Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XVIII Game Over Scum Won! Happytown is now Scumville.  (Read 38991 times)

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
Re: Beginner's Mafia XVIII Game Over Scum Won! Happytown is now Scumville.
« Reply #315 on: January 05, 2011, 09:06:07 pm »

Well, that and one of the rats was a tiny bit more experienced. If that had been my first game ever, I would've bit the dust horribly. I mean, look at me in Salad Mafia.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 06, 2011, 02:21:06 am »

I thought that poking lordnincompoop1 was hard because there was no actual pressure for most of the week, only when it reached the deadline did he crack and appear non-scummy.

Eh? Cracking is a towntell? I always thought it was the other way 'round, most of the time.

Everyone cracks under enough pressure. It's all about how they crack. I've taken note of how I crack every time.. I'd be "No, I'm not a mafia, I'm a ____!" and everyone would go "Oh, ok." It's a lot more believable if you crack as a specific role.

When town cracks, they usually show nothing. Whether you're relying on just gut instinct or analyzing it, you'd see nothing. When there's nothing, it's a good towntell. Akigagak covered up his cracks by countering with an attack on me, which made it hazy to tell whether he was really town or scum covering up as town.

When scum crack, they've got nothing but scum underneath the shell. They'll quickly try to cover up the crack with townieness, and that results in an inconsistent story. Or they cover it by becoming batshit insane (like Zrk) or more aggressive because they don't have any facts to cover up for themselves. It's really hard to play as scum, because lying is very difficult for everyone. The best that scum can do is to make up a back story to fall back on to when they crack. My favorite tactic when playing scum is to have whoever is under too much pressure to pretend to be a cop/doctor, when they get cornered, they'll get in a fight with the real cop/doctor for the roleblocker to hone in on.

Personally, I find these beginner mafia games the hardest because there's so many plain roles. A scum could very easily act as a town. In other games where you've got like 5 power roles, 3 scum, 3 town, all the scum would pretend to be town (not power roles), and you can pick everyone off by simply targeting the town guys. In beginner mafia, there's mostly town, and the scum can very easily act as one. I'd actually like to see a BM with pros, and see if it fares better than with beginners.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 06, 2011, 09:11:10 am »

Muz:  Look for games here called (Near) Mountainous.  Mountainous games are run with zero power roles but are open to any level of experience.  Near Mountainous just has very few roles, all standard.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 06, 2011, 05:38:53 pm »

THat sounds interesting.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 06, 2011, 05:41:51 pm »

I'd play a "pro" reunion round of near-mountainous if it ran over ... next summer or something.  I still need a rather long break from this, but I'd love to play a game or two in the distant future.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]