Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary Marksdwarf already?  (Read 2196 times)

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
Legendary Marksdwarf already?
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:24:54 am »

I set one of my Embark dwarves to go hunting.

It's the end of the first year and he's gone all the way up to smokin' Legendary. (He started at Level 3 - Competent) Good grief. My butcher who's been taking care of all his kills hasn't even gone beyond Novice.

Another thing to note is that I embarked on a Sand Desert with scarce trees. I noticed that some Giant Desert Scoprions was on the edge of my map. I checked the Magmawiki and it stated that they are about as lethal as the Giant Cave Spider. That they are merciless predators that do not feel pain, that do not stop.

But...
.. They're running away from my Hunter. He can stand 2-3 tiles away, they'll just run away instead of snapping my dwarf in half.

wat.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 09:32:52 am by MiniMacker »
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Marksdwarf already?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:33:16 am »

I like to send a few of my Dwarves out hunting, they gain experience very fast and it only takes a year to level them up from nothing to Master. They earn experience everytime they fire, not everytime they hit.

As for the scorpions, I once played Adventure mode [For the first time] on a friends PC when he wasn't looking. I ran into three of them and got chopped up into little pieces. My friends face made me laugh.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 05:32:21 pm »

Why aren't they whooping my Hunter's butt, but are instead running away like tiny hoary marmots!
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 05:47:49 pm »

you havent fiddled with any raws or installed some mod?

my experiences with the big scuttling freaks have always been unpleasant, sounds almost like yours have a [BENIGN] tag or something.

on the subject of hunters skill....yeah its awesome...and probably the best way to train future marksdwarves
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 06:23:35 pm »

on the subject of hunters skill....yeah its awesome...and probably the best way to train future marksdwarves

or simply not balanced atm, compared to other skill training.
i guess it gets updated in the army update arc.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 06:33:22 pm »

You gain xp from each bolt fired... Urist Imissalot soon becomes Urist Everythingisdeadnowwhatdoido.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 06:33:39 pm »

I haven't fiddled with any raws. I'm using the latest Ironhand pack.

Maybe it's because he's an Ambusher? He began at Proficient Ambushing, so perhaps he's so badass he can stay practically invisible to them, since he's shooting at range and not going too close?
Though many times he's been relatively in close proximity to the monsters, yet they haven't detected him.

Interesting note : It's now Summer, year 2. He's Legendary+3 in Marksmanship.

Derp Sandvich

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes paperclips for their attachments ಥ‿ಥ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 06:40:48 pm »

you havent fiddled with any raws or installed some mod?

my experiences with the big scuttling freaks have always been unpleasant, sounds almost like yours have a [BENIGN] tag or something.

I'm guessing his hunter dwarf probably did that himself, he didn't want MiniMacker to experience fun that early in the game yet.
"He's blind, but he was still able to find the way to the hospital, he vomits, and his lungs are going numb. So what? I don't get why you always want a diagnosis even though they're all doomed. Even a kitten can see it. He got sprayed by a monster's bodily fluids, that should be enough diagnosis. There, he has lupus. Happy? He's going to die. Like everyone else. I know it because I'm better than all of you, because I know how to use a goddamn crutch. Where the hell did you put the sunshine?" ಠ_ಠ

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 07:23:26 pm »

I don't know what the deal is with the giant scorpions. When I fought one in adventurer mode, it ripped my steel mail shirt off and beat me to death with it. So, in fort mode, when the elves showed up with tamed ones, I pounced on it and chained them up in my corridor o' death (a long, winding corridor leading into my fortress, which I leave unlocked after pulling up the drawbridges during a raid/siege). The next goblins that showed up proceeded to rip them to shreds without breaking a sweat (then get decapitated by giant serrated discs). I shoulda just butchered the damn things.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 08:44:55 pm »

Maybe it's because he's an Ambusher? He began at Proficient Ambushing, so perhaps he's so badass he can stay practically invisible to them, since he's shooting at range and not going too close?
Though many times he's been relatively in close proximity to the monsters, yet they haven't detected him.

The ambusher skill will allow the dwarf to sneak up against the enemy without getting caught, kinda like kobold thieves. The scorpians are probably wounded so they are running away.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 04:05:27 am »

The ambusher skill will allow the dwarf to sneak up against the enemy without getting caught, kinda like kobold thieves. The scorpians are probably wounded so they are running away.
They don't feel pain, so they wouldn't have turned tail and fled.

Yeah, greatest theory is that since he has a high Ambushing skill and is at moderate distance. The GDS aren't detecting him.