Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you imagine your dwarfs?  (Read 3150 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you imagine your dwarfs?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 08:00:56 am »

A rabble of short bearded folk in dirty clothing.  Bloodstained boots regardless of profession.   Good high quality armor and weapons, but rarely decorated.  With a love of mushrooms.

throw in a slightly disheveled, not quite all there, look too them (like that one older hippy from that 70s show) and you have my idea of DF dwarves.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 11:16:43 am »

My base dwarf is like the dwarves in LotR (the live action one). Then the more I learn about what they look like, what theyd o, and what the like modfies it.

My military of all sword dwarves I imagine to be like Gimli. Except they are wearing all sorts of different metals for each piece of equipment. steel sword, iron leggings, leapord leather backpack, brass flask (on their hip of course), steel helm, bronze boots, iron chain mail (or banded mail), and so forth. Their short swords (roman style) are particularly awesome.

All the dwarves I label as peasants though stay as smiley faces (or at best cartoons). They are the list of names that I do not care about and do not notice unless they screw up or unless my food supplies run low (which they take the blame for).

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 08:06:51 pm »

I may have spent too much time in Nethack and other rogue-likes in the past, but I have no difficulties to imagine them as the smiley faces that they are ingame.

If a dragon titan appears, I also have no difficulties to imagine him as a giant uppercase D... I don't see a dragon infront of my eyes.

To explain by using images made for another game: http://www.adom.de/adom/gallery.php3  I imagine my dwarves like in the pictures on the top of that site.
Wow I'm sorta the opposite lol.  It's like the matrix, I don't even see the code...  Heck, I don't even see what the code represents, I just know a dwarf's here and an elephant's there and there's a whole lot of corpses strewn around.

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 05:00:12 am »

Same for me. I always understand things immediately, like a yellow plus sign followed by a blinking solid red smiley followed by a blue-backgrounded dark grey small g followed by a small blue dot.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 05:33:10 am »

Batshit insane midgets. With beards.

Aside from this common trait, their is considerable variation in the ways I consider them. Haulers are more like "I hate my life, it has no meaning", danger rooms military dwarves are akin to terminators (cannot feel fear or remorse or pity and cannot be stopped until killed) with dead eyes, magma diggers laugh a lot, that butcher lady always rubs her hands creepily, the legendary-weaponsmith-without any other labors-and his own forge is a smug, graying dwarf with a deep love of his job, etc.

And then it also depends on a dwarf history. A military dwarf that spent his entire life waiting in the rain will not be the same for me than one who spent his years killing crundles, reachers, crundles, hungry heads, crundles and more crundles.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 05:43:35 am »

They are gigantic, sentinent beards attached to poor, beardless midgets.

What? Makes sense.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 07:47:21 am »

Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 07:53:00 am »

Dead generally.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 08:03:44 am »

Short and to the point. I like that and this way of dorf picturing too.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 08:52:30 am »

A horde of illiterate pagans running around in tatters of clothing and coated in mud.
They live in eternal fear of what my be unearthed in the deeps.
Deep in their subconscious is rooted the idea that trees are evil.
They are all able to shape stone with their bare hands.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 08:57:14 am »

A horde of illiterate pagans running around in tatters of clothing and coated in mud.
They live in eternal fear of what my be unearthed in the deeps.
Deep in their subconscious is rooted the idea that trees are evil.
They are all able to shape stone with their bare hands.

Ah, yes, I forgot the part about beard fishing/smoothing/rock crafting.
MY BEARD FASHIONS MUGS! BEHOLD!
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 01:36:23 pm »

Usually, like this. And especially this.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:38:38 pm by vhappylurker »
Pages: 1 [2]