Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We now can produce babies with two fathers.  (Read 6118 times)

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We now can produce babies with two fathers.
« on: December 09, 2010, 03:53:24 pm »

Or, at least, mice can.
http://www.medicaldaily.com/news/20101208/4511/reproductive-scientists-create-mice-from-2-fathers.htm
It's not direct, though, but still interesting.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 03:59:50 pm by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We now can produce babies with two fathers.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 04:47:31 pm »

Very interesting, although the process is a bit roundabout and currently unworkable for humans, what with the moral and ethical complications of bringing up a child just to have your man-babies. If they manage to get it to the state where you can do it in vitro I can see the science getting some use, but probably not a lot. After all I imagine it would be fairly expensive, and still easier to do things the old fashioned way of 'find a surrogate mother and just have her impregnated by one of the fathers directly'. Secondly, I don't really think people are that worried if the baby is theirs genetically.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 04:50:59 pm »

For those gay parents who do want their children to genetically reflect both of them, now they theoretically have an option.  I would imagine that having children that look like you is a pretty big thing for most parents.  Although obviously it only works for men yet, since two women would need to produce a Y-chromosome somehow.

Quote from: Opening line of the article.
Using stem cell technology, reproductive scientists in Texas...

That made me do a double-take.  I mean, who knew?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 04:56:15 pm »

For those gay parents who do want their children to genetically reflect both of them, now they theoretically have an option.  I would imagine that having children that look like you is a pretty big thing for most parents.  Although obviously it only works for men yet, since two women would need to produce a Y-chromosome somehow.
or they could just have a girl, no?
I definitely don't believe the bit in the article where they say they could create a male from two females where no male of the species still existed.

That part is indeed interesting.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:03:25 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 05:04:06 pm »

Very interesting, although the process is a bit roundabout and currently unworkable for humans
Yeah, their process looks way too complicated. Just the fact that they need pluripotent stem cells to start with is tricky.

I'm curious now, does oocyte production require two x chromosomes? Because if it doesn't, they might be able to produce an egg from a male parent via stem cell manipulation. You'd only get a 50% success rate, of course, since having two Y chromosomes would do Bad Things. But it would be a lot simpler than this XO business they're messing around with.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 05:08:47 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:43:48 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 05:12:37 pm »

Yeah, two women could just always have girls.  In fact, that's probably more workable since with men you'd have to avoid the YY possibility...

Although there is the Komodo Dragon, which is strange because the females can self fertilize to produce both male and female offspring.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 05:16:21 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 02:44:00 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 05:17:49 pm »

reptiles use a different set of sexual chromosomes, which work differently from the human ones. I dont recall the details.
Very interesting, although the process is a bit roundabout and currently unworkable for humans
Not that unworkable, strictly speaking. Sexual precursos have been derived from ipsc's already.
I don't think the bit about cells losing "spontaneously" an Y chromosome is exactly encouraging, though.

AFAIK the Houston Medical Center is the biggest in the world. It's not surprising that many cutting edge things are done there.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:24:50 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 05:18:59 pm »

In the Komodo dragon's case, the female actually has 2 different chromosones while males have 2 of the same.  So females can self fertilize to make males (of course, since those males then breed with her, you get a ridiculously inbred stock).

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 05:20:54 pm »

In the Komodo dragon's case, the female actually has 2 different chromosones while males have 2 of the same.  So females can self fertilize to make males (of course, since those males then breed with her, you get a ridiculously inbred stock).

That is ridiculously twisted. How did reproductive functions jump chromosomes?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 05:21:02 pm »

yes, that was that I understood. Parthenogenesis in reptiles produces males, not females.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 05:23:09 pm »

I'm not quite sure what to think of this, other than it being good for gay couples I guess.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 05:24:12 pm »

They didn't.  They just developed the other way round.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 05:26:17 pm »

They didn't.  They just developed the other way round. I mean, there's no particular reason why men have the y chromosone.
That would mean their family tree separates from the rest of the world before the sexes split, wouldnt' it? I don't think their line is quite that old.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:28:18 pm by Flaede »
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2