Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 77

Author Topic: BYOR5.5 - Day 9: Just Kidding. Game Over.  (Read 124327 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR5.5 - Day 1: Ghostly Meeting
« Reply #105 on: December 14, 2010, 09:03:58 am »

Jokerman:
The RVS itself isn't what interests me; I like to start playing once people start to get serious and post things with content (for example, the argument I'm having with Zathras). So, in response to the question that was asked, no, I don't see anything useful coming from RVS. I would also add that some of us are already past that stage.

But if no one had randomly voted you in this stage of the game, would you be having said argument?

Zathras:
In your own words, RVS is over, and we're full-throttle scumhunting. Your refusal to participate in RVS is scummy on its own, but even scummier is your saying that lurking is OK (yes, you did, see above). You a) actively refused to consider a cultist faction until called up on it; b) think town lurking is not scummy; c) think RVS is useless, even if it brought up the first interesting conversation of the game; and d) have failed to do anything useful for town whatsoever.  You are scum. If pressed for details, I'd guess of the cultist kind.

That's an interesting leap there.  How do you figure cultist?

Archangel:
Archangel:  Did you remember to wear undergarments?  Also, tell me two people here you'd want to be on a scum team with.
I did.
As for the serious question, I would want Zathras, because he is fun and a very capable player, and someone expendable, like Native Foreigner or Nirur Torir.

Noted.  Unvote.

IronyOwl:
While I'm at it, IronyOwl:  Which two people here do you think would make the best scum duo?  Why?
At the moment I'm leaning towards me n Zathras. I consider us both good players of the detail-aware variety. I'm actually not sure I've ever seen Zathras' scum game, but if it's essentially his town game (as I strive for myself) I think we'd be very, very good at annihilating weak players and going head-to-head with any strong ones who suspected us.

Of course, I'm currently in fuck yeah Zathras mode for his brutal dissection of Jokerman, so that could be coloring my opinion. Zath n Pandar might be pretty good for scumbuddies that rage a bit at each other, meaning if either falls the other looks good.

Buddying noted.

And since I don't think you two have been hit with a question yet...

Ottofar:  Let's assume you're a Jack of All Trades, and it's night 1 after a mislynch.  There is someone you suspect around 60%.  Would you inspect them or kill them?

Person:  What two types of personalities would you prefer to be on a scum team with you?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #106 on: December 14, 2010, 09:42:05 am »

Since it's such a role-heavy game, and the roles are so unpredictable, I can't really say much for certain other than that this game will likely be won or lost through roles alone...
NO. BAD Argembarger. You scumhunt. You always scumhunt. No matter how powerful or numerous power roles are, scumhunting is essential. It tells us things powers can't, whether because there's too many targets, scum had a roleblock/redirect, or you died before letting everyone know the terrible truth.

Plus, it's free. Not scumhunting (or scumhunting less, on the notion that your powers will do the work for you) is in some ways less sensible than not using your powers on the opposite reasoning.

Yes, these are true facts that you speak.

Scumhunting is indeed more important in a game like this with so many potentially insane roles, because independent of the primary lynch target each day, it's definitely beneficial to have secondary targets for the crazy kids with bazookas who are no doubt polishing their bazookas off and looking for a bazooka target.

What I meant was that the game was likely going to be won through power roles more than standard lynches; scumhunting is always vital.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 14, 2010, 09:43:51 am »

God damn you addiction, ui should be studying !

I would like to remind people of BYOR 4  we had town, mafia, scum and arsonist. We really can't hope for a only scum and mafia game,

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 14, 2010, 10:04:59 am »

Ottofar:  Let's assume you're a Jack of All Trades, and it's night 1 after a mislynch.  There is someone you suspect around 60%.  Would you inspect them or kill them?

It depends on the player. Most players I'd kill, but some I'd inspect.

Mysteriousbluepuppet,
MBP, what colour is my house?

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2010, 10:07:46 am »

Oh missed it.  Probly white ? I don't know and i doubt i'll learn it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 14, 2010, 11:00:24 am »

Argembarger:

-snip-

Scumhunting is indeed more important in a game like this with so many potentially insane roles, because independent of the primary lynch target each day, it's definitely beneficial to have secondary targets for the crazy kids with bazookas who are no doubt polishing their bazookas off and looking for a bazooka target.

What I meant was that the game was likely going to be won through power roles more than standard lynches; scumhunting is always vital.

You should be hesitant to assume too much about power roles.  If all else fails, scum hunting can always be trusted.

Ottofar:

What would be your determining factor between killing and inspecting?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 14, 2010, 11:57:18 am »

Unvote.
Nirur, I don't think we've shared a game so far; tell me something about your playstyle that I should know; the kind of thing that if I had a meta-based read about you I'd know already, please.
I don't feel experienced enough to do meta-based readings yet, nor do I feel that I have a set-in playstyle. I do have the tendency to procrastinate-lurk when I'm not sure who to go after and don't feel like sifting through the thread; please call me out on it if you think I'm lurking.

Jokerman:
Native: I don't really care. If he lacks respect for skills, that's cool - I'm not looking for his approval in any way. (Plus I've probably won more games than he's even played in.)
How many games do you feel that you can say "I won this. It was largely because of me that my side, the town, won." I don't care about games you won as scum, where lurking is a valid strategy, or games where you won without doing much. Please provide an example.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 14, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »

Ottofar:

What would be your determining factor between killing and inspecting?

