Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gold BOOM!  (Read 8038 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gold BOOM!
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 08:56:40 pm »

River + Mountain + Flux + Sedimentary = I die happy.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 09:18:19 pm »

Give me a vein of bituminous coal and a layer of sand and I'll die a happy Armok.

Ok, you have your coal, and your sand, HOWEVER! You will need to dig through TWENTY SEVEN LAYERS of aquifer to get to them, and you only have one level above that for cave ins, and the biome never freezes.

Have fun with your sand and coal... MUHAHAHAHAHA!

A man would see that as a difficult challenge.

An elf would see that and despair.

A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."
Aquifiers provide for excellent water wheels, allowing the use of automated pumps.  From here, dig a large square hole in the aquifier, ring it with pumps, and pump water back into aquifier pits to dispose of it without flooding anything.  Once the central hole is drained or mostly drained, leave a 1-tile wide causeway around the outside rim, and pump water from the floor beneath into this rim.  Build a sealable tower penetrating the entire mess in one corer of the put.  Once you've penetrated the 27-layer aquifier, depower the pumps and allow water to once again fill the layers, resulting in a large lake that can be drained on command and an access tower rising from one side of it.

Best.  Embark.  Ever.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 05:55:59 pm »

A man would see that as a difficult challenge.

An elf would see that and despair.

A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

A dwarf would see that, throw his socks on the ground, and go for a drink.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 06:07:55 pm »

I saw the title and though someone had managed to invent and weaponize explosive gold. Darn it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 04:35:39 am »

Once had an embark that, according to dfprospector, had 20k platinum, 20k raw adamantine and 340k native gold. (Also, some 60k malachite and ~400k cassiterite).

No magnetite though, only a few bits of hematite and limonite. Took me so long to get my military equiped that I got ruined on the first siege. And now  I can't reclaim it because there's three FB's roaming the empty halls.

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 05:26:13 am »

My current embark (5x5):
NATIVE_GOLD : 365836
TETRAHEDRITE : 534785
BLACK ZIRCON : 124908
CASSITERITE : 35748
NATIVE_SILVER : 31796
MAGNETITE : 18454
COAL_BITUMINOUS : 14006
RAW_ADAMANTINE : 13165
Heavily forested, thick vegetation, temperate, sand, marble, no river, no clown fortress.
I was regening worlds for six days to find my perfect spot.
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 11:52:41 am »

Holy cow, how did you get those numbers? I play on 4x4 and usually get around a tenth of it.

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »

I thought I was special with a legit 4x4 with 197k gold...  in veins...

Feat destroyed by double :P

godisdead132

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven B.L.T. Beer Liquor and Tantrums
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 09:29:30 pm »

I saw the title and though someone had managed to invent and weaponize explosive gold. Darn it.

gold fulminate
may your lånem nentuk & zodost i hope your rÜsh is dezrem & serkib
1. Start DF
2. Mainline Whiskey untill it all makes sense (even dwarven behavior)
3. Pass Out.

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 05:57:26 am »

Holy cow, how did you get those numbers? I play on 4x4 and usually get around a tenth of it.

1. Gabbro. Lots and lots of gabbro. Also, granite.
2. My maps a HIGH. I like it this way. I have ~ 150 z-levels from  the ground to the magma lake, ~ 100 z-levels from ground to the mountain top, and ~ 50 z-levels of empty space on top of it all.
3. I was regening worlds for SIX DAYS. I tried more then hundred embarks in two dozen different worlds. I'm a little bit picky about choosing embark spot.
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2010, 09:56:11 am »

~ 50 z-levels of empty space on top of it all.
How you generated this? My DF is failing to create anything after altering this parameter (10 000 rejected worlds due to lack of mountains)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2010, 10:20:40 am »

[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:50]
AFAIK this should not cause any problems (aside from fps drop). Are you sure rejections don't caused by something else? ELEVATION and REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS a most likely suspects.
Also, try Perfect World. It really awesome.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 12:42:28 pm »

Hmm, I started advanced world generations, changed value for levels above (ONLY) (to sth else), end:
Code: [Select]
The Absolute Planets, region1: Not enough peaks: 0<12x10 000

DF is generating sth completely flat.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 [2]