Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Can you describe Dwarf Fortress in exactly 50 words?  (Read 18084 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can you describe Dwarf Fortress in exactly 50 words?
« on: December 05, 2010, 08:09:47 am »

Sometimes, you need to give someone the down-and-dirty explanation of the game - just enough to get them wanting more explanation, but not so much that they're bored before you've gotten to explaining the good bits. Because of this, I've been kind of honing my explanation of what the game is so that when somebody asks "you named a dwarf after me in what?" I have an explanation ready.

And then Acperience gave me the idea that, just to make it dwarfy, this needs to be EXACTLY 50 words.  :o

Here's my first attempt:
You control a group of seven dwarves as they set out to build a new outpost in the wilderness. You designate work that needs to be done, allocate labor, and manage the community as they dig, farm, build, drink, love, learn, find a magma pipe, and then burst into flame.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:50:30 am by Fish »
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: Can you describe Dwarf Fortress in 50 words or less?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:11:13 am »

Make it EXACTLY 50 words.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:12:46 am by Acperience »

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can you describe Dwarf Fortress in 50 words or less?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 08:18:40 am »

Make it EXACTLY 50 words.

lol, now you're talkin' DWARFY. I'll modify the op.  :P
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can you describe Dwarf Fortress in exactly 50 words?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 08:40:29 am »

You control a group of seven dwarves as they set out to build a new outpost in the wilderness. You designate work that needs to be done, allocate labor, and manage the community as the dwarves dig, farm, build, drink, love, learn, find a magma pipe, and then burst into flame.

I count fifty-one words.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 08:48:45 am »

You control a group of seven dwarves as they set out to build a new outpost in the wilderness. You designate work that needs to be done, allocate labor, and manage the community as the dwarves dig, farm, build, drink, love, learn, find a magma pipe, and then burst into flame.

I count fifty-one words.

He's not wrong.

My attempt.

Seven alcoholic midgets go out into the wilderness, with you as their guiding force. Eventually, more turn up. Then some more turn up with things to trade. Then elves turn up with nothing to trade. Then goblins turn up with swords.

Seven alcoholic midgets go out into the wilderness, with....
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:51:44 am by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 08:51:16 am »

Okay - fixed. :D

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 09:33:43 am »

Seven dwarves travel to a barren and desolate hellhole, but when they arrive they see challenges are many, and rewards are few.  Titans and Giant Eagles plague the world above; Forgotten Beasts and Giant Cave Spiders patrol the labyrinthine caverns below.  Their only hope lies deeper still, strike the earth!

50 words exactly
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 09:39:59 am »

Seven dwarves travel to a barren and desolate hellhole, but when they arrive they see challenges are many, and rewards are few.  Titans and Giant Eagles plague the world above; Forgotten Beasts and Giant Cave Spiders patrol the labyrinthine caverns below.  Their only hope lies deeper still, strike the earth!

50 words exactly

I contend that hellhole is not a word, but two separate words...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 09:57:00 am »

Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 09:58:58 am »

Oh god.  Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. Oh god.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:10 am »

Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 12:00:33 pm »

booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze booze oh yeah and killing elves.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 12:29:30 pm »

Seven dwarves go and build a fort.  IN A CAVE.  WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!  They dig deeper, and deeper, building elaborate traps, such as a mechanism that floods a room with magma, a cannon that fires boiling kittens, or a literal bridge dropping device.  They dig even deeper.  Lots and lots of fun ensues.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 12:35:49 pm »

Booze death booze death booze death booze death booze death booze death booze death booze death booze death booze death booze death booze death booze magma miasma magma miasma magma miasma magma miasma magma miasma magma miasma magma miasma magma miasma magma miasma magma miasma magma miasma magma miasma FUN.

done.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Captain Insano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 06:05:09 pm »

!!FUN!! X50
"Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM* "Welcome to the fort, Migrants" *SLAM*
Pages: [1] 2 3