Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I WIELD THE BALOR'S FIRE! MUAHAHAHA!  (Read 6483 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
I WIELD THE BALOR'S FIRE! MUAHAHAHA!
« on: December 02, 2010, 01:54:46 am »

Re: Genesis Mod, Balor Bodyparts, and the most awesome projectile ever.
So if you can survive an encounter with a balor, and can cut off its flaming sword, you can do this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note: the sword is damned heavy. You will be slow. But when you throw it, it will melt the shit out of things.

EDIT: all balor parts are relatively heavy, but horns and tails also melt things, and the horns are only about 50 Whatevers heavy. As opposed to the sword's 750. The trick is cutting these things off without melting to death. Attacking diagonally gives you an extra tick on the gameclock to get away, as fire/smoke/etc does not propagate diagonally.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:16:09 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 02:08:10 am »

Nice. So, super heated body parts are good for hitting dodging creatures.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:14:20 am »

Nice. So, super heated body parts are good for hitting dodging creatures.

Except that it literally says "caught in balor flame", and shows a trail of fire as it moves. They're getting caught even though they dodge it. I think there's more to it than just "hot". It also does not do this kind of damage as my held weapon. In fact, when I pick it up and am also holding a shield, the game decides the shield is my primary weapon.

EDIT: also the damned thing is over 700 Whatevers heavy. Next balor I meet (argh) I am going to cut the various "ends" off of the whip. Maybe they wont melt (the whip reverted to a blob of iron), will do the same thing, and be lighter than the sword.

What we "need" is a creature with spines that do this. Then we could cut them off before killing it, and get all sorts of goodies.

NOTE: BUTCHERING A BALOR IS ONLY TO BE ATTEMPTED BY THE VERY VERY TOUGH, and throwing that stuff doesn't give the same effect anyways.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:19:32 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:22:19 am »

So are you wielding it as an unmodified creature race? Like a vanilla human or equivalent? Basically, is it completely safe to use without bursting into flames yourself?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 02:32:22 am »

So are you wielding it as an unmodified creature race? Like a vanilla human or equivalent? Basically, is it completely safe to use without bursting into flames yourself?

Well, I'm wearing steel gloves. And that hand already got the fat melted off of it whilst fighting the balor. So your mileage may vary.
I cached the horns and tail of this thing a while back (couldn't kill it at the time), so I'm trekking to pick them up (and store the bones and fat, which don't melt things).

EDIT: they do! and they only weigh 100 whatevers between the two of them!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:15:24 am by Flaede »
[/quote]

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I WIELD THE BALOR'S FIRE! MUAHAHAHA!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:52:14 am »

So butcher a giant beast for the sole purpose of being able to chuck parts of it at people to melt them...

Seems dwarfy enough...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 12:18:59 pm »

Extraordinarily dwarfy
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:26:45 pm »

So butcher a giant beast for the sole purpose of being able to chuck parts of it at people to melt them...

Seems dwarfy enough...

Except butchering doesn't work. You have to cut the bits off of it while it's still alive and fighting back. Which means you have to resist and survive the same effect you want to inflict on your enemies.
[/quote]

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 12:52:05 pm »

Seems dwarfy enough...

Except butchering doesn't work. You have to cut the bits off of it while it's still alive and fighting back. Which means you have to resist and survive the same effect you want to inflict on your enemies.
True

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 01:03:33 pm »

Yeah, But if you take the dwarven exercise plan, you're set for life.

Edit:Grammar fail
*Hugs*

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 01:26:16 pm »

Seems dwarfy enough...

I tested in arena mode and found that this will happen in any case where a creature has blood made of flame gas (such as the balor!) and the creature's body part or corpse was severed/killed with an edged weapon.

If you throw normal creature body parts, you can sometimes see a trail of liquid blood left behind on the ground.

This would also be an excellent way to spread syndromes- the blood could be made of non-flame gas.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 01:49:14 pm »

Seems dwarfy enough...

I tested in arena mode and found that this will happen in any case where a creature has blood made of flame gas (such as the balor!) and the creature's body part or corpse was severed/killed with an edged weapon.

If you throw normal creature body parts, you can sometimes see a trail of liquid blood left behind on the ground.

Good god. It's a whole new branch of dwarven Science! Gaseous bodyparts and projectiles. Thanks for doing the testing, I am horrible with managing arena mode, and it's good to know what causes the effect.

This would also be an excellent way to spread syndromes- the blood could be made of non-flame gas.

Would a severed bodypart from something like that H1N1Beast (can't remember what it's called) work?
[/quote]

vrga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 01:54:40 pm »

Seems dwarfy enough...

which is exactly what "dwarfy enough" means...
Zeocin's take on the current situation in Ardentdikes:
Otherwise known as the Release Urist Now Apocalyptic Weapon of Arse Yerking, or the R.U.N.A.W.A.Y. system.

Zephyr

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FORUM_LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 11:39:43 pm »

*pictures causing all sorts of chaos with his molten sword of fiery doom*...sick....>.> can you use that thing in melee and hack off people's body parts in bloody,flaming arcs?  :o

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 12:56:25 am »

Nope, it sucks as a melee weapon. My shield, in my off-hand gets priority over it. Great throwing weapon, though. If only I'd cut off each segment of the whip.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2