Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Pathologic. Obscure Russian Indie Horror Game. Remake on Kickstarter  (Read 20620 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Pathologic. Obscure Russian Indie Horror Game
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »

Its not so much that there's a disease going on, more like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2014, 08:50:38 pm »

I just have a general different feeling about the overall atmosphere of the game.

There is just something fallacious about it. Something more going on... and the "lack of things" to me always felt more intentional.

Never beat the game and never spoiled the ending... so if the "medicine" was fake >_> I never got to that part. MIND YOU the different characters do seem to have a different journey.

As for what you are talking about TempAcc it is part of the metaphor. Speak to the people and the families and their relationships with each other and you will see that the city is indeed diseased... but not with an illness so to speak. :P

Mind you everything is typical political maneuvering (along with other things) but that is kind of the point.

Its dramatic irony I believe it is called.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:56:43 pm by Neonivek »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2014, 07:39:12 am »

Coming back to the question:

Would this game stand up if any of you had lived through a epidemic?

Well?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:08 am »

Not completely sure what you mean by "stand up".

Would a video game have the same or near emotional impact as living through a devastating spread of infectious disease in a community?
No.

Is it completely realistic in its depiction of disease, panic and their effect on communities?
No

Would the game be worse/better if I lived through some kind of epidemic?
I can't answer that not living through one. I can say that the major flaws are mostly to do with controls, translation and gameplay rather than the plague representation. I don't see those flaws changing in anyway even if I lived through an epidemic or twelve world wars.

Is it still a very interesting yet highly flawed game?
Yes.

If you think the subject matter may "trigger" some aggressively negative emotions than I would suggest you skip it or any other games like it. It does handle the matter is a largely respectful manner however if that's what you're most concerned about.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:25:22 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2014, 10:16:47 am »

*snipped*

Would the game be worse/better if I lived through some kind of epidemic?
I can't answer that not living through one. I can say that the major flaws are mostly to do with controls, translation and gameplay rather than the plague representation. I don't see those flaws changing in anyway even if I lived through an epidemic or twelve world wars.

Is it still a very interesting yet highly flawed game?
Yes.

It does handle the matter is a largely respectful manner however if that's what you're most concerned about.

Pretty much what i was after.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2014, 10:35:58 am »

The gameplay flaws are completely bearable imo, if they just fix the bugs and remake the translation (into a better one, hopefuly) I think it should be fine. I quit playing it after my save got corrupt at the abbatoir place thing, and I never even found a full lets play of it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2014, 11:09:21 am »

Kickstarter is live.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic

The Pledge Goal seems about on par for most successful games that want to do a visual reboot.

Surprised at the lowest pledge amount. $20? Why not put in a $5 "Just because you want to help" option? Strange.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2014, 11:25:15 am »

I'm going to hold off for now.  Mostly because while I respect the original for what it was, it was really hard to actually play.  "Fight for survival" is really frakking annoying when death means "reload from last save."  If it's only going to be a graphical/auditory improvement, then I'm fine with not getting a copy at a slight discount.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2014, 11:27:41 am »

This is the best of news.  News Of The Year.

I'm going to hold off for now.  Mostly because while I respect the original for what it was, it was really hard to actually play.  "Fight for survival" is really frakking annoying when death means "reload from last save."  If it's only going to be a graphical/auditory improvement, then I'm fine with not getting a copy at a slight discount.

Try reading the page, it explains in great details that it isn't simply a graphical update.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2014, 12:05:08 pm »

Try reading the page, it explains in great details that it isn't simply a graphical update.

Maybe later :P
I was skimming it at work and like I said, a $5 discount at this stage is not much of an incentive.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2014, 12:11:01 pm »

Huh, I never thought the haruspex was a practicing surgeon, he seemed more like a weird shamanistic figure who uses some sort of supernatural surgery to do his work. In pathologic you literally get to talk and trade organs with supernatural beings you find in the swamps, IIRC.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2014, 11:04:51 am »

Hey Draco, reckon you could update the OP/title?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2014, 01:29:28 pm »

Hey Draco, reckon you could update the OP/title?

This is my...?  Oh hey, it is.

What do you want it changed to?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2014, 01:30:34 pm »

Might be a good idea to mention the remake/kickstarter in the title.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8