Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Xsyon  (Read 10877 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Xsyon
« on: December 08, 2010, 01:12:08 pm »

http://www.xsyon.com/features

I know the disdain that many here have for MMO games. I know that many here will not part with their money easily(rightly so). So I present here a place to discuss a game that I have been sucked into pretty hard. It's in closed beta for those who purchase it with an unknown release date. The game is signifigantly better than it was 4 months ago when I looked into it.

Imagine Wurm Online with better graphics and slightly reduced frustration. Imagine the discovery of crafts like in A Tale in the Desert.

The game is set after the fall of society in 2012. Modern technology is gone. Humans gather in tribes to build camps, towns and cities. They terraform the land around them and scavenge materials to make tools, armor, weapons and buildings with.

I haven't seen any griefing which is odd in itself given human nature. It's fairly stable and new features are being added. I won't tell you to pre-order but as fans of Dwarf Fortress I think you would be remiss if you didn't keep an eye on it. If you do join in, my name is Hemmingjay and you should start in Secret Cove.

Oh, the forums are pretty much empty because everyone talks in game.

EDIT: Had to fix the title, as I misspelled it originally.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 09:49:35 am by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
Re: Xyson
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 01:15:27 pm »

I heard about this quite a bit, though when I looked for information on it, it just seemed to show a lot of terraforming and resource collection. Granted, that was quite a while back, and it's probably gotten a lot further than that now. I'll keep an eye on this one, but I really don't like the idea of buying something I know nearly nothing about.

Hope you have fun with it in the beta, though!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 01:46:19 pm »

I actually just purchased this on a whim (what can I say, I'm a sucker for games with lots of crafting). Haven't gotten in-game yet, waiting on the paypal to clear.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:21:12 pm »

It's like ATITD?  Uh oh.

If I was in college I'd be all over this.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:44:57 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFl5OIRA8L8

Hmmm... I might get suckered in.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:50:55 pm »

It looks like it has a lot of cool features, but just looking through the list makes me know that this game isn't for me...

- Characters age visibly. Ageing affects character statistics. (I have to worry enough about getting old in Real Life.  I don't want to have the reminder in my face every time my character gets another grey hair and loses another point of Endurance.)
- Statistics increase or decrease based on actions, experience injuries and age. (A game should never permanently punish a persistant player character for making a mistake.  This isn't a Roguelike.)
- Skills decrease over time if not used. (A Game should never punish a player for taking a break or doing something more interesting for a while.  They'll burn more players out than they bring in with this "feature".  Grinding, anyone?)
- Craftsmen are limited to the number of patterns they learn, gaining the ability to add more patterns to their knowledge base as they advance. (They make it seem like our brains are like hard drives with a (very) limited amount of space.  "Sorry, you can't learn to make any more types of armor because you already know 4 types.")
- Bonuses to stats and skills for town leaders. (Why? Just because you're mayor doesn't make you stronger, faster, or smarter!)
- Religion. (Real World + Religion = Problems.  People will get way too personal over finding a Bible in a game.)

It seems pretty interesting, and I'd play it if it weren't for the stuff I mentioned above.  Developpers need to realize that realism can be good, but some realistic things shouldn't be implemented.  Other than that, I hope that the plethora of other features get implemented in more games - I just don't know if I can enjoy a game with the things listed above.  Games that have invisible barriers and punish you for not playing (Or being a long time player, even!) aren't for me.

One thing that sounds really interesting is the evolving game world - Will people eventually find out how to make fire arms?  The sheer detail that can be put into the game (And that has) is really interesting.  The background story sounds really cool, too.

Sorry if I sound too negative, but I do appreciate the link.  It got me thinking about other things I'd like to see in more games.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »

I like the mentioned realism. *shrugs*

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 03:06:12 pm »

It looks interesting, but the skill decay and the skill/stat loss on death are major downsides imo. It really depends how the skills are - if they're easy to raise and don't take a ton of time it wouldn't be that bad, but if it takes a long time like in Wurm it really kills my desire to play. I used to play Wurm online back when it released, but I went on a vacation and took a break from the game for about a month and came back to find all my top skills decayed to the point that it would take me three months to get them back.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:07:59 pm »

It all depends on how much the skill matters and what the decay/relearn rate is.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 03:08:29 pm »

To each their own.  I was just mentioning why I won't play it.  Honestly, I don't like skill decay at all.

