Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: Marooned: An Island Survival Game [Set-up]  (Read 25432 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marooned: An Island Survival Game [Set-up]
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:06:29 am »

A vacation took a turn for the worse, and now you're stuck with a bunch of your forum friends on a deserted island. With no idea where you are, few supplies, and no clear way to escape, you'll need to find a way to survive... though how you're going to do that is up to you to decide!

Signups are open! If you're interested in playing, put together a character sheet as detailed below.

Player List:
  • Vector
  • arcadia
  • tehstefan
  • Barbarossa the Seal God
  • Tack
  • bloodsheder
  • Neyvn
  • MaximumZero
  • Kadzar
  • Diakron
  • Argonnek
  • Aqizzar
  • Japa
  • nuker w

Game Rules and Information:
Characters:
- Each player has their own set of talents, gifts, faults, and unique stunts at their disposal, as they work and explore.
Mechanics:
- The game takes place in turns, each representing a day on the island. Challenges are resolved with planning, and a bit of luck.
Survival:
- In order to stay alive, your character needs food, water, shelter, and rest. You'll also need to avoid injury from any dangers you may encounter.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 06:19:35 pm by Solifuge »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned: An Island Survival Game [Set-up]
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 12:06:46 am »

Making a Character:
In the spirit of the game, your character is an avatar of the actual you. You don't have to reproduce your traits exactly, but try to use it as an inspiration when designing them.
  • All Talents start at [-1] Mediocre. You have 25 Ranks to spend to improve your Talents.
  • Select your character's Aspects; 1 per every 5 years of your character's age, to a maximum of 6. Gain Potentials to make up the difference to 6.
  • Decide on a Stunt for your character. The GM will provide the mechanics of the Stunt.
  • Pick roughly 10 personal items you own, and which you might wear or take along on a routine camping trip or tropical vacation. Not all items will make the trip.

Talents:
Talents are the skills your character has learned, and uses to explore and survive. The following is a partial list of Talents, along with examples of what they can be used for. If you'd like your character to have a skill that isn't included in an existing Talent, you may add it (pending GM approval).

Talent Specialties:
Some Talents, such as Linguistics or Academics, are too big to study as a whole. In these cases, you must choose a Specialty within that Talent to take ranks in, which represents your specific knowledge. You can take more than one Specialized Talent of the same type.
ex. Academics (Physics), Art (Sculpture), Linguistics (German)

Talent Ranks:
Talent Ranks represent how skilled your character is in a given Talent. All Talents start as Mediocre, and new characters are given 25 Ranks to advance them with. You may advance the rank of a Talent as high as you'd like, but in order to increase it to the next Rank, you must first have 1 additional Talent in the rank below it. Think of it as a Talent Pyramid: In order to advance a Talent to Fair, you must have at least 2 Average Talents supporting it. In order to advance a second Talent to Fair, you must have at least 3 Talents at Average, and so on. Additionally, after advancing two skills to Fair, they can then support 1 new Talent at Good.

[-4] Abysmal
[-3] Terrible
[-2] Poor
-------------
[-1] Mediocre
[+0] Average
[+1] Fair
[+2] Good
[+3] Great
-------------
[+4] Superb
[+5] Epic
[+6] Legendary

Aspects and Ability Points:
Your character's Aspects represent parts of their personality, background, or characteristics which can't be summed up with Talent Ranks. They are core parts of your character's personality, and may be the result of past experiences, habits and tendencies, or their physical nature. They can be positive or negative, and are generally short and thematic; examples include Greedy, Dutiful, Short-Tempered, Meticulous, Quick, or Self-Destructive.

Aspects are tied to age and world-experience. For every 5 years old your Character is, pick 1 Aspect, to a maximum of 6. If you have fewer than 6 Aspects, your character gains 1 Potential for each one under 6 you have. Each Potential will eventually become a new Aspect, as your character gains world experience.

Your character's Aspects can be invoked at any time, by either you or the GM. Whenever you think one would help you in a certain test or situation, you can spend an Ability Point from your pool to reroll a skill test, or add a [+1] to a roll related to the Aspect. If the GM thinks an Aspect would hinder you during a situation, or might influence you to take a less-than-ideal course of action, they can award you 1 AP for taking an action they suggest fits your Aspect. The GM can veto any use of Aspects that they don't agree is fair, and a player can counter the GM's bid by spending an equal amount of AP, if they have any in their pool. Thus, when picking Aspects, you'll want a balance of Positive ones (which grant you special advantages) and Negative ones (which award you AP to use your abilities).

Stunts:
Pick one thing your character is exceptionally good at, or a special knack they seem to have as a Stunt. Stunts are different than Aspects in that they allow your character to temporarily work outside the normal rules, and do something exceptional.  They may be something your character is well-known for, or may be a hidden skill. After choosing what your character's Stunt is, the GM will work out what your Stunt does mechanically. To perform a Stunt, you must spend 1 AP from your pool.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 06:02:14 am by Solifuge »

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 12:12:40 am »

Sure, i'm in. But how is the sheet done?..

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:21:51 am »

Tack - Tacken Armitage

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:59:58 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:23:36 am »

I'm in the other one so I'll just spectate in this one. Looks interesting.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:30:01 am »

Posting to watch.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 12:33:01 am »

In.  Warning: past Dec. 11, I may not be able to post every single day, especially on weekends.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:34:05 am »

Posting to watch. Nice little logo thing you got there too, Solifuge.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 01:07:22 am »

edit* goddamn brother......
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:09:37 am by bloodsheder »

arcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trade? No, mister elf. I expect you to die!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 01:07:59 am »

This looks interesting. Thanks for the sign-up!

Player: Arcadia
Talents:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
4 Aspects, 2 Potentials: (At age 21): Studious, Poor Short-Term Memory, Flexible, Uncoordinated
Stunts: Developed Immunity
Inventory

***Updated to the new 25 Rank system. Changed Aspects. Changed Stunts.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 06:52:22 pm by arcadia »

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 01:15:59 am »

I would like to join, I'll get my sheet up soon.

Talents

3 Aspects/ 3 potentials

Stunts

Inventory

That should be it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:41:54 pm by tehstefan »
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 01:22:38 am »

Heck, I'll join. How long could I possibly survive on two separate islands, anyway?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 01:25:13 am »

Watching.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 01:32:26 am »

My opinion exactly, Barbarossa.

Plus, we need more Good ol' aussie campers in this game.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 01:36:40 am »

Query: can we put some things lower than -1?  I know that most of my physical skills (outside of fighting  ::) ) are way lower than mediocre, and I'd like to use the skill points to boost other areas.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19