Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: NASA found new life forms. Oh shi--  (Read 7504 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: NASA found new life forms. Oh shi--
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 05:43:25 pm »

I don't know if that'll work. You might end up with a molecule that tends to revert into gaseous nitrogen (with predictably hilarious results), as that tends to happen when you put a lot of nitrogen atoms close to each other. Also, coercing nitrate to even form dimers is quite difficult, while phosphate will happily polymerize up into the thousands of units, meaning that chaining 3 of them together is easy as pie.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:50:31 pm by Virex »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 05:51:14 pm »

Oh.

That makes me sad.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 05:55:12 pm »

Yeah. Nitrogen has this pesky urge to become nitrogen gas. When it does, bad things happen:

An early favorite has appeared in my “most alarming chemical papers” file for this year. Thomas Klapoetke and Joerg Stierstorfer from Munich have published one with a simple title that might not sound unusual to people outside the field, but has made every chemist I’ve shown it to point like a bird dog: “The CN7 Anion”. The reason that one gets our attention is that compounds with lots of nitrogens in them – more specifically, compounds with a high percentage of nitrogen by weight – are a spirited bunch. They hear the distant call of the wild, and they know that with just one leap of the fence they can fly free as molecules of nitrogen gas. And that’s never an orderly process. If my presumably distant cousin Nick Lowe does indeed love the sound of breaking glass, then these are his kinds of compounds. A more accurate song title for these latest creations would be “I Love the Sound Of Shrapnel Bouncing Off My Welder’s Mask”, but that sort of breaks up the rhythm.

From here.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:58:31 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2010, 05:56:05 pm »

As I recall, Nitrogen bonds are also a key component to explosives, but I don't know enough about biochemestry to know if this means exploding bacteria.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2010, 05:56:57 pm »

I don't think exploding bacteria would evolve pretty well :P
Anyway, changing Bacteria so they nitrate glycerin would be interesting...

This reminds me of something else that has to do with swapping out one element for another:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strontium#Effect_on_the_human_body
Basically, the human body will happily use strontium instead of calcium to grow new bone tissue. I don't think anyone has ever tried to find out if it also makes a difference to the nerve system (nerves use calcium as part of the signal transmission process)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:58:51 pm by Virex »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 06:01:07 pm »

Strontium man, strontium man
Strontium man hates calcium man
They have a fight
Strontium wins
Strontium man
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2010, 07:46:36 pm »

Guys, I just realized something. These bacteria are teeny-tiny pirates!

Arrrrsenic

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2010, 10:58:13 pm »

Guys, I just realized something. These bacteria are teeny-tiny pirates!

Arrrrsenic

^This

:D
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Ø

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 01:05:58 am »

Saw a few articles saying it was a second Abiogenesis, but that's really REALLY unlikely. If it were second abiogenesis, THEN I'd be extremely excited, but Occam's razor says constant arsenic exposure led to this.

I can imagine a romance novel of forbidden love between an arsenic based woman and phosphate based man. Shortest Romeo and Juliet ever.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2010, 11:24:58 am »

Mars would have had lifeforms similar to earth's based on its composition.

There is a hypothesis that Mars lifeforms (if they ever existed, we haven't found them yet and haven't been able to look in every possible place. Rovers can only dig so deep) have peroxide based chemistry. They could still be carbon based, its the chemistry that was hypothesized to be based on peroxides or something.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2010, 11:36:12 am »

There is a hypothesis that Mars lifeforms (if they ever existed, we haven't found them yet and haven't been able to look in every possible place. Rovers can only dig so deep) have peroxide based chemistry. They could still be carbon based, its the chemistry that was hypothesized to be based on peroxides or something.

Wow, i need ot find that article. Peroxide is a powerfull oxydant, and really oxydation is normally one of the worst enemy of new life.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2010, 11:46:41 am »

Wow, i need ot find that article. Peroxide is a powerfull oxydant, and really oxydation is normally one of the worst enemy of new life.

I don't remember for sure if it was peroxide or something similar, but there was something about life on mars being based on something. I'm trying to find the article as well, but all I'm finding atm is stuff about hydrogen peroxide killing life on the surface of mars.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2010, 11:55:26 am »

Would make more sense really. Especially since killing bacteria is what's Peroxide normally used for.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2010, 12:28:59 pm »

Found the paper he was referring to.  Here's another one.  It seems that the main use for hydrogen peroxide would be as a combination antifreeze and water absorber.  It IS admitted in the articles that this is basically wild speculation; the main discussion is how to possibly detect the microbes if they are indeed using this (since heating them up would cause the hydrogen peroxide to violently oxidize the rest of their organic molecules). 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:30:41 pm by Shinziril »
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2010, 12:37:50 pm »

While I wasn't thinking of those articles per se, the peroxide-water thing is what I was referring to.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5