Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Modding a gun - problems  (Read 2799 times)

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
Modding a gun - problems
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:03:24 pm »

Hello,

I'm trying to mod muskets into the game but i don't want them to use CROSSBOW or BOW skills, is the any way to add my own SHOOTER skill? I couldn't find anything in the raws.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:18:02 am by Kiberkiller »
I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mod own skills?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:06:52 pm »

No.

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 06:15:07 pm »

I could be wrong.  What would you call it when you spend that much time obsessing over something that it turns out you don't even like?
Relationships?

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:16:11 pm »

Is this intended for fortress mode or adventure mode, primarily? If it's for fortress mode, you could use the misc. object user skill, since guns of that tech level don't take a whole lot of skill to use, and the dwarves likely won't be using the skill for anything else anyhow. That's what I'm probably going to use for my own gun mod.

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:36:10 pm »

Is this intended for fortress mode or adventure mode, primarily? If it's for fortress mode, you could use the misc. object user skill, since guns of that tech level don't take a whole lot of skill to use, and the dwarves likely won't be using the skill for anything else anyhow. That's what I'm probably going to use for my own gun mod.

Adventure.
I scrapped musket idea, damage isn't working properly for me, can't get anything more serious than a fractured bone against a naked human.
Relationships?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:42:39 pm »

You could also use the alchemist skill, and rename it for the dwarven civilization. Also, are you using piercing damage for the muskets? If I were you, I would start by making them a copy of crossbows/bolts, and then tweaking their stats to your liking.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 08:40:50 pm »

You could also use the alchemist skill, and rename it for the dwarven civilization. Also, are you using piercing damage for the muskets? If I were you, I would start by making them a copy of crossbows/bolts, and then tweaking their stats to your liking.
Set velocity to an insane rate, and you've got guns.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:33:22 am »

Crossbow isn't actually a bad choice, since it shows up as "Marksman" in-game.  Or if you don't like that, you can change the name in the creature raws with the [PROFESSION_NAME] tag.

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 04:09:23 am »

Been there

Set velocity to an insane rate, and you've got guns.

done that.

I can barely get them to fracture a bone with values of around 100000 or so (i guess that's insane enough), they didn't even manage to get to the brain on successful headshot.
Relationships?

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 04:09:55 am »

Crossbow isn't actually a bad choice, since it shows up as "Marksman" in-game.  Or if you don't like that, you can change the name in the creature raws with the [PROFESSION_NAME] tag.

I guess it's the best choice, musket is a logical evolution of a crossbow.
Relationships?

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding a gun - problems
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 04:37:33 am »

Try using this, or tinker around with it or whatever; it's what I've worked up for the dwarven hand cannon in the gun mod I'm working on. I'm still tweaking and refining it, trying to figure out if it's too powerful/too weak. At least I managed to get it to stop severing people's hands on every hand shot. It has good armor penetration, and is probably overpowered if you're just sticking it in as something the dwarves can make as a normal weapon. (in my mod, the production of the ammo can be dangerously fun [and expensive], which I hope will balance out the power of the weapon).

Anyway, here are the raws for the current version of the hand cannon:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BULLET]
[NAME:bullet:bullets]
[CLASS:BULLET]
[SIZE:150]
[ATTACK:EDGE:15:12000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:5000]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_GUN]
[NAME:gun:guns]
[SIZE:500]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BULLET]
[SHOOT_FORCE:100000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:2000]
[TWO_HANDED:0]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:15000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:4000:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:750]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:40:24 am by Malaclypse »

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 04:40:04 am »

I'll try that, merci.

P.S. Is there anywhere i can read what exactly all tokens stand for? Like size and velocity in real world measurements?
Trying to be realistic.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:43:48 am by Kiberkiller »
Relationships?

Kiberkiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jack Trades' Lair
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 04:46:36 am »

I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with my raws.
I've used your numbers, managed to make a headshot on a naked human but i only got "pierced skin".
Relationships?

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 04:53:44 am »

Try it a few times. It doesn't always kill on a headshot, fortunately. It's not supposed to absolutely annihilate everything in one shot. Early guns were horrendously inaccurate, so I'm glad that that shows up to some degree when the weapon doesn't do much. Of course, when it does get a good hit in (which it does with regularity) it's usually a pretty good shot.

Also, what material are you using for the ammo? That has a considerable effect on the lethality. Iron and steel bullets work well; I'm testing it with other metals right now.

Also, you'll note that it tends to do considerable damage to nerves and connective tissue even on hits to the extremities, which I think is fairly accurate for a hand cannon.

EDIT: Hmm... looks like this isn't the version of the hand cannon I thought it was. I'll have to go back and look for the one that did the bone shattering.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:07:57 am by Malaclypse »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 05:44:00 am »

[ATTACK:EDGE:15:12000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:5000]
vanilla DF's whip is 1-width blunt attack (and being blunt, impacts through armor).
Try [ATTACK:EDGE:2:12000:hit:hits:NO_SUB:5000]
or maybe 4 wide stab instead of 2.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: [1] 2