Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magmaless, pumpless FREEZE trap - give them the cold shoulder!  (Read 5365 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Magmaless, pumpless FREEZE trap - give them the cold shoulder!
« on: November 29, 2010, 02:42:33 am »

This is my attempt at explaining a design for a magmaless, pumpless freeze trap. Most traps of this type that I have seen on the wiki or forum use magma and a row of pumps. I have used this design successfully on a fort, and my brother has used it in one of his forts. In his case, the trap is built in a s-curve hallway to block archers, and is dubbed the "cold shoulder".

Code: [Select]
     z+2         z+1         z0          z-1       

_ . . . _   w . . . w   w _ _ _ w             
 _ . . . _   w . . . w   w _ _ _ w     w w w w w   
 _ . _ f _   w . w . w   w _ G _ w     w H D _ w   
 _ . . . _   w . . . w   w _ _ _ w     w w w _ w   
 _ . _ f _   w . w . w   w _ G _ w     w H D _ w w w w
 _ . . . _   w . . . w   w _ _ _ w     w w w _ _ _ _ _
 _ . . . _   w . . . w   w _ _ _ w     w w w _ w w w w
 _ . . . _   w . . . w   w _ _ _ w     w w w w w   
 _ . . . _   w . . . w   w _ _ _ w             

w  natural rock wall                             
 f  constructed floor                             
 .  open space                             
 _  natural floor                             
 G  grate                             
 H  floor hatch (hooked up to drain lever)                             
 D  door (hooked up to flood lever)                             

Water is supplied from the right on z-1 from a reservoir. The reservoir is located higher than z0 to generate pressure. z+2 is the surface, and is above ground.

Upon pulling the flood lever, the doors on z-1 instantly open. Water pressure-teleports from the reservoir to the floor of z0 almost instantly, where it instantly freezes because it is exposed to the sky. The water does not freeze on the grates on z0, because of the hanging natural rock walls on z+1. This is therefore an 89% freeze trap and an 11% drowning trap.

The flood lever is pulled again to close the doors. The drain lever is then pulled to drop the water that is sitting on the grates and hatches to a drainage area. The drain lever is then pulled to close the hatches. The ice walls in the hallway can then be safely mined out. If a dwarven computer was used to replace most of the lever pulls, the trap could be fired and drained from one lever.

Advantages over other ice trap designs:
- Wagons can path through the z0 entrance hall
- Magma is not required
- Neither Pumps or mechanical power are required
- The design could be expanded to cover a larger area with ice, such as an entire courtyard:

Code: [Select]
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ G _ _ G _ _ G _ _ G _ _ G _ _ G _
_ G _ _ G _ _ G _ _ G _ _ G _ _ G _
_ G _ _ G _ _ G _ _ G _ _ G _ _ G _ (the grates aren't necessary unless you expect wagons)

Disadvantages:
- The trap requires mining to reset
- The trap produces "water" stones
- The trap does not recycle water
- Unless you were able to ice them, flying titans/fbs could trash the device and enter your fort via the piping (this is also true for some other designs using pumps)
- Creatures that can't drown have a 1/9 chance of survival in this trap, on the grate tiles. You could mine a fortification in the ice and shoot them at your leisure.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magmaless, pumpless FREEZE trap - give them the cold shoulder!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 04:44:15 am »

That's pretty neat.  It would also catch fliers if you filled in the entire z+1 level with constructed floors, so they had to come in on the ice level.  That would also support the walls (or natural floor, which also prevents freezing) so z+2 isn't required.

As for the survival of creatures on the grates, well, you can link the grates to the drain lever as well as the hatches.  Then when you drain the water down 20 z-levels to the caverns... you can guess the result  8)
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:27:23 pm »

This is...... really cool. Full applause for you.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Harbinger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 03:22:30 am »

That's pretty neat.  It would also catch fliers if you filled in the entire z+1 level with constructed floors, so they had to come in on the ice level.  That would also support the walls (or natural floor, which also prevents freezing) so z+2 isn't required.

As for the survival of creatures on the grates, well, you can link the grates to the drain lever as well as the hatches.  Then when you drain the water down 20 z-levels to the caverns... you can guess the result  8)

I just recently froze approximately 36 goblins in that hallway.

It.
Was.
Glorious.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 04:02:32 am »

great
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 07:10:33 am »

This is...... really cool. Full applause for you.

I see what you did there. It was quite...

*sunglasses*

... chilling.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 07:13:16 am »

I'm completely new to the concept of freezing, so forgive me, but wouldn't you need to put this in a cold or freezing biome to work?

Just so I'm sure.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:03:31 pm »

I'm completely new to the concept of freezing, so forgive me, but wouldn't you need to put this in a cold or freezing biome to work?

Just so I'm sure.

Yes, it requires a cold or freezing biome. All above-ground water freezes when the temperature is low enough, even if it is covered by a roof. Only a roof of natural dirt or natural stone prevents the water below it from freezing. Magma on the floor below ice can melt it and keep it liquid (providing that the water and magma don't mix and turn into obsidian!).

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 03:37:27 am »

This is really cool! (no pun intended)  I think rather than being fancy with the hanging natural walls, I will instead just make a long meandering 1-wide path so that I can get as much of a siege as possible into the trap before it goes off.  Caravans don't bring wagons, so the 3-wide is not essential.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."