Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Writing/Whipping Partners  (Read 1143 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Writing/Whipping Partners
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:22:56 am »

This one goes out to all the writers out there who have trouble putting out their required amount per day.  I know I'm one of them.

The plan is pretty simple; we pick a partner (or a partner picks us) and it is that partner's responsibility to whip us until we get things done (metaphorically).  Optionally, they may also provide criticism.  I'd prefer this, but it truly depends on the writers.  For the below, you may write on any subject whatsoever.

Step 1: Select your partner/be selected.

Step 2: Agree with your partner the required amount per day/two days/three days (no more!) of words to be written.  [See caveats, below.]

Step 3: Agree on the time (and timezone!) by which updates are to be submitted to your writing partner to check and assess.

Step 4: Get your updates to your partner on time!  If it's getting close to the time and you haven't received an update, remind your partner lightly.  If it gets past the time, abuse him as much as you feel is necessary to get that update!  Bear in mind this is the entire purpose of the exercise.

Step 5 (Optional):  Provide criticisms of each other's work.  Will not always work for everyone.

Caveats

You will need to edit five times the amount of your given wordcount in first drafts to count for an update, if you dedicate solely to editing.  This is unfair - editing can take as long as writing.  Tough.

If you write a whole chapter or segment and it goes slightly over or under the word count, that's fine.  Don't stretch or cut just because you want to hit the count.

You can't (on a wordcount of, say, 2000/day) submit 3k one day and only write 1k the next.  You have to write your wordcount at minimum (or within 10% of it).  Caveat to the caveat: You can submit double or triple etc the amount if you know you aren't going to have time the day(s) after.

This all being said, I'd quite like someone to volunteer to be mine.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: Writing/Whipping Partners
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 11:38:28 am »

Yeah... I can just see it working. I've failed in collaborative projects on this forum at least 2 times. That is, I can see it going badly. In the real world collaborative writing projects usually start when the authors are already pals or even siblings.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:59:36 am »

This seems a little bit uncomfortably BDSM
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »

Dammit, I was thinking about coming in here and saying I didn't want to be anyone's whipping partner, but decided against it.

Should've taken the opportunity.

That being said, I do have some writing projects that are languishing.  Dash Gunmetal the Screenplay is still on page 8 and I can't seem to force words to come out of my brain.
Shoes...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:30:03 pm »

Clarification:  Collaboration has nothing to do with this.  You're writing whatever you want to, on your own.  This is about figuratively whipping the other person into keeping schedule and forcing them to write.

Cthulhu:  I have a story to re-write and a bunch of storystyle forum posts to do.  Feel like teaming up?
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 06:32:38 pm »

I'm...

...tempted.  I've got a story idea kicking around as an outline but I haven't written stand-alone fiction of more than two pages since grade school.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 08:15:49 am »

I'm not tempted. What's the incentive, if you've still got you own burden, but also get whipped into carrying it as an extra? Also, forums might be the worst place to do something like that. And December might be one of the worst months. I'm personally putting off all my creative obligations to myself until the New Years Eve, when nobody cares for all my other obligations, and for a few days after that. For those days, whip me into any crazy projects...

Yeah, I'm going to celebrate the New Year alone, in front of my computer, and you can go lie drunk under a Christmas tree.