Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Statues!  (Read 7425 times)

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Statues!
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:23:49 am »

Just had a thought  does anyone else feel the need to build loads of statues and place them everywhere!

My forts do not feel complete without least a grand hall with rows of them!

druid91

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Statues!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 10:04:35 am »

Eh, I mostly don't. But I have lately started making apartment complex's for the dwarves. the entry way is a statue garden for happy thoughts. Oddly enough my last fortress had Urist the gloved Incineration as it's most popular statue. A female dwarven god. Roughly half of them depicted her devouring dwarves.
The least you could have done was throw down some booze and seasoning. Abyssal Monsters that Creatures of the Light Know Not Of aren't savages, y'know. Sharing's caring.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:11:35 am »

I sure as hell do. Statuary for the statuary god!

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:14:41 am »

I always set up a double row of them leading to my merchant entrance.  Usually the nastier ones, unless I forget, then the elves are greeted with depictions of dwarves eating cheese.  The funniest one yet was a set of metal ones all about things burning on a fortress with a magma waterfall on the entrance.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:30:00 am »

Statuary for the statuary god!

That’s my new sig now! I don’t bother placing certain statues until the masons get to a good level but I feel statues just fit in with fortresses!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 10:39:22 am »

if you build a lot of statues you're bound to get some good ones.  One of my original dwarves has been in the hospital with a smashed foot for a few years.  He has a solid gold statue of himself getting fired from the position of expedition leader next to him.  I'm hoping it will hasten his death.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:10:58 am »

Lulz!

I love statues. Statues everywhere!
Unfortunately, my statue-makers suck arse.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 11:17:18 am »

themed clusters of statues yeah.  If someone makes a heroic image of my militia smiting down enemies they go in barracks or individual bedrooms.  The most epic pieces form centrepieces to public rooms
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 12:21:25 pm »

if you build a lot of statues you're bound to get some good ones.  One of my original dwarves has been in the hospital with a smashed foot for a few years.  He has a solid gold statue of himself getting fired from the position of expedition leader next to him.  I'm hoping it will hasten his death.
That is hilarious. I really need to start paying attention to what my statues depict.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 12:31:35 pm »

Statuary for the statuary god!

That’s my new sig now! I don’t bother placing certain statues until the masons get to a good level but I feel statues just fit in with fortresses!

I get such a warm and fuzzy feeling when someone sigs me. Thanks for doing so!

Re: On Topic

Its weird how even if the statue depicts something horrible and tragic it will still generate happy thoughts. Very strange. I try to put positive ones up wherever I can, and sell the really sad ones. Or put them in tombs. There isn't a more appropriate place to be depressed.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 12:39:48 pm »

Yup, I love statues. Line halls, roads, whatever with them. Put them in dining rooms, dwarves rooms, stockpile rooms whereever I can fit them. Place them atop my forts battlements and the keep roof too. I build my walls 2 or 3 thick just so I can leave little niches in them to put a statue as well.

Though I usually wait till I've killed a year or 2's worth of ambushes/sieges to start making them, gotta give the masons and forge workers something to use for their motiff. That and I want to give them a chance to hit legendary first with other projects.

gasman

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Word
    • View Profile
    • Rusty Spatula
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 12:52:54 pm »

I only give statues to my favorite dwarves, the ones who make me giggle with glee the most. Like Atis, the militia commander hammerdwarf, who not only beat an ettin and a cyclops to death, but vomited on them as he did so. How degrading is that?! Not only are all your limbs being broken, but you are being covered in the stomach contents of the very one bashing you inwards. Hence, four gold statues of the highest quality for him.

And that is the saddest thing I have ever heard. Dear god, that poor dwarf. Give him a dwarven funeral; obsidionize him.
I sing of a tale of dwarven lore
Of glorious and bloody war
Of ale to be feared,
And long braided beards
On the women we all do adore.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 01:20:03 pm »

I like statues but only a few of them are epic. Like a dwarf striking down a minotaur or such ... i save the epic ones and the bad ones.. like. "this is a statue of a cave spider" i just put wherever.. or throw into magma.

edit: in one of my forts i used statues as crosses. i built them over graves like so:

S_
 \_G|

Sure there's an opening so people can just walk down into the grave .. but that's part of the fun. I like the idea of thieves being able to sneak down there to steal something, or ogres wandering there to eat the dead.. or building destroyers to tear the grave to pieces.. etcetera. It gives cause to protect the whole graveyard, keeping the deceased in the game. :) also, since i place the statues mostly at random, it's a bit fun to see the final piece in the story of a dwarf.
"This is Catten McWoodBurner. She immigrated in 720. She married in 722. She had two sons and one daughter between 722 and 727. She was killed in 728 by a cave crocodile along with her youngest son. She is buried under the statue of a finely crafted mountain goat in marble."

Something like that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 01:29:07 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 01:21:32 pm »

Use excess statues to convert mines into bedrooms. Sleep in the dark depths of the earth with the shadows of various creatures surrounding you.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 02:26:28 pm »

I use statues for traffic control of wagons.  Kind of like scary signposts.

I haven't played since statues began having descriptions so I'll have to start being more careful about mass producing them.  Themed statue placement seems a clear winner here.
Pages: [1] 2 3