Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: Marooned: An Island Survival Game [Set-up]  (Read 25658 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Marooned: An Island Survival Game [Set-up]
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 01:43:40 am »

alright

Name: Alex

Talents
---------
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ill organize later if you want.

Aspects
---------
Quick
Short tempered
appraising
   potentials
------------
- studious
- thick skin
- bored

Stunt
---------
Alertness

Inventory

-------
combat knife
.22 survival rifle (20 rounds)
flare
pen and notebook
10x10 tarp
50ft string
Multi Hatchet (axe, hammer, crowbar)
packets of tea
mess kit
extra clothes

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 01:51:40 am »

Hell, mate. You take a rifle and Fubar on a family camping trip?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 01:53:49 am »

Righto, whatever.  This is what I'll stick with for now.

Spoiler: Talents (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aspects (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Stunts (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

I hope someone else brings something useful =/  Half my stuff is clothes, and the other half is math supplies.  Typical woman!

@bloodsheder: Would the TSA really allow you to bring that stuff on a commercial plane?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 04:46:11 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 02:01:04 am »

Query: can we put some things lower than -1?  I know that most of my physical skills (outside of fighting  ::) ) are way lower than mediocre, and I'd like to use the skill points to boost other areas.

(This goes for you too, bloodsheder.) Each difficulty class in this system is very different from another; the difference between putting pressure on a wound to stop bleeding (Mediocre Medicine talent), and performing a successful surgery to set a compound fracture (Fair Medicine talent) is only [+2].

In this case, "Mediocre" represents the mid-low end of Human capacity. The only way it goes lower ([-2] to [-4]) is if you have a debilitating condition. Instead, if you wanted you could take "Weak" as an Aspect, and it could be invoked to make things harder during some physical tests, and earn you Ability Points. I just added this to the rules post:

Difficulty Ratings for Tests:
[-2] Poor (Negligible Task): Anyone with a basic understanding and physical capabilities can do these actions, and they normally don't require a Test.
[-1] Mediocre (Simple Task): The difficulty of most routine tasks, they can normally be overcome without struggle.
[+0] Average (Mundane Task): These tasks may be a challenge to an average people, but are handled regularly by experts.
[+1] Fair (Difficult Task): These tasks pose some difficulty even for the trained. With luck or perseverance, the untrained can complete them.
[+2] Good (Daunting Task): Almost entirely out of the realm of the untrained. Noteworthy enough that they're always approached with care.
[+3] Great (Staggering Task): Even professionals balk at these. It's possible to go through life never facing a challenge of this scope.
[+4] Superb (Monumental Task): Only the best need apply. Few in the world can do this with consistency.
[+5] Epic (Near-Impossible Task): These expand the very nature of the task at hand, and successes at this level can be historic events.

EDIT: Misposted the chart... forgot Epic, and things were bumped down. Fixed now.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:11:34 am by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 02:05:45 am »

Then, uh... well, I guess my psyche might actually rate at +3 for sheer stubborn willpower, but I don't know if my math skills are up to snuff.  Let's just pretend that they are >_>;;
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 02:09:20 am »

Hell, mate. You take a rifle and Fubar on a family camping trip?
only in colorado, nice to have a .357 incase you don't want to be mountain lion food or a coyote pack's chew toy.

ok now i got a bone to pick, well thanks for clearing that up other than the fact that maybe i don't study in the area so i wouldn't know crap.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 02:12:21 am »

Ok. Here's a question. Could a person when teamed up with other people, use their skills in order to aid another in a test?

Hypothetically, could I use my acrobatics skill, to help Vector scale a tree of a certain size above her normal level?

Could a person with good tracking/animal lore tell another person to cover their scent?

Could a person who is good at construction, make other people working with them be better at construction?

And would any of these things aid in raising the lower person's skill level?
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 02:35:45 am »

When I get to how Tests and Challenges work, it'll make more sense... suffice it to say that some challenges (like building a shelter) allow you to pool the efforts and skills of many people over time. In other cases, coaching someone through a standing long-jump really won't do much to make a difference between a Mediocre jump (5'-ish) and an Average jump (10'-ish). They have to rely on personal ability.

