I've only played yellow.

If I remember correctly, it was also in the anime Pokedex entry as well. The American dub, even.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21239 on: April 16, 2023, 11:36:02 am »

Pretty sure they were eating slowpoke tails in the next gen after yellow, too? Think that's what they were doing with the things, anyway.

Yeah, checking, it's noted specifically as being "very tasty", and shows up in various meals in later games. Eventually (whatever generation is Sun & Moon), it's noted the tails can fall off naturally and harmlessly, but prior to that every indication was that they were chopped off.*

There's apparently implication (in the Sun/Moon demo version) they're a controlled substance, too, with a cop staking out a rumored tail trade deal, which would mean slowpoke trail trafficking actually has laws against it.

Quick list I found was here, noting a pile of cases in the series and games where pokemon of various sorts are shown as food.

*E: Actually, from reading a bit more, it's the Alola region slowpoke specifically that lose their tails naturally. Other slowpoke, you gotta' cut.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 11:37:42 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!