Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: NASA found new life forms. Oh shi--  (Read 7508 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
NASA found new life forms. Oh shi--
« on: December 02, 2010, 06:39:07 pm »

First off:  It is ON EARTH.  But they are made of stuff we have NEVER seen in life before, and it completely redefines what we are looking for elsewhere.

All previously known life on earth is primarily made up of:   
Carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus, sulfur

This new stuff is made up of:
Carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, ARSENIC, sulfur

...Phosphorous is used in the DNA of all known life forms.  These guys' DNA is different.  Oh yeah, and arsenic is toxic, so don't eat it.

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NASA found new life forms. Oh shi--
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:41:29 pm »

I really don't see what is so exciting. We knew out DNA was only one set of a possible configuration.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 06:42:56 pm »

I really don't see what is so exciting. We knew out DNA was only one set of a possible configuration.
Yes, but it's the only one we've ever seen in the entire history of biology everywhere in the world to date.  This is a new one.  So...Yeah.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 06:44:33 pm »

This is intresting, Perhaps there could be things on mars that use a diffrent building blocks. Also on a side note, There immune to arsenic, One would assume.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 06:45:29 pm »

I know that the existance of arsenic-using life has been suspected for at least the past two years, so this isn't all that suprising. I wonder if religious groups will have a bad reaction to this? (Get it? It's a pun on chemical rea-Oh, never mind.)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 06:47:22 pm »

I thought we knew of some dead things that used a C in place of something.

There immune to arsenic, One would assume.

We are not immune to phosphorus, so not a given.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 06:47:42 pm »

Sweet, I saw this mentioned on the news today, but I couldn't stick around to hear the story.  Fascinating stuff, I've always been interested in the idea of lifeforms that operate on a completely different kind of chemistry.

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

NASA's geobiologist Pamela Conrad thinks that the discovery is huge and "phenomenal," comparing it to the Star Trek episode in which the Enterprise crew finds Horta, a silicon-based alien life form that can't be detected with tricorders because it wasn't carbon-based.

Wait... "Pamela"?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »

I know that the existance of arsenic-using life has been suspected for at least the past two years, so this isn't all that suprising. I wonder if religious groups will have a bad reaction to this? (Get it? It's a pun on chemical rea-Oh, never mind.)
God's one step ahead of us. He's throwing us a curveball to keep the truth hidden.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 06:50:24 pm »

Also: Phosphorus and Arsenic are really quite close. If this was a bigger change (Outside of a group) I would be more surprised.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 06:51:19 pm »

Also: Phosphorus and Arsenic are really quite close. If this was a bigger change (Outside of a group) I would be more surprised.
How about those tube worms living off the heat and gas from the oceanic faults? You probably know more about it than I.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 06:57:00 pm »

Wasn't there a big todo about the theory of silica based lifeforms, and the scientific community rejecting it since silica wasn't one of the building blocks?

I mean, if arsenic can be incorporated into DNA, then it stands to reason almost any configuration is possible.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:00:27 pm »

Wooo! Let's start looking for any sort of planet with an atmosphere now.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 07:04:13 pm »

I mean, if arsenic can be incorporated into DNA, then it stands to reason almost any configuration is possible.
Perhaps, but don't get caught up in the "Big Scary Arsenic Poison" aspect of this. It's a valid chemical, just not for humans.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 07:05:17 pm »

How about those tube worms living off the heat and gas from the oceanic faults? You probably know more about it than I.

First: Lies, any knowledge I seem to have is just a well made fake on my part. Second, I don't think they are radical different. Hell, they don't even eat the (what ever comes out, maybe sulfur?) it is their gut flora. I don't think they are as remarkable as this new thing they found here.

Ahhh... Phosphorus and Arsenic are really quite close.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 07:14:10 pm »

Dammit Black Mesa! We already have enough troubles with the creatures in this dimension. Stop summoning more bizzare things over here. Where's my crowbar, or where the hell is XCOM?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5