Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Constructing my first well reservoir, need help  (Read 10526 times)

krescent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constructing my first well reservoir, need help
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 03:57:46 am »

i think i know what's wrong....

i never actually cleared the levels of the cistern, just built a bunch of staircases downwards---could that be it? it's still full of water, but maybe since the level under the first is a stairway instead of open space, the well doesn't register it...

This is exactly what's wrong.  A bucket on a rope isn't going to navigate down an underwater staircase.  I sure hope you remembered to install a draining system...

i did indeed, that is now also connected to a magma drain for obsidian farming :)  although the map is full of it anyway....

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 08:42:09 am »

you know, my well is about 10 levels deep, and after the water on the TOP level got down to about 3/7 my dwarves were cancelling their drink orders because the 'well is dry'.

not sure what's up with that, anyone know?
I tried to fill a 20+ z-level straight-down channelled hole with water. This was in 31.18. It only filled part way so I checked, and there never got to be more than 10-z-levels of water. Ever. No matter how much I poured in. Can anyone else verify this "10 levels deep" limit?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:51:06 am by Reelyanoob »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 01:39:12 pm »

That's probably because that's all the deeper the original water went. You'd have to use pumps to push it higher. See Wiki on Pressure.

Me, I use a 5 cell system. Five 5x5x2 cells, each with a single piece of floor left on the upper level, with a pressure plate on it. That controls a flood gate on the opposite side on the bottom level. Each plate controls the one prior to it, and can automatically shut off the flow into the cell.

This is particularly useful on maps without large sources of water. Then what water does exist can be safely hoarded underground. Especially helpful if you're trying to farm Obsidian, or have a fort a significant distance from water.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 01:49:57 pm »

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but here's a very Dwarfy way of getting an "underground", refilling pool:

1. Drop a murky pool underground.
 1.1 Channel out all the tiles around the pool
 1.2 Dig away anything under it, but place a support to keep it up
 1.3 Link support to lever
 1.4 Assign everyone to burrows
 1.5 Pull lever
2. It's done :)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 08:01:09 pm »

But, if you leave the murky pool floor where it is, and just channel away all the ground around it, you will get new water every time it rains. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 09:14:57 pm »

That's probably because that's all the deeper the original water went. You'd have to use pumps to push it higher. See Wiki on Pressure.
Wierd, this was river water with all the floodgates opened, and it was draining to the underground via pure gravity, so it was nowhere near the original level. I know all about pressure and i thought it should have taken it up to the (original water source) ground-level, but it didn't, there were no diagonal 'kinks' or anything either which would have cut off pressure.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:17:34 pm by Reelyanoob »
Pages: 1 [2]