Scumhunting skills.

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 14, 2010, 12:30:56 pm »

FUCKING FIREFOX ARRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Don't have much time to post today, not sure if I'll be back.

Zathras: I'm not sure how to make you see what I'm trying to say. Honestly I don't think we're on the same page, because whatever you say seems to miss the point of what I'm trying to say (or maybe it's the other way around). I don't think lurking is okay, but I think there are more important things to focus on. Maybe you're right that we can do both; I know that I have a hard time doing both. One thing that I have decided on is that you don't feel like scum right now. As such, I think it would be better to focus on pulling other players into the game, and we can revisit this argument D2, when lurking becomes a bigger thing and when it might make more sense to us. Does that sound reasonable?

Native: It's funny, because someone asked me that same question like, last year when I said that I hated RVS. And you know what? It hasn't affected the game yet. I'm just saying, it's not like I just ignore the game until D2. I'm here and ready to play, I just don't like wasting time with throwing stupid questions around. Like the one you quoted there.

Toaster: Uhh...what? Yes? I wasn't even random-voted this game, dude. Are you even looking?

IronyOwl: It's so cute, the way you can copy what Zathras says and repost it! I'm so proud of you. Now, how about we try actually making our own suspicions, huh?

Nirur: First and most important, how is that important to the game? And secondly, I might just do that when I have enough time, which I don't now. Sorry. Though my scum victories have been pretty sweet, IMHO.
Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 14, 2010, 01:08:13 pm »

Jokerman-EXE, do you feel that this random question and voting stage will bring tangible results?

Cough

Yes, he asked other people questions there too, but it was you that was voted.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 14, 2010, 01:46:23 pm »

IronyOwl: It's so cute, the way you can copy what Zathras says and repost it! I'm so proud of you. Now, how about we try actually making our own suspicions, huh?
Well, it's RVS for the most part, and I don't like RVS, so I figured I'd just sit here and wait for someone else to do things for me.

Haha, but really, if Zathras wasn't going after you for your bullshit I'd be doing so much more rigorously. In fact, why don't I point out some original suspicions in that same vein?

As such, I think it would be better to focus on pulling other players into the game, and we can revisit this argument D2, when lurking becomes a bigger thing and when it might make more sense to us.
So after spending all this time saying that lurking isn't a big deal, you say it would be better to focus on "pulling other players into the game." I thought your time was better spent scumhunting?

Oh yes, and there's this:
I think that the RV phase is a stupid waste and I'll participate when it's time to participate.
So, RVS is a stupid waste, but you're now going to focus on "pulling other players into the game." How are you going to do that while skipping RVS, I wonder? I'm sure this isn't just an attempt to sound reasonable while deflecting.

If you're completely convinced that all the active players are town, then I can see going after lurkers.
By "completely convinced," I'm making a point that you really shouldn't dedicate all of your attention to lurkers.
In particular, I find this utterly scummy. The first quote is the absolute pinnacle of "ignore lurkers" short of outright stating they should be ignored completely and no matter what. You don't even say "once you think the active people are town, go after lurkers," you say "when you are completely convinced everyone else is town, then I can see going after lurkers." It's not The Thing To Do, it's just understandable that someone would go after lurkers once everyone else is confirmed town.

Please, if you can think of a way to make that sentence defend lurking more without trying to apply some sort of blanket shield to anyone who isn't posting, say so. I honestly can't.

So then, you say what you meant by "going after lurkers is understandable if every single other person is confirmed town" was really "don't waste all of your time going after lurkers." Weird. I wonder why you didn't just say something like that to begin with? It's not like you forgot adjectives anywhere else- you noted that you should be completely convinced of everyone else, so I'm not sure why you couldn't just note that you shouldn't exclusively go after lurkers.

Would you like to shed light on any of this, so I can stop copying Zathras?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 14, 2010, 01:49:12 pm »

Native: It's funny, because someone asked me that same question like, last year when I said that I hated RVS. And you know what? It hasn't affected the game yet. I'm just saying, it's not like I just ignore the game until D2. I'm here and ready to play, I just don't like wasting time with throwing stupid questions around. Like the one you quoted there.

But without RVS, the game would get nowhere. And if you avoid participating in it, you make yourself a target (like in this game for example). But questions like the one I quoted get the game nowhere, I don't really consider that RVS, just goofing around DURING RVS. RVS, imo, should be used to get to know the people you're playing with and their playstyle.
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2010, 02:08:40 pm »

Nirur: First and most important, how is that important to the game? And secondly, I might just do that when I have enough time, which I don't now. Sorry. Though my scum victories have been pretty sweet, IMHO.
You sound confident that your "strategy" of ignoring lurkers and RVS works well. Show me where it has worked for you as a townie in the past.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2010, 02:14:41 pm »

You sound confident that your "strategy" of ignoring lurkers and RVS works well. Show me where it has worked for you as a townie in the past.

Dude, shut up. Stop being a complete asshat to Jokerman. Ask game-related questions only, please.

Other questions and whatnot are coming up, Nirur's just pissing me off.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2010, 02:44:36 pm »

I consider questions related to analyzing people's meta strategy to be game-related. I want to know more about how his strategy has worked for him as town in the past.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 77