Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do you think about my bedroom grid?  (Read 1618 times)

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
What do you think about my bedroom grid?
« on: December 03, 2023, 02:01:44 pm »

It saves space with the corridors one normally would use for bedrooms, while also allowing each dwarf to have his/her own place. Combines the space efficiency of dormitories with dwarven comfort.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

zemaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about my bedroom grid?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 03:35:28 pm »

Your bedroom grid makes me think there are x-silk sock-x scattered randomly through the rest of your fort.  Also makes me cringe to think about some rando walking through bedrooms while the occupant is sleeping.

Looks efficient and minimalist, though, which I assume is the point of this exercise.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 01:21:35 am »

The lack of horizontal connections forces an unnecessarily long route from the bottom-right. I think putting the doors in the corners of the rooms (i.e., connecting 4 rooms with a single door) and having dwarves traverse diagonally might be more efficient (while not requiring any extra doors.)

That said, the most efficient way to pack bedrooms is always going to be a 3D dwarven borg cube rather than a single z-level arrangement.

Personally, I just distribute my bedrooms around the shaft leading down through the caverns, like an inverted skyscraper. Nothing better to do with that space, and traversing 20 z-levels of stairs is the same as traversing 20 tiles of floor. (For comparison, the bottom-right room in your setup may as well be 100 z-levels down, near the magma sea.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 01:42:55 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 11:31:52 am »

The lack of horizontal connections forces an unnecessarily long route from the bottom-right. I think putting the doors in the corners of the rooms (i.e., connecting 4 rooms with a single door) and having dwarves traverse diagonally might be more efficient (while not requiring any extra doors.)

That said, the most efficient way to pack bedrooms is always going to be a 3D dwarven borg cube rather than a single z-level arrangement.

Personally, I just distribute my bedrooms around the shaft leading down through the caverns, like an inverted skyscraper. Nothing better to do with that space, and traversing 20 z-levels of stairs is the same as traversing 20 tiles of floor. (For comparison, the bottom-right room in your setup may as well be 100 z-levels down, near the magma sea.)

I plan to eventually have horizontal connections as well (to optimize pathing), however right now I don't have enough doors to even cover the holes I currently have. As for taking advantage of Z-levels, I plan more "bedroom floors" when I run out of space here, on lower Z-levels.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 02:11:07 pm »

Used to be that dwarves got bad thoughts from noise created from workshops, hauling etc and so having all bedrooms on one level was not as daft as you would think. Although I think that changed and now only engraving, digging, wood cutting and few other things create the bad thoughts. So the asterisk on that would be dont dig around the bedrooms and dont put bedrooms close to the surface.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 03:37:46 pm »

Having multiple paths into the bedrooms might not be a benefit. It would lead to dwarfs turning around and seeking a new path when a slower dwarf is blocking a doorway. Rather, consider making all those single door entrances into double door entrances.

There is some code that says "my chosen path is obstructed, so try a quick fix first by trying to walk around the obstruction so I can continue on my chosen path" and when that fails, the code says "try to find a new path" which can cause dwarfs to go much larger distances. This is why people suggest hallways be several tiles wide.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 09:08:18 pm »

Thanks for the advice, but the fort succumbed to FPS death few (IRL) days after this post was made. Now I have a completely different layout.

eyehair

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 03:25:28 pm »

might be late on this but at first glance this looks like fps hell ,
100 rooms with only 1 single thin really thin hallway connecting to them :skull:

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 07:46:19 am »

I like putting the bed in the center of a 3x3 room so dwarfs going straight to it still see get a good thought from any other owned furniture I've placed in the bedroom. If the bed is in a corner they may not interact with a coffer or statue on the other side.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2024, 04:35:54 pm »

Personally, I just distribute my bedrooms around the shaft leading down through the caverns, like an inverted skyscraper.

this is my jam now too. it just makes sense™