But if it's your cup of milk, and you enjoy it, great!  If these people can have a successful game with what they have, even better!  We need people who think outside of the box with games and be successful with it.  There are just some things I like about the box.  I'm willing to experiment, but past experience and a required investment kind of turn me off.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 03:10:53 pm »

It looks like it has a lot of cool features, but just looking through the list makes me know that this game isn't for me...
[...words]

Not too much of that bothers me, actually. Limited crafting patterns seems potentially really stupid, however.

It looks interesting, but the skill decay and the skill/stat loss on death are major downsides imo. It really depends how the skills are - if they're easy to raise and don't take a ton of time it wouldn't be that bad, but if it takes a long time like in Wurm it really kills my desire to play. I used to play Wurm online back when it released, but I went on a vacation and took a break from the game for about a month and came back to find all my top skills decayed to the point that it would take me three months to get them back.

In my opinion stat gain should be extremely fast and losing said stats should be even faster. People should rise and fall constantly, and without spending fifty hours to recover a few lost skills.

I'm not sure yet how this game handles things. From what I can see, the game developer's aren't exactly sure yet either. It's definitely interesting however, there's no way I'd throw money at it yet without a demo. Kinda learned my lesson from LOVE, there (which wasn't actually working when I paid for it.)

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 03:15:39 pm »

Well atlesat Love was cheap(bought it worst game ever)
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 03:20:23 pm »

absolutely to each their own. I haven't noticed any skill decay despite reading that too. Being limited in the number of things you know how to make is another nod to realism. Our brains are like hard drives good sir. You can only remember how to make so many things, and the number is around 100, not 4(at this point). Haven't seen religion, maybe it's not implemented yet or never will be. I don't know and can't really defend anything nor do I want to.

I understand not wanting to spend money on something but can't see making up your mind on something you don't know much about.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 03:21:43 pm »

I think you guys are reading this wrong:

Craftsmen are limited to the number of patterns they learn, gaining the ability to add more patterns to their knowledge base as they advance.
Craftsmen are limited to the number of patterns they learn, not that the number of patters a craftsman learns is limited (at least not ridiculously so, I assume). It basically means you cannot craft what you don't have a pattern for and that as you advance, you learn more, but it doesn't mean every craftsmen will have the exact same pattern, even if they are raising the same skill. At least that's what I could gather from the crafting statements.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. I liked it.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 03:24:53 pm »

LOVE had a bit of potential, it's just it was in a constant state of disrepair and when I started the game itself was gutted beyond recognition and existing in a world that's already been pretty much harvested of all of its resources, as near I could tell

The dev seriously needed a server reset and a Stable/Beta server combination.

... But I'll go more on-topic now.

Did I miss a post saying how much Xyson was? No demo and incomplete really means it's a gamble of an investment. Worse, the small number of people who will actually take the risk means that in-game you're going to be in a vast, completely empty world.

And yet it looks damned interesting. I'll be cautiously following it until some demo or free weekend or what not appears.
I think you guys are reading this wrong:

Craftsmen are limited to the number of patterns they learn, gaining the ability to add more patterns to their knowledge base as they advance.
Craftsmen are limited to the number of patterns they learn, not that the number of patters a craftsman learns is limited (at least not ridiculously so, I assume). It basically means you cannot craft what you don't have a pattern for and that as you advance, you learn more, but it doesn't mean every craftsmen will have the exact same pattern, even if they are raising the same skill. At least that's what I could gather from the crafting statements.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. I liked it.

Ah, so it's more like unlocking patterns as you level up? That's fine. Actually I don't care if the number of patterns you can know at a time IS limited. But the brain-as-a-hardrive comparison fails hard unless patterns can also be deleted.

I do not want to experience "Ah man, I could have learned x if I didn't learn y back when I had no idea what I was doing! Time to start over..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6