Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I NEED THOSE DOGS FOR ****ING WAR!!!  (Read 9817 times)

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I NEED THOSE DOGS FOR ****ING WAR!!!
« on: November 29, 2010, 08:38:40 am »

GAAAARRRRRAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHH!!!

i am new to the game and already love it, but something just happened that has my blood boiling.
they adopted my dogs, every fucking one of them. I intended to have a dozen war dogs to tear up any thieves and as a last line of defense if the gates were ever breached BUT THOSE ***ING MIDGETS ADOPTED THEM ALLLLLLLL!!!!

how can i best stop my midget stronghold being over run with pet dogs? my current plan is to put the dogs in cages when their puppies. would killing the owners of the other dogs get rid of their pet status? if so what is the most painful way i could do so?

also as a side note, RAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGGGGEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: I NEED THOSE DOGS FOR ****ING WAR!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:44:15 am »

He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:49:39 am »

Next time do Z, go to Animals, and make your dogs unavailable :)
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 09:08:40 am »

AHAHAHAHAH! ohhh, not angry anymore. just laughing.

Next time do Z, go to Animals, and make your dogs unavailable :)

they should have already been unavailable by default, why cant you make puppies unavailable anyway?

[edit]
hey i can and they already are unavailable! how did they get adopted then?
[edit]

also on a side note i keep getting mules, i just thought a migrant brought one but instead it turns out my horse giving it out to the donkeys! (i knew i shouldn't have put them in the same cage!)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:11:29 am by Lex Talionias »

Bromosapian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 09:12:28 am »

Just set someone to constantly be training war animals.  Another option is not using war dogs, dig an entrance to the caverns, then make the only way to the staircase a longish passage way.  Fill it with cage traps, you will get tonnes of awesome cave animals like drathlas/spiders/ giant winged animals.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 09:14:27 am »

Just set someone to constantly be training war animals.  Another option is not using war dogs, dig an entrance to the caverns, then make the only way to the staircase a longish passage way.  Fill it with cage traps, you will get tonnes of awesome cave animals like drathlas/spiders/ giant winged animals.

i keep hearing and reading about caverns but i cant find any.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:19:30 am »

also on a side note i keep getting mules, i just thought a migrant brought one but instead it turns out my horse giving it out to the donkeys! (i knew i shouldn't have put them in the same cage!)
Animals can't become pregnant in cages, and in Dwarf Fortress mules don't come from horses and donkeys, but can only come to your fortress with immigrants or via traders.

Dogs and puppies will only ever be adopted by dwarves if you mark them as available for adoption.  Puppies are unavailable for adoption by default, you have to actually go and make them available on purpose.  If you have dogs or puppies that are owned by dwarves, and you didn't make them available for adoption, then those are probably animals which arrived with immigrants already owned by immigrant dwarves.

i keep hearing and reading about caverns but i cant find any.
Dig further down.  Assuming you're playing the current version, pre-2010 versions didn't have the caverns.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 09:25:20 am »

i am on the current version and i know what happened. i didn't get puppies growing up. It was 20 immigrants who just rocked up, i must have been letting it cruise when they showed. anyway im dieing!!! serious though i had only 20 midgets before and now i'm swamped.

about the caverns, aren't their caves on the surface or something?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 09:28:04 am »

about the caverns, aren't their caves on the surface or something?
The occasional surface caves are basically unrelated to the underground caverns.  Sometimes they connect, but the caverns are pretty much everywhere if you dig deep enough, while caves are rare surface features and mostly are just there to house night creatures or similar monsters.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 09:29:21 am »

there are caves on the surface.  by default they dont show on the embark screen but that can be changed in the world gen settings.

caves are usually home to a megabeast though so embarking on them can be Fun.

the number of cavern layers is also a world gen parameter.  assuming you didnt touch it you should have 3 layers.  basically you dig down until you hit one or reach the magma sea.  Due to the shape/layout of caverns its usually impossible to sink a straight shaft without hitting at least 1 of them.

If you did actually reach the sea without hitting a cavern then do some exploratory digging.  like a 20 tile long corridor extending away from your stair.  repeat every 5-10 levels or so and you'll strike em sooner or later
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:08:54 am »

thx for the help, also what is the max pop of a midget stronghold?

GreenJelly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 12:23:53 pm »

thx for the help, also what is the max pop of a midget stronghold?

The max population is what you set up in the d_init file, in [POPULATION_CAP:#]. I think it's 200 by default.
Jelly

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 12:36:02 pm »

Animals can't become pregnant in cages,

that is not correct, sire .. caged animals tend to breed the same .. even untamed ones or captured war animals when present in different sexes populate "via spores"just like outside held animals

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 12:48:08 pm »

that is not correct, sire .. caged animals tend to breed the same .. even untamed ones or captured war animals when present in different sexes populate "via spores"just like outside held animals
No, they don't.  Animals which are already pregnant when they become caged will give birth while in cages, but animals which are already caged will not become pregnant.  It may be the case that uncaged female animals can become pregnant via caged male animals, this requires more testing to determine, but caged female animals which aren't pregnant when they are caged will not become pregnant while caged.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 12:57:40 pm »

wow then that last wave of warbears in my fortress 2 weeks ago must have been pregnant alltogether .. because from 8 captured war bears emerged about 4-5 chubs while being captured ... and in my current game even when there all dogs are caged they start throwing out puppies like mad ... (since they are so weak they only get caged  instantly they litter and elefant calfes get the bait animal spot ..)

edit: ok checked back on the wiki and it really says that only pregnant animals should litter in cages ... well but for some reasons (not having modded that thing) my animals still breed like mad even if confined to cages when hitting adult age ... bug?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:06:52 pm by schussel »
Pages: [1] 2