Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: How long do we have?  (Read 17838 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: How long do we have?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 10:05:20 pm »

I doubt DF will take so long to reach 1.0 that toady will have to name a sucessor. Though seeing his plans for DF it seems it'll aways be his pet project, so he'll aways be working on it, even after 1.0, or so it seems. He also said if something were to happen to him he would make sure DF (and scamps) don't get left out in the cold.

By the time I finish lawschool (3 years from now) I expect DF to be close to halfway done, with the speed things are going now. Worry not, many of us will play DF by the time they have kids, and their kids shall play DF, and then maybe their grandchildren will play DF, and be told stories by their granpa of how there once was a Toad who had a cat and created a universe inside his hard drive. And then he will tell stories about how elves in his time traded cloth and got burned in magma, about how goblins were once melted and reforged into weapons, about how a dwarf once ate a demon rat and it tasted like SAAAATAAANNNN and about how his human adventurer got beheaded by a peasant with his own axe.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:16:57 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 10:14:45 pm »

Worry not, many of us will play DF by the time they have kids, and their kids shall play DF, and then maybe their grandchildren will play DF, and be told stories by their granpa of how there once was a Toad who had a cat and created a universe inside his hard drive.

I'm tempted to sig that, but my current sig still makes me snort and giggle like I'm five.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 10:19:18 pm »

It's mine then.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 10:20:37 pm »

Blizzard or Activision will buy Dwarf Fortress and turn it into a 3D strategy MMO.

There are several countries that would stone you to death just for saying that.
The US would be one of them, if we didn't have an entirely different definition of being "stoned".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 10:27:19 pm »

I doubt DF will take so long to reach 1.0 that toady will have to name a sucessor. Though seeing his plans for DF it seems it'll aways be his pet project, so he'll aways be working on it, even after 1.0, or so it seems. He also said if something were to happen to him he would make sure DF (and scamps) don't get left out in the cold.

By the time I finish lawschool (3 years from now) I expect DF to be close to halfway done, with the speed things are going now. Worry not, many of us will play DF by the time they have kids, and their kids shall play DF, and then maybe their grandchildren will play DF, and be told stories by their granpa of how there once was a Toad who had a cat and created a universe inside his hard drive. And then he will tell stories about how elves in his time traded cloth and got burned in magma, about how goblins were once melted and reforged into weapons, about how a dwarf once ate a demon rat and it tasted like SAAAATAAANNNN and about how his human adventurer got beheaded by a peasant with his own axe.

And they will be presumably be doing that in 3D?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 10:31:35 pm »

I can already see myself telling me nephews (I don't wanna have kids, or marry :P ):

MAH BOI, in me times we killed cloth vendors on the spot! And then his mule would go berserk and kick me parter's eye out!

MAH BOI, why is you english teacher teaching you satanic symbols? The hell is this ampersand doing here?

MAH BOI, in me times lacking shells in our stockpiles meant death to some!

MAH BOI, pick your socks from the floor! In me time people would risk their lives for more socks!

MAH BOI, I'm sorry but we just ate your cat for dinner, its for your own good.

Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 10:41:04 pm »

MAH BOI, I'm sorry but we just ate your cat for dinner, its for your own good.

Urist McNephew gains an unhappy thought.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 11:50:28 pm »

Well, I'm a Singularitarian (and I'm increasingly convinced that DF will be the strong, transhuman AI which ushers it in) so I'm not worried about him dying.

However, the talk of succession amuses me greatly, because now I have this image of a thousand-year long line of succession, a civil war between Toady VIII and ThreeToe IX, and so on and so forth. Toady asks for help from Notch against EA, but Notch burns down Toadstantinople instead. Even so, DF lingers on for two centuries before finally being overrun by Sultan Kotick I The Magnificent.

Oh god my dissertation on Byzantium still infests my brain  :-\
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 02:35:28 am »

Well, I'm a Singularitarian (and I'm increasingly convinced that DF will be the strong, transhuman AI which ushers it in) so I'm not worried about him dying.

However, the talk of succession amuses me greatly, because now I have this image of a thousand-year long line of succession, a civil war between Toady VIII and ThreeToe IX, and so on and so forth. Toady asks for help from Notch against EA, but Notch burns down Toadstantinople instead. Even so, DF lingers on for two centuries before finally being overrun by Sultan Kotick I The Magnificent.

Oh god my dissertation on Byzantium still infests my brain  :-\

Does this mean DF will be the cause of World War IIII?

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with socks and stone-fall traps."

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 11:54:43 am »

Doesn't toady have an apprentice? He already gets items for Toady when he wants them.

So the answer to the question of who will take over when toady dies is...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's so obvious.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 01:50:47 pm »

It is slightly worrying that Dwarf Fortress, as it stands, has a bus factor of just one.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 01:56:49 pm »

He will upload the then sentient DF into scamps!

I for one welcome our new overlord.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 02:47:14 pm »

I need some useful skills, quickly! Or maybe I need no useful skills at all, so I get to be the philosopher.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 02:53:18 pm »

Excuse me, but I thought gods were immortal?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Richards

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 08:49:49 pm »

How long do we have till Toady dies?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7