Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making an emprire-building PBP game  (Read 898 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making an emprire-building PBP game
« on: February 14, 2012, 09:34:56 pm »

Those of you who frequent the Play with your Buddies subforum may recognize the name Age of Restoration. It's a turn-based empire-building game I came up with and ran a couple years ago. There have been several games following the basic pattern I came up with; the discussion thread for the most recent can be found here. It tends to die out after a while, or sometimes after not so long a while, simply because it's a lot of work all around, especially for the moderator. One attempt never finished turn 2.
The obvious solution is to computerize it, and that's... kind of what I've been doing. The game I've been making borrows heavily from AoR, but a lot of it is changed, as well. I'm building it in Flash, and to accommodate running remotely, it's set up to save to XML strings which can be copied and pasted into the game. Currently, the administrator interface is nearly complete, and can load, save, and edit game states. Check out the current build here! You'll need a saved game, of course; you can use this one, which is apparently over the character limit for a post. Just copy everything there, and paste it into the window that appears when you first open the game.
What I need to do now is: 1) Set up the player interface, and have it save turn actions in a different XML format, 2) Set up the administrator interface to load turn orders, and add a "run turn" button, and 3) fill in the units, buildings, resources, etc.
Then debugging. Lots of debugging.
If anyone finds bugs, please let me know!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:38:43 pm by Vanigo »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Making an emprire-building PBP game
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:30:58 pm »

First thing's first: Am I correct in assuming that as of this moment, the er... application has the following functions:
editing tiles.
moving armies
and does not have:
any way to change map size
any kind of processing logic

List of possible bugs:
You can build cities on water.
You can build mines and farms on city tiles OR it's hard to see mines and farms built on metropolis tiles (when I say 'mines and farms', I mean it affects both, not that you can build both)
you can build mines and farms on water.
you can add resources iron and bonus food to water tiles.
you can't build roads and rivers on water tiles (this isn't a bug), but if you already have roads rivers, or both, they will remain in the water tile (until you remove them, which you can)
you can move armies on water (this probably isn't a bug yet, but once navies are in, there should be a check for appropriate terrain)
cities above pop 6 are referred as "undefined of [nation]" but have metropolis icon.
It is impossible to remove a smithy from a city.
* it is impossible to remove library, unless city has under 3 pop.
* you can always remove engineer's guild.
It is possible to build building for which requirements (pop or building) are not met.
lowering a cities pop to unsupporting levels will (upon saving) remove the library, but not the smithy or the engineer's guild.
* rebuilding the library (see above) and saving without lowering pop has no effect.

* library disappears if an attempt is made to destroy it (see above) and the pop is lowered.
pop 0 cities exist (called wilderness) which generate -1 money.
only spearmen unit can build built, even if the tile (city) supports swordsmen.

Hope this helps
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making an emprire-building PBP game
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:46:09 pm »

Thorough. Thanks.
The lack of swordsmen isn't a bug, though; I just haven't put them in. Or for that matter, added any way for units to be made other than the administrator slapping them down ex nihilo.