Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On Hamachi and limts.  (Read 3627 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
On Hamachi and limts.
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:27:30 pm »

So, I was seeing what I had open on hamachi, and noticed that theres now a limit of 8 to how many people you can have in a room now, though it doesn't seem to have affected rooms that were already bigger. Does this make hamachi better or worse for games now?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ardesh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Hamachi and limts.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:47:21 am »

doesnt matter.. you can route it ;)

edit: or you just set up a proper vpn :D

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »

For whatever reason, I was never able to get Hamachi to work for me and a friend of mine.  We installed Tunngle and it worked like a charm.

What's the benefit to using Hamachi over something like Tunngle?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 12:11:57 pm »

Speaking of which, can anyone explain to me why people use VPN software so often to play games over the internet? If a game supports connecting to an IP address or domain via TCP/IP, then why bother unless someone can't forward the ports they need to (or something like that)?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

RaySmuckles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »

Speaking of which, can anyone explain to me why people use VPN software so often to play games over the internet? If a game supports connecting to an IP address or domain via TCP/IP, then why bother unless someone can't forward the ports they need to (or something like that)?

Because people don't know how/don't have access to open the appropriate ports to host games and stuff, so it's easier for then to just join Hamachi click 'LAN'.

Alternatively, it's because some of the software they play with they obtained on the high seas, and won't connect to the online services - only LAN.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:14:47 pm »

Port forwarding can be hard if you don't know how or if you have a contradictory set up.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 12:18:28 pm »

In my case, it was with Magicka.  Neither the steam servers nor the direct IP connection would work for whatever reason (probably a port forwarding issue...  we could both see and join the same games that were hosted through steam, but we couldn't play in a game of our own).  After installing Tunngle it worked immediately.  Basically, it was easier to install than trying to explain port forwarding to my friend. 

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 12:32:44 pm »

Some ISPs are dicks, also.  My old DSL provider made it hard to set up a static IP and it was easier to just use Hamachi, which sucks because Hamachi is terrible.
Shoes...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 12:34:12 pm »

All fair responses!

Some ISPs are dicks, also.  My old DSL provider made it hard to set up a static IP and it was easier to just use Hamachi, which sucks because Hamachi is terrible.

Yeah, beyond simply being dynamic, don't most DSL providers change your IP address very regularly? I suppose you could use a dynamic DNS account somewhere, although that requires either client software on your computer to update the account, or router firmware that can do the same.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 12:38:30 pm »

What's the benefit to using Hamachi over something like Tunngle?
More people have it. Thats pretty much it as far as I know.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 03:33:37 pm »

All fair responses!

Yeah, beyond simply being dynamic, don't most DSL providers change your IP address very regularly? I suppose you could use a dynamic DNS account somewhere, although that requires either client software on your computer to update the account, or router firmware that can do the same.

I have one o' them free DNS things for server hosting, and it works fine without me ever downloading anything to my knowledge. I think it works based on blacke magicks.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 08:15:56 pm »

I don't really see how that's possible, since when your IP address changes, the service itself won't even be able to contact your computer anymore. It's entirely possible your IP address just hasn't changed yet; with my ISP (Cox cable internet), it changes extremely rarely.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 09:28:02 am »

I get a new ip address each time I connect to the internet, and I just tell my current one to my friends whenever I host anything.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 10:05:25 am »

That would be terrible for hosting anything regularly, amjh. Mine only changes every so often.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 09:48:02 pm »

Mine only changes when I deliberately reboot the DSL modem (once a year or so) or the house loses power (several times this winter).  If I put the wiring closet on a UPS, my IP would be pretty damn stable.