However, over time you can be tutored by others who are more highly-trained in a Talent, and if you have enough Ability Points to spend you can advance your rank. AP are pretty much the currency of everything, and you want lots of them.

Inventory:
1. Principles of Mathematical Analysis, Third Edition (Rudin) (small, blood-stained, shabby)

Did you beat someone to death with it or something?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:41:13 am by Solifuge »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 02:43:56 am »

ok but you can't ignore the fact that someone could have no knowledge of a certain subject, for me i have no idea on how to sail yet you expect me to have some basic? like what, *Point* ITS A SAIL.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 02:44:13 am »

Inventory:
1. Principles of Mathematical Analysis, Third Edition (Rudin) (small, blood-stained, shabby)

Are you certain you wish to know the answer to that question?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 02:49:18 am »

'Basic' is relative.

A person could have 'no idea' how to sail, but someone could say 'tie that rope on the starboard rail... the left one', and they could do it.

If a person has never seen a boat in their life, or read or watched a movie involving them ever, then that would be justified, only because it would be completely alien to them.

and face it... we've all seen pirates of the Caribbean. And the first movie taught us that anyone who isn't leg shank of the boom sweep is going to be a man overboard.

... Q2. Would a person who is very proficient in mathematics have an advantage in mechanics tasks? I can't think of any other hypothetical situations here. Uh... Would a person with good woodworking be better at construction involving wood?

Also
Inventory:
I would guess she cut herself, and ceasing to read so she could go put a band-aid on seemed like too much effort.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:55:36 am by Tack »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 02:50:19 am »

Inventory:

Are you certain you wish to know the answer to that question?

Nosebleed, probably from malnutrition and dehydration.  I think it may also have the remnants of chocolate soymilk.

Linear Algebra, by Friedberg and Spence, is the one with all the tear stains.  God I hate lalgebra.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 03:00:37 am »

'Basic' is relative.

A person could have 'no idea' how to sail, but someone could say 'tie that rope on the starboard rail... the left one', and they could do it.

If a person has never seen a boat in their life, or read or watched a movie involving them ever, then that would be justified, only because it would be completely alien to them.

and face it... we've all seen pirates of the Caribbean. And the first movie taught us that anyone who isn't leg shank of the boom sweep is going to be a man overboard.

... Q2. Would a person who is very proficient in mathematics have an advantage in mechanics tasks? I can't think of any other hypothetical situations here. Uh... Would a person with good woodworking be better at construction involving wood?

well thats my point is that some talents should be alien.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 03:02:38 am »

ok but you can't ignore the fact that someone could have no knowledge of a certain subject, for me i have no idea on how to sail yet you expect me to have some basic? like what, *Point* ITS A SAIL.

Ah, another thing. Having a [-1]Mediocre Sailing talent is implying that you know what a sail and a boat are, and though you've probably never done it before, and would almost certainly fumble it a lot (and maybe even capsize!) you could figure it out given enough time and effort.

A skill at [-4]Abysmal is like my personal skill at Teleporting... EG. it is impossible. Due to the way the mechanics work, a skill at [-4] will, at best, only just barely succeed 1 out of 23,000 times. I don't know how that compares to Quantum Theory, but I don't imagine I'll be Teleporting any time soon. You'd have much better odds of fumbling your way through paddling a canoe or sailing a skiff, I imagine, even if it is a mission fraught with failure, and Titanic Reenactments.

Some Challenges will let you flub skills... for example, building a lean-to shelter could use Survival Knowledge, Woodcrafting, or Construction. Art (Interpretive Dance) or Fortitude wont, however. BTW, when you perform a skill, you don't choose what skill to use first. You just describe what you want you do, and the dice roll from there.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:06:11 am by Solifuge »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 03:04:31 am »

so you are telling me the rules can't handle it? what are you using!?!?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19