Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nether-cap freezing trap.  (Read 3331 times)

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nether-cap freezing trap.
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:37:47 pm »

If nether-cap wood is permanently at the freezing point of water, is it possible to make a freezing trap by making a nether-cap floor and dumping water on it?
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nether-cap freezing trap.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:50:55 pm »

You have my blessing do it in the name of !!science!!  ;D
My hypothesis is that since it has temperature only equal but not below the freezing point the environment will prevent water from freezing
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:51:56 pm »

Unfortunately, it does not appear that the constant freezing temperature of nethercaps translates into any sort of usable refrigerative techniques.

I don't know if it's been tested whether a dwarf dressed in full nethercap armor can survive being immersed in lava, but no constructions made of nethercap, at least, appear to freeze their surroundings.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 04:54:11 pm »

Aww :( Kinda had a feeling it wouldn't work though.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 05:09:28 pm »

Apparently, someone mentioned that having multiple nether-cap logs on one tile lowers the temperature of the tile geometrically, so perhaps 2, 3 or even 4 logs per tile would be suitable for a freezing trap?
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 06:16:51 pm »

Nether-caps don't work like that. :(

You can, however, use a freezing trap on a freezing biome, such as a glacier. Use magma to turn the trap from water to ice on demand. A retracted bridge below the layer of water will keep the water liquid. Pull the lever to retract the bridge, magma falls away, and you now have goblins encased in ice. You can then either dig out the ice or extend the bridge and pump the magma back up to thaw out the goblinite ore.

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 01:25:48 pm »

Would it be possible to do this using nether-cap upright spikes or something? Although if that worked, they'd be destroyed by the ice, I think.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 02:19:19 pm »

You can, however, use a freezing trap on a freezing biome, such as a glacier. Use magma to turn the trap from water to ice on demand. A retracted bridge below the layer of water will keep the water liquid. Pull the lever to retract the bridge, magma falls away, and you now have goblins encased in ice. You can then either dig out the ice or extend the bridge and pump the magma back up to thaw out the goblinite ore.
Better that he digs it out. Thawed ice will mean that the goblinite is at the bottom of Davy Jone's locker.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 03:14:13 pm »

ChairmanPoo is correct as I found with my Orcsicle maker, although it does deal with all the annoying clothing along with the armour.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 03:22:32 pm »

Better that he digs it out. Thawed ice will mean that the goblinite is at the bottom of Davy Jone's locker.
Or thaw it out for rapid reload and only actually mine it out once every few sieges.  Whatever you prefer ;)
(be sure to make a way for your dwarfs to mine it out in complete safety between waves of a siege.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 04:21:32 pm »

How deep does water need to be for it to form ice, and is it possible to iceify flaming creatures? This repeater method looks a lot simpler than my current plan of several obsidian crush corridors, less maintenance and less magma fun.