Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perfect Locations  (Read 1032 times)

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Perfect Locations
« on: December 03, 2010, 12:43:10 am »

We've all been through the process many times of scouring our maps for good locations to settle down, looking for that right combination of temperature, resources, etc, and then hitting embark only to find yourself in unwieldy terrain? This thread is for the times, when after all the effort you went through, you're greeted with a location that just awes you in how perfect it is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good-aligned desert, section of red sand changing into yellow with a river feeding into a lake at the top. Temperature is warm, the white spots on the map are featherwood trees, courtesy of the good alignment, and chalk boulders (there's some exposed chalk in the lower right as well). Even just looking at the map fills me with awe at how artistically the colors of the sand and water meet with each other.

Anyone else have awe-inspiring embark locations to share? 
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Locations
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 12:51:07 am »

Maybe you could upload the seed (bonus point for uploading it here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pregenerated_worlds) aswell.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:52:58 am »

Dear dwarven pioneers,

We are very sorry, but the embark you are looking for is in an another forest. Here be our farms.

Sincerely,
The Elves
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 01:05:25 am »

I can no longer find the pictures, but back in 40d I had a canyon-river with multiple waterfalls that was absolutely gorgeous. Everyone's rooms opened out onto waterfall patios. I haven't seen anything like it since.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 01:08:47 am »

Maybe you could upload the seed (bonus point for uploading it here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Pregenerated_worlds) aswell.

Problem with the seed is that I gen'd the world using the Perfect World mod so there's a ton of extra stuff on the end of the standard parameters, can't post it here as a result because it goes over the character limit. There's also the issue of some minor mods that might affect world gen, so seed wouldn't be helpful. Uploaded the save here though if you want to check it out.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 01:23:03 am »

Problem with the seed is that I gen'd the world using the Perfect World mod so there's a ton of extra stuff on the end of the standard parameters, can't post it here as a result because it goes over the character limit. There's also the issue of some minor mods that might affect world gen, so seed wouldn't be helpful. Uploaded the save here though if you want to check it out.

You can use a site like http://pastebin.ca/ to host a long text entry.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 01:37:49 am »

Ok I see that the title of the thread is "Perfect Locations"

Yet I don't see "Terrifying" or at least "Haunted" anywhere in here. Not even a volcano yet.
I am disappoint.