Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civs without leaders  (Read 912 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civs without leaders
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:36:24 am »

Recently I checked the goblin civ on the [c] screen and saw that "this land has no important leaders". I know that the kobolds never had any important leaders, at least in my current game, but I was sure that the goblins did (a master if I'm not mistaken). Does this have any in-game significance or is it just fluff? Could the leader have died of old age or take part in a siege without me realizing?

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Civs without leaders
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 01:41:26 am »

I know that if a goblin civ loses their leader, they generally lose their future ability to use mounts, too. Other than that, they behave just like they always did, stealing your kids, ambushing your herbalists, and sieging the whole place.
But I don't know if a leader can show up on their own after you've already started playing... nor if it does anything. I assume that if they can elect a leader that wasn't there from the beginning, it should give them mounting privileges.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 05:36:39 am »

I'm 99% sure that civilizations cannot appoint new leaders outside of world generation. This is especially bad in adventure mode, in my current world only a handful of human castles still have a lord/lady in the keep in the rest there's just a corpse of the leader who died of old age. If your dwarven civilization leader comes to your fortress because you became the capital this will also stop you from getting a king/queen in another fort of the same civilization.
Thanks for clearing up the part about the goblin mounts. I didn't have mounted goblins in my last 4 forts on this world, but the goblins in the current fort still have a law-giver and they come on elk birds.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:02:57 am »

I know that if a goblin civ loses their leader, they generally lose their future ability to use mounts, too.
Yes, in one of my fortresses goblin leader drowned because his crocodile decided to take a long dive. After that goblins attacked me only with infantry. I like to think that they've gathered a meeting after battle and decided "screw those crocodiles, it's safer to go by foot"  :D
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:01:13 am »

It's been a year since the last siege, though in that time I've had numerous ambushes and kidnappings. I thought something might have happened, which is why I checked the [c] screen in the first place.