Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gold BOOM!  (Read 8035 times)

Dalus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Gold BOOM!
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:13:38 am »

Okay, so I'm kinda new to DF, but, I'm getting better!
Anyway though, I just started a new embark when I noticed something odd, there was gold near the surface. I look around, there's TONS of the stuff all around. Lots of trees for fuel right off the bat, plants to pick for outside farm while I wait till miners make enough room for the dwarfs and the underground farm... only one thing wrong, I forgot to get a farmer and brewer... Opps

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: Gold BOOM!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:22:37 am »

You can enable the farming and brewing labors on someone and they will do the work, they will just do it slowly and at minimum quality.

Sometimes I get forts with tons of iron and copper, sometimes with lots of gold and silver.... I was lucky this time and got both  :D
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 12:39:19 am »

I have a fort with over 9k silver ore, just from a single 43x43 vertical shaft and some excess rooms
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 01:52:45 am »

Check out DFFD:  it seems like embarks with tons of resources aren't that rare any more.  I know that I put one up where there was more gold than microline (!?!).

It's still a little bit hard to find a decent embark with trees/sand/flux/etc., but mostly it just takes a little bit of wandering around the map these days.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 01:58:25 am »

Honestly, I only need iron and tress/bituminous coal/lignite/magma to be satisfied with an embark. A river would be a bonus.
 Gold though, I tend to skip it until I find platinum. If my embark has no platinum, 50% of the time I'll forget the gold. Silver, though, I like just because of how it looks in real life and because of symbolical value. I also make electrum when I can.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 03:03:27 am »

On a previous embark I had so much gold that I didn't know what to do with it.  I made a massive grand dining room with electrum tables and chairs, lined the walls of every room with golden statues, studded gold into everything that could take it and plated my nobles' floors with electrum.  I hadn't even dug any mining shafts yet!
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 03:47:28 am »

Okay, so I'm kinda new to DF, but, I'm getting better!
Anyway though, I just started a new embark when I noticed something odd, there was gold near the surface. I look around, there's TONS of the stuff all around. Lots of trees for fuel right off the bat

Gold + trees + metalcrafting = no problems stocking up on booze, cloth, wood, or food from the first few caravans.

My fort now has about 90z levels of granite, and its stuffed with cassiterite.  I usually use billion for barrels and bins as my go-to cheap furniture source, but since i have so much cassiterite and relatively less copper, I've been making all my cheap stuff out of fine pewter.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 05:06:10 am »

Give me a vein of bituminous coal and a layer of sand and I'll die a happy Armok.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 05:26:42 am »

Give me a vein of bituminous coal and a layer of sand and I'll die a happy Armok.

Ok, you have your coal, and your sand, HOWEVER! You will need to dig through TWENTY SEVEN LAYERS of aquifer to get to them, and you only have one level above that for cave ins, and the biome never freezes.

Have fun with your sand and coal... MUHAHAHAHAHA!

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 05:58:21 am »

Ok, you have your coal, and your sand, HOWEVER! You will need to dig through TWENTY SEVEN LAYERS of aquifer to get to them, and you only have one level above that for cave ins, and the biome never freezes.

A man would see that as a difficult challenge.

An elf would see that and despair.

A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 06:42:44 am »

A man would see that as a difficult challenge.

An elf would see that and despair.

A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Awesome true.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 07:29:29 am »

Given that I have yet to discover an aquifer that covers the entire 2x2 embark zone instead of just some patches of it, I'd be even happier with this aquifer on my map with bituminous coal and the sand. Aquifers are awesome, anyway.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

AlBravo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 08:15:00 am »

On my very first embark I found mountains covered in surface gold, silver, aluminum and gems.  I thought "this is easy".  In the first year I even  got down to adamantine which was my immediate downfall.  I haven't seen anything like that in the next 6 embarks. 
Ancient Avatar

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 08:19:29 am »

wait untill you find a perfekt embark location wise without anyflux few hematite  and gold and masses of galena  :)

or any metals at all .. happens too

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 08:41:40 pm »

Bituminous coal+heavily forested+sand+river+iron+flux+warm-aquifers= dies of happiness.
Pages: [1] 2