Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Battleships Forever: It still lives. Again.  (Read 13837 times)

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
Battleships Forever: It still lives. Again.
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:39:51 pm »

Such dead threads include the closest thing to a general BSF topic on the forum from what I can tell.
Anyways!
http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php
Battleships Forever (BSF) is a fairly interesting game that I will inevitably describe horribly.
Basically, you control spaceships. And try to kill other spaceships.
Simple, right?
Wrong.
The game features the ability to create your own ships, maps and encounters from dozens of parts, weapons, modules, and decorations. Plus, there's a huge community, who have done such things and who you can show your creations off to.

You can also play around with ships and terrain in Sandbox, or set up a mission with a goal in an Encounter. Then you can play one.
Also, there's a campaign, and some default game modes.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:14:29 am by Twi »

Decimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd like this game more if multiplayer battles with custom ships were actually viable.  As it was last time I played it, creating a ship that could be killed required purposely crippling your design.
Quote from: Duke 2.0
Urist McMood: Must have... Glass!
 Kogan McHauler: We were able to get a few pieces from some encrusted trinkets. Hopefully, thats al-Oh CRAP we don't have any fuel!
 Urist McMood: That won't be a problem...
 *Starts bending metal with his bare hands*

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I'd like this game more if multiplayer battles with custom ships were actually viable.  As it was last time I played it, creating a ship that could be killed required purposely crippling your design.
They say it's in the works. I can't blame them: multiplayer could be tricky.
As for the latter, well, balance is relative. Trying to shield flaws or weak points from enemy attack can be more fun than having an unstoppable ship sometimes, anyways.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 12:48:58 pm by Twi »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I figure there could be a point cost for each piece based on its size and stats(larger pieces would be easier to hit, thus cheaper), and prevent Aegis Deflectors(which ought to have a really high point cost) from connecting to the core. Game setup could set the limit of points used to build their fleet But that wouldn't neccessarily prevent someone from making an invincible ship, so it's not a fix-all solution.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I figure there could be a point cost for each piece based on its size and stats(larger pieces would be easier to hit, thus cheaper), and prevent Aegis Deflectors(which ought to have a really high point cost) from connecting to the core. Game setup could set the limit of points used to build their fleet But that wouldn't neccessarily prevent someone from making an invincible ship, so it's not a fix-all solution.
Ideally, people wouldn't make invincible ships for use in multiplayer... Besides, Aegis fields don't block explosions.
Still, I really can't see ANYTHING totally preventing people from making invincible ships, so...
Oh wait.
Ships don't collide, and the core can't be targeted with Aegis already.
Nevermind.
EDIT: At some point, I'm going to post shiny pics...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 01:51:17 pm by Twi »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First I designed invincible ships, and then I designed ships that could destroy them.

Of course by that point it was completely unbalanced, so...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I always try to design some flaw in my ships so they aren't completely unkillable. Like the first ship I had probably had more firepower than all battleships combined, but if you destroyed a certain section of it about half the ship would fall apart.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

First I designed invincible ships, and then I designed ships that could destroy them.

Of course by that point it was completely unbalanced, so...
So what? You had fun! :D
Right?
I always try to design some flaw in my ships so they aren't completely unkillable. Like the first ship I had probably had more firepower than all battleships combined, but if you destroyed a certain section of it about half the ship would fall apart.
Show me this ship. There are some HUGE ships out there.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I lost the ship blueprint because of a serious hard drive error that forced me to get a new one, but it was about as big as the Levithan. That little piece? It was a single piece in the very center of the ship.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I lost the ship blueprint because of a serious hard drive error that forced me to get a new one, but it was about as big as the Levithan. That little piece? It was a single piece in the very center of the ship.
Okay, then, there are quite a few ships larger than that thing- check out the forums.
Firepower, however, is debatable...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:12:01 pm by Twi »

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile

I've done some ships in this game:
Geimher v2
Spoiler: Some images (click to show/hide)
Also: Three designs for a cancelled tournament.

Note that the designs were made with my colorscheme, which is different from the current default colorscheme.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I see that someone else likes symmetry.
Now then, I seriously need to get something of stuff getting nuked by my overpowered ships.
Or at least, the ones that are actually overpowered: mainly because of souped-up weapons.
Now then... At some point, I will edit pictures into this post.

EDIT #1:
Behold, one of the few ships I didn't post in the RPLP thread. I call it the Grim Angel.
(Yay, Riviera references.)

Designed to be a small, balanced long-range scout ship. The ship deployer deploys Mining Drones.

They have mining beams on them. Not much to say here.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:43:20 pm by Twi »

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleships Forever: What do you mean it's on the second page?
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 11:47:30 am »

Excalibur Class Battleship

Joyeuse Class Destroyer

Shortsword Class Frigate

Just a few ships I've put together in my spare time, using custom sprite packs and somesuch. They're all balanced against each other. The shields on the Excalibur can be negated by railgun and sabot shots for example, if the deflectors are down.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:49:29 am by Bien »

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 01:53:01 pm »

Hot damn, where'd you get those sprites from? They look awesome.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 03:27:08 pm »

I've downloaded it and am trying out the ship builder,  does anybody have any idea what is causing the controls there to be incredibly sluggish? I'm having trouble simply moving stuff around because it either isn't detecting me dragging it, moving only in 1 axis, jumping far away from a tiny movement and changing speed halfway.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: [1] 2 3 4